Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages: 1

allyourbaseare Jun 17, 2008

So, I love the guy from TMNT 3 on the NES, but I can't seem to get into this one.  Could anyone name a few tracks to get me started?

Ashley Winchester Jun 17, 2008 (edited Jun 17, 2008)

Oh definately:

- Boss Themes (which rule!)
Frost Dragon (if you like metal you'll probably love the drumming here)
Skullpion
Relic Keeper
I'm Tellin' Ya, I'm Ed!
Vambee Church Battle

- Others
Corona Jumper
Gondola Star
Midair Giant Playground Battle
Fight at Underground Facility
Topo's Groove Heaven

If you don't want to hunt for the mp3s I have an extra copy of this soundtrack (minus the slipcase and artbook) I'd could send out to you. The case is rather beat up but the discs are mint, nobody seems to give a rats arse about this album so if your interested drop me a line. I have two since I managed to grab a copy w/a slipcase for $10 off eBay and the other has been sitting around. I'd honestly like for someone to have it if they like the music even if I get nothing for it.

Also, it should be noted the soundtrack doesn't have all the game's music either. Still, the tracks that are missing are mostly variations of the tracks that do appear and are used when characters interact with one another or rather forgettable mini-game numbers. The only track I miss is the Grillin' Village night theme but beyond that they did a real good job not cutting anything really important.

GoldfishX Jun 19, 2008

Wow, I didn't know he did TMNT 3 on the NES. Can't say I recognize a pattern or anything.

The two tracks that stand out to me are the main theme (I just know it played during the first level) and Mid-Air Playground Battle (a rockin' arrangement of the main theme).

Wanderer Jun 19, 2008

Pick a boss theme. Any boss theme. The area themes are generally very solid as well. This was the soundtrack that had me convinced Sekito was going to be a major Square force... but in the decade that followed, he mostly found himself doing thankless arrangements of older works.

Looks like things are looking up for him as he's been chosen to score "The Last Remnant." Should be interesting to see what he comes up with.

longhairmike Jun 19, 2008

the bunnies really hate opera singing sound the frost dragon theme.  Which is kinda odd since they are pretty indifferent about nightwish...

Ashley Winchester Jun 19, 2008

longhairmike wrote:

the bunnies really hate opera singing sound the frost dragon theme.  Which is kinda odd since they are pretty indifferent about nightwish...

Yeah, the "ghostly warble" found in some of tracks is somewhat simular to the opera singing in Parasite eve in that most mention it can be somewhat annoying or that it pushes against the capabilities of the PS1. It doesn't really bother me though.

Chris Jun 19, 2008 (edited Jun 19, 2008)

Actually Yuichi Sakakura, Tomoya Tomita, and Kouzo Nakamura did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project for the NES. Sekito did do Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Missions for DOS and, with Yuko Kurahashi, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers for Game Boy. The score to Brave Fencer Musashi is quite different from the TMNT scores though.

allyourbaseare Jun 19, 2008

Chris wrote:

Actually Yuichi Sakakura, Tomoya Tomita, and Kouzo Nakamura did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project for the NES. Sekito did do Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Missions for DOS and, with Yuko Kurahashi, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back from the Sewers for Game Boy. The score to Brave Fencer Musashi is quite different from the TMNT scores though.

You should let them know.  That's where I got my info from (info in the lightest of terms, of course).

Dais Jun 19, 2008

Chris wrote:

Sekito did do Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Missions for DOS

wha....? seriously? Where did you get this information? I always assumed Manhattan Missions was developed by an American or European company.

Chris Jun 19, 2008 (edited Jun 19, 2008)

Dais is probably right about the DOS title -- Jeroen Tel is credited at IMDb for Manhattan Missions and it's a bit odd Sekito would score the title alone. However, there is no information that backs up Sekito's role on the NES' Manhattan Project (check YouTube's credits). Wikipedia bases their credits on the mainly accurate Squaremusic credits for Sekito, but most of Wikipedia's other composer pages are even more inaccurate. I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to cleaning up, but at least I'm courteous enough to link to much more accurate (if occasionally flawed) sources!

Ramza Jun 20, 2008

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Corona Jumper
Topo's Groove Heaven

My favorite songs. smile

allyourbaseare Jun 20, 2008

Chris wrote:

but at least I'm courteous enough to link to much more accurate (if occasionally flawed) sources!

??  So now I'm not courteous?  sad

Dais Jun 20, 2008

Chris wrote:

Dais is probably right about the DOS title -- Jeroen Tel is credited at IMDb for Manhattan Missions and it's a bit odd Sekito would score the title alone. However, there is no information that backs up Sekito's role on the NES' Manhattan Project (check YouTube's credits). Wikipedia bases their credits on the mainly accurate Squaremusic credits for Sekito, but most of Wikipedia's other composer pages are even more inaccurate. I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to cleaning up, but at least I'm courteous enough to link to much more accurate (if occasionally flawed) sources!

I'm rather disappointed someone would post credits for a game on IMDB instead of Mobygames...IMDB is full of wonky info, while you rarely run across false stuff on Mobygames. Nicer people on the messageboards, too.

Strangely, Tel's Wikipedia entry - and his annoying flash website - give him no credit for that game, although he is credited with working on the Amiga and C64 versions of the original TMNT (the one most of us remember on the NES). I had never really thought about the computer versions of TMNT and TMTNT2: The Arcade Game...but that's a rabbit hole for another time. Although...a quick trip to the Underdogs wouldn't hurt...

(I also see an entry for a Gameboy Color game called "Crimson's Mystery", but there apparently is no such game. I'll have to contact him about that - and also about Warlocked and how Wizards never came about. So many things to do!)

Oh! Where were we? Right, Sekito. I just checked GMCL, and the only thing they list that's not listed on Wikipedia is a Hokuto no Ken game for PS2. So no great insight there.

(Personally, if you really want to like Sekito, I'd say look at his early MSX stuff, then his Minstrel Saga stuff, and see how Musashi falls inbetween)

Chris Jun 20, 2008

First time I've ever heard of Sekito having a role in Hokuto no Ken. I don't understand why he would being exclusively a Square Enix employee. Another mystery...

As for Manhattan Mysteries, this YouTube video credits Kris Hatlelid and Brian Plank. I guess IMDb is wrong too as you said.

SonicPanda Jun 21, 2008

If I remember right, Sekito worked on Lethal Enforcers 2 with Kenichiro Fukui back when they were both Konami men.

The only other thing Konami-related I've seen him connected with was a Tiny Toons game on Genesis, but I can't shake the feeling I'd heard him connected with MSX Metal Gear 2 as well.

Dais Jun 21, 2008

SonicPanda wrote:

If I remember right, Sekito worked on Lethal Enforcers 2 with Kenichiro Fukui back when they were both Konami men.

The only other thing Konami-related I've seen him connected with was a Tiny Toons game on Genesis, but I can't shake the feeling I'd heard him connected with MSX Metal Gear 2 as well.

It's generally believed that Sekito composed for three MSX games: Space Manbow, SD Snatcher and Metal Gear 2. I'm not sure of the source on Metal Gear 2, but this liner notes translation indicates the first two:

http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/JointDisk/linernotes.html

Note that everyone uses nicknames, and there's a T. Sekito credited in Space Manbow's credits. It's fairly easy to make the Pekito-->Sekito jump, so that's what most people have done. And I just found the credit for Metal Gear 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDLAYKe1Bj0

(around 19:40, or a bit earlier, it's hard to see, but it definitely says Tsuyoshi Sekito)

Thanks for the link, Chris. You have to wonder where misinformation like that comes from...

Carl Jun 21, 2008 (edited Jun 21, 2008)

Wait a minute, Space Manbow and MSX Metal Gear 2???

Then the album "Konami MSX Super Best Antiques" is mostly him!
http://vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=7335

Now would that also place him in under the vague umbrella Konami Kukeiha Club moniker, since the liner notes scans on the MSX albums give KKC for the credits on that?  It looks like Miki-chan is the one being interviewed on the conversation pages of the scans...?

I had no idea he'd been around that long, I pegged him as a Square employee from the ground up, not an early 90s Konami-ist composer...   For some reason I just can't see him doing the Metal Gear 2 music AT ALL though.

Daniel K Jun 21, 2008

Carl wrote:

Wait a minute, Space Manbow and MSX Metal Gear 2???

Then the album "Konami MSX Super Best Antiques" is mostly him!
http://vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=7335

I wouldn't bet on it. If you check the credits in Metal Gear 2, you'll see no less than 7 people listed under "Music Compose", and Sekito's name is last. The name at the top is Masahiko Ikariko, and I remember reading somewhere (don't remember if it was in the soundtrack booklet or somewhere else) when I did research on the Metal Gear 2 OST CD [KICA-7501] that Ikariko composed the bulk of the soundtrack (I was obsessed with this soundtrack two years ago - definitely some of the most awesome 8-bit music ever composed).

Chris Jun 21, 2008

Daniel is right. For most of Konami's major projects, many composers worked together to produce the scores so it is usually incorrect to attribute a one or two people like scores produced by most other companies. I've listed the co-composers I could find for those MSX projects and others here. There might be more, but you get the general idea.

As for Lethal Enforcers, Fukui created the boss theme for the first title whereas Sekito scored the second title with Yuichi Sakakura. Oddly, Fukui and Sekito didn't work together during their time at Konami, but presumably knew each other given they were recruited to Square's Osaka branch around the same time.

Carl Jun 21, 2008

Daniel K wrote:

...you'll see no less than 7 people listed under "Music Compose", and Sekito's name is last. The name at the top is Masahiko Ikariko, and I remember reading somewhere (don't remember if it was in the soundtrack booklet or somewhere else) when I did research on the Metal Gear 2 OST CD [KICA-7501] that Ikariko composed the bulk of the soundtrack (I was obsessed with this soundtrack two years ago - definitely some of the most awesome 8-bit music ever composed).

Oh yeah, it's some top-level VGM classics, and there's just no way his skills were up to that.  Phew, that's a relief actually....

Shoe Jun 23, 2008

Ashley Winchester wrote:

It should be noted the soundtrack doesn't have all the game's music either.

A couple of songs from the beginning are in Redbook on the game-disc itself (as well as the Trial Edition).

Related Albums

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB