Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

Carl Dec 24, 2008

Adam Corn wrote:

Well even the English says it's from CC Arrange Album. .

Heh, now I feel silly, my short term memory remembered the picture the next day but not the words.

Qui-Gon Joe Dec 25, 2008 (edited Dec 26, 2008 by Adam Corn)

I've got to be honest... I listened to that track on the website and don't even remember it from the OST.  It is nice enough sounding, though.  Am I the only one here who's hoping that this album goes more the direction of Creid rather than Brink of Time or orchestral?  That's got to be one of my favorite arranged albums of all time, as far as style.

Kirin Lemon Dec 25, 2008 (edited Dec 26, 2008 by Adam Corn)

I'm still loving the hell out of that sample.  I NEED MORE!!

GoldfishX Dec 25, 2008 (edited Dec 26, 2008 by Adam Corn)

The sample is okay...I don't recognize the track it's based off of though.

Angela Dec 26, 2008

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:
GoldfishX wrote:

a CC tie-in

What!?  Tell me more!

I mentioned it in the VIDEO GAMES 2008 thread, but there's a new attainable ending detailing Magus' and Schala's fates.  As a CC tie-in, it's apt -- but as you'd expect, it's depressing as hell.

Pedrith Dec 26, 2008

The song is from disc two, track two.  I believe it is entitled End of Dimension.

David

Qui-Gon Joe Dec 26, 2008

Angela wrote:

I mentioned it in the VIDEO GAMES 2008 thread, but there's a new attainable ending detailing Magus' and Schala's fates.  As a CC tie-in, it's apt -- but as you'd expect, it's depressing as hell.

Whoops, missed that.  Thanks for the info!  I just watched a youtube video of it... nifty stuff.  Watching it *almost* made me want to play the game again, but I have about a dozen unfinished RPGs in my to-do pile so $40 for a game I already own and have played isn't going to happen any time soon.

Bernhardt Jan 4, 2009 (edited Jan 4, 2009)

Am I listening to the new Dragon Quest soundtrack, or an actual Chrono Cross Arrange piece?!

I'm sorry, it's a nice piece, very good quality in and of itself, but orchestral/chamber isn't what comes to mind when I think of Chrono Cross.

I was hoping for some acoustic, islandic-styled goodness, essentially "beefed up" versions of the originals with improvisation.

Or, otherwise, "Island of the Dead (Pagan Mix)." I mean, a Chrono Cross CLUB Arrange album?! You know you want it...

This's giving me notions of something cold, rather than of something warm.

P.S. Angela, thanks for posting up the MP3 clip! I couldn't critique if you hadn't! big_smile

Ramza Jan 4, 2009

Bernhardt wrote:

Am I listening to the new Dragon Quest soundtrack, or an actual Chrono Cross Arrange piece?!

meh. Man up and accept that classical arrangements are straight up awesome.

Tons of people had a bitch fit over Brink of Time (CT) because it was jazzy and they wanted an orchestra album.

Now Mitsuda gets all chamber music on us and someone has to spazz over it. C'mon now...

Chris Jan 4, 2009

If I heard something like that coming from Koichi Sugiyama, I'd really have to question whether he deserved that teaching post at the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts. Fortunately, most of String Quartet Dragon Quest was awesome!

Bernhardt Jan 4, 2009 (edited Jan 4, 2009)

Ramza wrote:
Bernhardt wrote:

Am I listening to the new Dragon Quest soundtrack, or an actual Chrono Cross Arrange piece?!

meh. Man up and accept that classical arrangements are straight up awesome.

Tons of people had a bitch fit over Brink of Time (CT) because it was jazzy and they wanted an orchestra album.

Now Mitsuda gets all chamber music on us and someone has to spazz over it. C'mon now...

Whoa, dude, relax...not like I'm going to have a...hemorrhoid...or whatever...over it...

No need to take it THAT harshly...

Ramza Jan 5, 2009

well I was just worried about your health. Glad no hemorrhoids are resulting from your dislike of the CC arrangements thus far. smile

Ramza Jan 5, 2009

Chris wrote:

If I heard something like that coming from Koichi Sugiyama, I'd really have to question whether he deserved that teaching post at the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts. Fortunately, most of String Quartet Dragon Quest was awesome!

Personally I think the Brass Quintets are better. Someone else out there may agree with me, seeing as they're making a *third* one in this series. Pretty psyched about it!

Wanderer Jan 5, 2009

classical arrangements are straight up awesome.

This.

That said, the sample was a little boring. Good instrumentation, dull arrangement. But I'm not a fan of the original piece either.

TerraEpon Jan 5, 2009

Ramza wrote:
Bernhardt wrote:

Am I listening to the new Dragon Quest soundtrack, or an actual Chrono Cross Arrange piece?!

meh. Man up and accept that classical arrangements are straight up awesome.

Well not always. Nor does 'orchestral' mean 'classical'. I'd have to listen to list one again, but upon one pass I didn't think it was all that either.

Cedille Jan 5, 2009

Chris wrote:

If I heard something like that coming from Koichi Sugiyama, I'd really have to question whether he deserved that teaching post at the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts. Fortunately, most of String Quartet Dragon Quest was awesome!

Has he ever taught music there?

Chris Jan 5, 2009 (edited Jan 5, 2009)

Hayato Matsuo and Motoaki Takenouchi were both taught there and were pupils of his, so I'm pretty sure this is the case. However, I've never had it directly confirmed so maybe he taught them at a separate university. Either way, he graduated from a pretty eminent university himself and is used to teaching people from apparently the best music university in Japan, so I have respect for his musicianship (as cheesy as Dragon Quest II Suite, Jesus, and whatnot are).

Cedille Jan 5, 2009 (edited Jan 5, 2009)

Chris wrote:

Hayato Matsuo and Motoaki Takenouchi were both taught there and were pupils of his, so I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Well, Matsuo's first encounter with Sugiyama actually happened outside of the university as the interview below goes. I know little about Takenouchi, but the relationship between Sugiyama and Matsuo comes across as more bussiness-oriented friendship (at least, to me) than 'master-and-pupil'. I don't dismiss the likelihood that Sugiyama taught and influenced him personally, though.

*quoted from the DQV DS site*
Interviewer: How did you and Matsuo meet?
HM: I had helped various music-related part-time works thanks to my college buddies, and I also was introduced to Sugiyama through them.
KS: The guy who introduced him was a big house racing fan. I had previously worked as a radio commentator in the racetracks for years and composed the fanfare theme for the Central Horse Club. It was my connection to horse that made me get to know Matsuo.

Speaking of CCAA, I would love to hear "The Garden of Gods" (probably the best track along with "Telmina: Another" and “Life”) in the same arrangement as his World Destruction's Theme.

Pellasos Jan 5, 2009

i could never enjoy any music related to sugiyama. something i read a long time ago left a bad taste to me.

wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Sugiyama

"As a Japanese nationalist

Sugiyama is also known as a historical revisionist on Japanese history. Especially concerning the Nanking Massacre and Comfort Women issues, Sugiyama completely denies guilt of the Japanese Empire. He is one of the first signatories in approval of the "The Facts" advertisement in the Washington Post.[15][16] "


its simply disturbing.

i do like Motoaki Takenouchis music though, and i hope their bonds arent tight.

Smeg Jan 5, 2009

Pellasos wrote:

i could never enjoy any music related to sugiyama. something i read a long time ago left a bad taste to me.

"Sugiyama is also known as a historical revisionist on Japanese history. Especially concerning the Nanking Massacre and Comfort Women issues, Sugiyama completely denies guilt of the Japanese Empire. He is one of the first signatories in approval of the "The Facts" advertisement in the Washington Post."

its simply disturbing.

The views of the man, misguided or otherwise, should not prevent you from appreciating his music. I'm not a fan either way, but a similar example might be Wagner, whose music I can enjoy in spite of the man himself. I have Jewish friends who appreciate Wagner's music as well.

Ramza Jan 6, 2009

Smeg wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

i could never enjoy any music related to sugiyama. something i read a long time ago left a bad taste to me.

"Sugiyama is also known as a historical revisionist on Japanese history. Especially concerning the Nanking Massacre and Comfort Women issues, Sugiyama completely denies guilt of the Japanese Empire. He is one of the first signatories in approval of the "The Facts" advertisement in the Washington Post."

its simply disturbing.

The views of the man, misguided or otherwise, should not prevent you from appreciating his music. I'm not a fan either way, but a similar example might be Wagner, whose music I can enjoy in spite of the man himself. I have Jewish friends who appreciate Wagner's music as well.

This.

You just gotta remember that Sugiyama is old enough to have powerful, positive memories of imperial Japan. We don't know what that's like.

BAMAToNE Jan 6, 2009

Pellasos wrote:

i could never enjoy any music related to sugiyama. something i read a long time ago left a bad taste to me.

wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Sugiyama

"As a Japanese nationalist

Sugiyama is also known as a historical revisionist on Japanese history. Especially concerning the Nanking Massacre and Comfort Women issues, Sugiyama completely denies guilt of the Japanese Empire. He is one of the first signatories in approval of the "The Facts" advertisement in the Washington Post.[15][16] "

Didn't know that... Man, that's disappointing. Sugiyama has always been one of my absolute favorites.

XISMZERO Jan 6, 2009 (edited Jan 6, 2009)

He probably doesn't see his overseas/American fans too kindly, eh? Either way, it has nothing to do with him being a brilliant composer/producer.

Pellasos Jan 6, 2009

Smeg wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

i could never enjoy any music related to sugiyama. something i read a long time ago left a bad taste to me.

"Sugiyama is also known as a historical revisionist on Japanese history. Especially concerning the Nanking Massacre and Comfort Women issues, Sugiyama completely denies guilt of the Japanese Empire. He is one of the first signatories in approval of the "The Facts" advertisement in the Washington Post."

its simply disturbing.

The views of the man, misguided or otherwise, should not prevent you from appreciating his music. I'm not a fan either way, but a similar example might be Wagner, whose music I can enjoy in spite of the man himself. I have Jewish friends who appreciate Wagner's music as well.

but it actually does. i simply dont feel comfortable with his music anymore. its not like i was a big fan either way, so its relatively simple to avoid him.

Related Albums

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB