Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages: 1

Idolores Sep 3, 2009

Alright, so I have the FFXII Limited Edition sitting on my desk right now, and it's existence is leading me to wonder if a regular edition was ever made. Anyone got any info?

Qui-Gon Joe Sep 3, 2009

Game or soundtrack?  Regardless, yes there's a regular version.  I have the regular edition of the soundtrack, which I'm guessing is now rarer than the limited one (based on how much I saw both in Japan... I never saw the regular one outside of the time I bought it).

Idolores Sep 3, 2009

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

Game or soundtrack?  Regardless, yes there's a regular version.  I have the regular edition of the soundtrack, which I'm guessing is now rarer than the limited one (based on how much I saw both in Japan... I never saw the regular one outside of the time I bought it).

Right, sorry. I meant soundtrack. How ironic, the Limited Edition is not very limited, it seems.

Cedille Sep 3, 2009

Don't know, but '初回限定仕様' means it was the edition for the first shipment. Given the fact how pretty much everything in Japan is so front-heavy, the limited edition being less rare isn't so ironic.

TerraEpon Sep 4, 2009

That's why it bothers me that people called it "limited edition"....instead of, say, "first printing".

Razakin Sep 4, 2009

TerraEpon wrote:

That's why it bothers me that people called it "limited edition"....instead of, say, "first printing".

Well, the soundtrack calls itself as Limited Edition, as the box cover clearly says.

Zane Sep 4, 2009

Razakin wrote:
TerraEpon wrote:

That's why it bothers me that people called it "limited edition"....instead of, say, "first printing".

Well, the soundtrack calls itself as Limited Edition, as the box cover clearly says.

Right. Definitely the LE, not just a "first printing". And what a fancy LE it is. wink

Otaku has the regular OST for sale, but going by the page on Daryl's Library, the LE has more content... even the discs are better (pics as opposed to bland, solid colors). It's way interesting how the regular OST is really the "LE". Maybe SquareEnix made a small batch after the initial LE pressings and nobody (except for Joe) bought them so they never made any more. tongue

Amazingu Sep 4, 2009

Didn't the exact same thing happen to FFIX?
The first "limited" print is common as muck, but I hardly ever see the reprint.

Cedille Sep 4, 2009

Anyway, I think now is the time to dredge up this IGN bullshit.

Last but not least, this limited edition CD set features two bonus tracks (both heard in previews for Final Fantasy XII), as well as a nifty box and game booklet. They're a nice consolation prizes, but the additional songs are pretty short, and unless you're a die-hard collector, the box and book only serve to jack up the price of the album (close to a whopping $50).

Zane Sep 4, 2009

Amazingu wrote:

Didn't the exact same thing happen to FFIX?
The first "limited" print is common as muck, but I hardly ever see the reprint.

Yes, but I don't think the regular IX OST is as uncommon as the XII OST.

Cedille wrote:

Anyway, I think now is the time to dredge up this IGN bullshit.

Last but not least, this limited edition CD set features two bonus tracks (both heard in previews for Final Fantasy XII), as well as a nifty box and game booklet. They're a nice consolation prizes, but the additional songs are pretty short, and unless you're a die-hard collector, the box and book only serve to jack up the price of the album (close to a whopping $50).

Oh dear.

Eirikr Sep 4, 2009

Cedille wrote:

Anyway, I think now is the time to dredge up this IGN bullshit.

Last but not least, this limited edition CD set features two bonus tracks (both heard in previews for Final Fantasy XII), as well as a nifty box and game booklet. They're a nice consolation prizes, but the additional songs are pretty short, and unless you're a die-hard collector, the box and book only serve to jack up the price of the album (close to a whopping $50).

Uh, what's the problem? It's typical IGN "this has some problems and could have been better...so we give it a  9.0!"

Zane Sep 4, 2009

Eirikr wrote:
Cedille wrote:

Anyway, I think now is the time to dredge up this IGN bullshit.

Last but not least, this limited edition CD set features two bonus tracks (both heard in previews for Final Fantasy XII), as well as a nifty box and game booklet. They're a nice consolation prizes, but the additional songs are pretty short, and unless you're a die-hard collector, the box and book only serve to jack up the price of the album (close to a whopping $50).

Uh, what's the problem? It's typical IGN "this has some problems and could have been better...so we give it a  9.0!"

Hahahaha! The problem I see is that the LE doesn't have any bonus tracks - both versions have the same 100 tracks.

It's also pretty funny how VGMdb doesn't have the regular FFXII in their database. Kind of ridiculous.

Eirikr Sep 4, 2009

Zane wrote:

doesn't have any bonus tracks - both versions have the same 100 tracks.

Still not seeing what's up besides the usual IGNorance, such as the gouged price point. This review was written 3 years ago when the OST came out, so the nomenclature of "bonus tracks" just seems to apply to 'extra tracks not featured in the game'. It's not saying anywhere in the review to save money for a regular edition, so...

I mean, the most offensive part of the review for me is that it gives a positive review of Kiss Me Goodbye and that I concede is some real bullshit. smile

Ramza Sep 4, 2009

Zane wrote:

It's also pretty funny how VGMdb doesn't have the regular FFXII in their database. Kind of ridiculous.

A bit of a challenge when they're the same catalog number...

They just need to add the packaging scans for the Regular Edition I guess.

Seriously though...there are quite a few "regular editions" that are now more rare than LEs.

Zane Sep 4, 2009

Ramza wrote:
Zane wrote:

It's also pretty funny how VGMdb doesn't have the regular FFXII in their database. Kind of ridiculous.

A bit of a challenge when they're the same catalog number...

They just need to add the packaging scans for the Regular Edition I guess.

Seriously though...there are quite a few "regular editions" that are now more rare than LEs.

Nah, not really. FFX's regular edition and LE have the same catalog number too.

Related Albums

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB