Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

Zane May 30, 2008

I expect the same thing to happen with OoE that happened with DoS and PoR - I will reluctantly buy the game, play it nonstop for three days and then sell it, wondering what the hell just happened. I get so obsessive with portable CV games, but as soon as I unlock everything (yeah, I got Axe Armor in PoR), I freak out and sell it. So... I guess, bring it on?

Stephen May 30, 2008

The art direction has changed significantly.  It's drawn with a more "serious" style than Portrait of Ruin.

I agree that I don't really like the stylus functionality in DoS, because you had to use it in a boss fight. The stylus functionality for PoR was not nearly as intrusive.

absuplendous May 30, 2008

I must have an unrefined palette. I've looked forward to and thoroughly enjoyed every portable Castlevania release since Circle of the Moon, and I'm just as enthused for this one. And call me a philistine, but I've never really felt that the way the portraits were drawn significantly changed the art direction, let alone defined it.

Although, I will concede that we could use a composer changeup. Recently I heard something that felt like good ol' Castlevania IV to me--atmospheric and foreboding--that I really wish would return. It was a disappointing that a musical cue that said "Castlevania" to me also skipped more than a decade of music and took me all the way back to 1991.

Still, it's one of my most anticipated titles. My interest in gaming continues to dwindle as time goes on, but I'm always able to throw myself fully into a new Castlevania--in a way, I'm thankful for that.

Herrkotowski May 30, 2008

Virtual Boot wrote:

Although, I will concede that we could use a composer changeup. Recently I heard something that felt like good ol' Castlevania IV to me--atmospheric and foreboding--that I really wish would return. It was a disappointing that a musical cue that said "Castlevania" to me also skipped more than a decade of music and took me all the way back to 1991.

If Koshiro's work on Portrait of Ruin was any indication, I think he should take the helms in future works. His stuff had that classic Castlevania feel to it.

Zane May 30, 2008

Herrkotowski wrote:
Virtual Boot wrote:

Although, I will concede that we could use a composer changeup. Recently I heard something that felt like good ol' Castlevania IV to me--atmospheric and foreboding--that I really wish would return. It was a disappointing that a musical cue that said "Castlevania" to me also skipped more than a decade of music and took me all the way back to 1991.

If Koshiro's work on Portrait of Ruin was any indication, I think he should take the helms in future works. His stuff had that classic Castlevania feel to it.

I wasn't really impressed with any of PoR's audio. My vote goes for giving Yamane a desk job answering phones and overhauling the sound design completely.

Ashley Winchester May 30, 2008

Zane wrote:
Herrkotowski wrote:
Virtual Boot wrote:

Although, I will concede that we could use a composer changeup. Recently I heard something that felt like good ol' Castlevania IV to me--atmospheric and foreboding--that I really wish would return. It was a disappointing that a musical cue that said "Castlevania" to me also skipped more than a decade of music and took me all the way back to 1991.

If Koshiro's work on Portrait of Ruin was any indication, I think he should take the helms in future works. His stuff had that classic Castlevania feel to it.

I wasn't really impressed with any of PoR's audio. My vote goes for giving Yamane a desk job answering phones and overhauling the sound design completely.

Yeah, I have to agree. The only track that really stood out to me was Koshiro's "The Gears Go Awry."

Daniel K May 30, 2008

shdwrlm3 wrote:

He mentioned in an interview recently that he takes full blame for the 3D Castlevania games not working out, and that he's intent on taking another shot at it.

Oh, great. I hope he gets it right this time. The PS2 3D Castlevanias he produced were tedious as hell, the gameplay was like watching paint dry. LoI was somewhat salvaged by the fact that it had a decent soundtrack in places and some atmosphere, while CoD was salvaged by... nothing, really. It really sucked balls. Only my long-time fan loyalty carried me through 15 hours of that atrocity.

I remember an interview with IGA back in 2003 when LoI was announced, he contemptuously said "forget those" in regard to the N64 Castlevanias. Its ironic that, despite all their obvious faults, the N64 games were superior and much more innovative than anything he's accomplished so far in the 3D realm.


Regarding the OoE trailer: the game looks really good, I will most probably end up swallowing this one as well. The music, however, is exactly what I feared and expected (I could almost hear it in my mind before). The same washed-out-shallow-quasi-fantasy-score stuff Yamane almost always puts out. The music and the character/monster design really reminded me of how far the CV series has moved from it's original horror-inspired roots. Now it's more like a generic fantasy-type of story that just happens to be set in our world.

Pellasos May 30, 2008

love the artwork and music, but lets hope those arent the best tracks on the soundtrack yet. im not a big fan of female leads, especially in a castlevania game. maybe theres more to unlock.......

oh, and please dont forget to include a much higher difficulty level.

anyway, day one.

absuplendous May 30, 2008

Pellasos wrote:

im not a big fan of female leads, especially in a castlevania game. maybe theres more to unlock.......

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll let you play as the Man with the gun.

Hell, I'm glad to see a female lead, especially one that can wield a weapon. I still haven't forgiven IGO for retconning Sonia.

Vaeran May 30, 2008

Pellasos wrote:

im not a big fan of female leads, especially in a castlevania game. maybe theres more to unlock.......

Needs more Bald Space Marine, am I right? Manly men only play manly men characters!

Kirin Lemon May 30, 2008

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Zane wrote:

I wasn't really impressed with any of PoR's audio. My vote goes for giving Yamane a desk job answering phones and overhauling the sound design completely.

Yeah, I have to agree. The only track that really stood out to me was Koshiro's "The Gears Go Awry."

Wow, that's too bad.  I feltt Portrait of Ruin had the best soundtrack since Symphony of the Night.

shdwrlm3 May 30, 2008

Here's the interview with IGA where he mentions wanting to do more 3D games: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/05/20/igar … -ecclesia/

And an IGN interview where he basically says the same thing: http://ds.ign.com/articles/874/874323p1.html

Virtual Boot wrote:

Hell, I'm glad to see a female lead, especially one that can wield a weapon. I still haven't forgiven IGO for retconning Sonia.

I always thought it was a neat twist to start off the Belmont clan with a woman, so I was disappointed by the retconning too. Still, points go to IGA for not making Shanoa A) totally titacular or B) annoyingly cute. Of course, a few years from now I'm sure he'll retcon Shanoa into a guy.

Angela May 30, 2008

Virtual Boot wrote:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll let you play as the Man with the gun.

That ain't good enough.  We need the Man with the MACHINE gun.

Daniel K May 31, 2008

Haha, "Shanoa"... Sounds like the name of a female rapper. The name and those clothes totally go with whatever jumbled period of history this is supposed to be set in. Maybe it's set in the Victorian period?

Daniel K May 31, 2008

Amazingu wrote:
Angela wrote:

We need the Man with the MACHINE gun.

I see what you did there!

Me too.

I wonder if Angela's post was a veiled request for Sota Fujimori to return to the CV series? His re-arrangement of the X68000 OST is very similar in style to that FF8 track. Personally, I'd gladly take another Sota CV score (although the beats probably wouldn't sound so phat in a DS game, it'd have to be a console one).

Pellasos May 31, 2008

Vaeran wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

im not a big fan of female leads, especially in a castlevania game. maybe theres more to unlock.......

Needs more Bald Space Marine, am I right? Manly men only play manly men characters!

no thanks. give me something simon/richter-like or even some ayami kojima lead.

shdwrlm3 May 31, 2008

Daniel K wrote:

Haha, "Shanoa"... Sounds like the name of a female rapper. The name and those clothes totally go with whatever jumbled period of history this is supposed to be set in. Maybe it's set in the Victorian period?

I actually keep thinking "Shania" whenever I see the name. Heck, you can sort of make a case for Shanoa looking like Shania.

The game is supposed to be set in the period when the Belmonts disappeared. Specifically, I think it's right after Richter, so it should be around the 1800s. Which, yeah, means Victorian.

Strangely, I remember one of the reasons IGA gave for retconning Sonia was because he didn't think it was realistic for a woman to be fighting in that era (never mind that Joan of Arc actually predated Sonia). I wonder why he thinks the 1800s is more suitable for femmes fatales?

Daniel K May 31, 2008

shdwrlm3 wrote:

Strangely, I remember one of the reasons IGA gave for retconning Sonia was because he didn't think it was realistic for a woman to be fighting in that era (never mind that Joan of Arc actually predated Sonia). I wonder why he thinks the 1800s is more suitable for femmes fatales?

That's exactly as retarded as IGA's reason not to include a clock tower stage in Lament of Innocence because the know-how to construct those wasn't available in the 12th century (which it by the way was), but then he still included huge platforms moving on conveyor belts. Or how Yamane said she didn't use the electric guitar in LoI's score because it wouldn't sit right with the feeling of the era (like the guitar riffs in Symphony would fit better into the 18th century, huh...?), but then still included a lot of techno pieces (yeah, techno is so much more 12th century than electric guitar!).

I'm not trying to be a nitpicking prick here, I know that games are supposed to be good and entertaining first and foremost, and historical accuracy matters little. What I think is very humorous, though, is that IGA constantly comes up with these stupid explanations as to why he changes this or that in the series, and it's just so laughably bad, he trips over his own explanations and edits of the CV storyline. IF you make it a point of making something historically accurate, you should at least do some background research, otherwise it really defeats the point. What I wonder is why he even bothers with this when it matters so little in the context of the game.

For reference, here is a typical Victorian lady. A little hard to do a double jump in that outfit, wouldn't you say...?

XLord007 Jun 1, 2008

I watched the new trailer.  The new art style is leagues better than the Saturday morning nonsense from Dawn and Portrait and the music is decent, but the gameplay looks uninspiring.  Would it really be too much to ask for this series to take more cues from Metroid and have more reward-based progression and exploration instead of mindless enemy grinding and weapon/magic customization?

avatar! Jun 26, 2008 (edited Jun 26, 2008)

McCall wrote:

You guys have probably seen this, but hi res trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34621.html

I WANT THE OST NOW.

Also, shivers, and tears of joy while watching this video. Love

The cut scene is certainly impressive, the graphics look good, and the music sounds OK (nothing special to my ears), but I can't help but feel we've been through this quite a few times before... yeah, we get to play as a female which is cool, but I feel this is going to be just another Symphony wannabe. Honestly, I'd almost rather just play the original Castlevania (despite the difficulty) because it offers something fresh. In fact every Castlevania through Symphony were unique and awesome, and since then they've been either unsuccessful 3-D attempts or Symphony clones. I might be wrong, but I've said "I might be wrong" for the last 4-5 Castlevania games and so far it's Clone Wars tongue

cheers,

-avatar!

Related Albums

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB