Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages: 1

Daniel K Jun 8, 2008

Have been listening to this a lot lately (the .spc-set with fittingly pompous titles courtesy of SquareTex wink). Its really beautiful music that makes awesome use of the SNES' sound chip, it manages to be powerful and captivating while at the same time being very subdued and modest in tone (the effect is somewhat reminiscent of Super Metroid's soundtrack, although they don't sound much alike). We need more VGM like this!

Did anyone ever find out who composed this? Any informed guesses?

Epsilon Jun 8, 2008

According to the Makaimura Music Collection, it looks like "Sato" composed it. yikes

Zane Jun 9, 2008

I remember when I played Demon's Crest a few months back I was totally captivated by the music. It's sorta like Super Metroid and a little like CV4... but it's not. Great stuff, though, and a great game to boot!

SquareTex Jun 9, 2008

Daniel K wrote:

fittingly pompous titles courtesy of SquareTex wink

Why, thank you! big_smile

Yeah, this has long been one of my favorite SNES soundtracks...just NAILS the mood. And it was so good that I just HAD to give these great little pieces such somber and important sounding names for the SPCs. smile

...in fact, I think one time Dais told me that the GMR listing for the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts /Gargoyle's Quest box set was USING these names, and I was like "WHA...?!? But they're UNOFFICIAL!" tongue

Daniel K Jun 9, 2008

Zane wrote:

a great game to boot!

You can say that again! Replayed it recently on an emulator for the first time in many years, and it was as awesome as ever, definitely something for Metroid/Castlevania-fans. Only thing wrong with the game is that its so damn short, even though I had forgotten most of the secrets I still ran through it in 4 hours (best ending), the game is just such a tease, leaving you wanting much more. But its great while it lasts. Its such a shame that it flopped so badly, I would have loved to see more games with Firebrand (in stead we got about a hundred Mega Man games, meh!).


SquareTex wrote:

I think one time Dais told me that the GMR listing for the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts /Gargoyle's Quest box set was USING these names, and I was like "WHA...?!? But they're UNOFFICIAL!" tongue

Yeah, your track names are still used in the listing. Cool, wonder how it ended up that way? Are the tracks nameless on the Makaimura box set, and someone just decided to use the SPC names? Or are there official names, just not translated? Or, wouldn't it be cool if whoever compiled the box set over at Suleputer just didn't know what to name the tracks, did an internet search and found the SPC-set, and decided to use those titles in the official product? That would really rule. smile

SquareTex Jun 9, 2008

Daniel K wrote:

Or, wouldn't it be cool if whoever compiled the box set over at Suleputer just didn't know what to name the tracks, did an internet search and found the SPC-set, and decided to use those titles in the official product? That would really rule. smile

It would definitely be an "aw, shucks *blush*" moment for me if it turned out to be true. wink

In addition to trying to come up with fitting names, I also did the intial timing on the set. And as Datschge could probably tell you, I sometimes let my enjoyment of this soundtrack show TOO much. For example, I just ADORE "Dance of the Snowy Barrens", so i timed it to three loops. Of course, it had to be changed since it wasn't standard. tongue

Such fond memories of college years, playing this game. 1994 was really some year for the industry. smile

Warpstar Jun 10, 2008

SquareTex wrote:
Daniel K wrote:

Or, wouldn't it be cool if whoever compiled the box set over at Suleputer just didn't know what to name the tracks, did an internet search and found the SPC-set, and decided to use those titles in the official product? That would really rule. smile

It would definitely be an "aw, shucks *blush*" moment for me if it turned out to be true. wink

Those titles were really used in the official tracklisting. See for yourself.

SquareTex Jun 10, 2008 (edited Jun 10, 2008)

... yikes ...
Wow.

Man, now I really wish I knew how this came about!
...especially with the names that are a bit messed up. wink

Thanks for letting me know about that, Warpstar! big_smile

...oh yeah, before I forget... aw, shucks! *blush* tongue

Daniel K Jun 10, 2008

Warpstar wrote:

Those titles were really used in the official tracklisting. See for yourself.

That's pretty neat. It seems like not all people in the Japanese VGM industry are oblivious to the existence of Western fans.

Congratulations, SquareTex. You've "officially" contributed to VGM history. smile

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB