Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

    Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

Mercenary09 Feb 5, 2007

Razakin wrote:
Ramza wrote:

yeah jayme, it is without a doubt a typo. Don't believe it just cuz CD Japan posted it.

Sheesh.

Yup, not the first time that CD Japan has made some slight errors, I still remember the times when they we're selling Final Fantasy Vocal Correction album. tongue

Oh man, while I was reading this because I was curious as to what others thought of this box set, the 'Correction' album got me laughing. Ah.. that's pretty funny.

Ramza Mar 5, 2007

I think it's a fine deal. Don't forget that along with all that is the sheet music to FFXI Piano. Sold separately, it would've been a 2000 yen deal.

I think the price is good on FFXI. The KH box, on the other hand...is some expensive shi-ot.

Ramza

Zane Mar 5, 2007

I'm satisfied with how the box looks. It only cost me about $85 from CDJ, so that's not bad for seven CDs and sheet music. Most single CD albums cost in the neighborhood of $20 new anyway (in a standard jewel case), so I think the package is quite nice for the price.

But, yeah. 15000JPY for the Kingdom Hearts box? That price better include some Shimomura DNA or something.

Qui-Gon Joe Mar 5, 2007

Ramza wrote:

I think it's a fine deal. Don't forget that along with all that is the sheet music to FFXI Piano. Sold separately, it would've been a 2000 yen deal.

I would LOVE to pay even 3000 to get the piano CD instead of 11000 to re-buy a bunch of CDs I already have to get it.  >:(

Ramza Mar 5, 2007

yeah, I was refering to the book. CD and book would cost you 5000 yen minimum, and the unreleased disc would probably be another 2000 yen. At that point, you MAY AS WELL buy the box. tongue

Ramza

TerraEpon Mar 5, 2007

If I cared about all the music for FFXI, I'd probably say "well I like it because it saves space, even though I have most of it" -- but eh, the expansion discs never did much for me. I DO hope the piano CD is available seperate sometime though....


-Joshua

XLord007 Mar 11, 2007

TerraEpon wrote:

I DO hope the piano CD is available seperate sometime though....
-Joshua

Seriously.  I like the way the set looks, but I don't want to spend $100 just to get two the two new discs.

Cedille Mar 29, 2007 (edited Mar 29, 2007)

As expected, my initial impression of this box is not so high. Physically, the box set is just space-occupying and it doesn't include any liner notes. Musically, The unreleased collection pretty much consists of dull and boring pieces, with some exceptions. On the other hand, PC is far better than anticipated, since I thought it would be dreadful and even worse than Star Onions. "Battle Theme #2" is surprisingly improved by the dynamics. "The Federation of Windurst" that was one of the best town theme is still enjoyable. I'm not sure if I can say much for the rest ATM, though.

I can't recommend this even for FFXI music fans. Still, if you don't have any of previous albums, it may not be such a bad buy.

James O Mar 31, 2007

I got my box in yesterday along with KH box... I really think it's good.  Great artwork, and the piano book too.  I'm a sucker for these sorts of things.  heh

Zane Apr 2, 2007 (edited Apr 2, 2007)

I got my Premium Box today. The packaging is great (who needs liners when all the info is printed on the inside of each CD's book... in English), there's a ton of music, and the chicks playing the piano in the picture on the inside of the Piano Collection are hot. Good enough for me. Time to actually listen to the tunes, though...

Edit: Cedille, is the glass half empty? Or half full?

GoldfishX Apr 2, 2007 (edited Apr 2, 2007)

Zane wrote:

Time to actually listen to the tunes, though...

The whole box actually sounds really great until you get to that part and I realize just how much Mizuta is on the CD's...

I think these boxes are more of a testing ground to see how they sell before Square starts releasing them for their other franchises. Somehow, I don't think GBA FF's, Kingdom Hearts and FFXI boxes will attract the same attention Chrono, Mana or the other FF boxes would...

XISMZERO Apr 3, 2007

Cedille wrote:

PC is far better than anticipated, since I thought it would be dreadful and even worse than Star Onions...

Watch your mouth. Star Onions was a fun little album (albeit leaving wanting more). At least it explored something beyond Square's usual sounds. If you must call something dreadful, at least unleash the fury on those flat Piano albums which are at this point a supplemental given to each FF game. Geesh.

Qui-Gon Joe Apr 3, 2007

GoldfishX wrote:

The whole box actually sounds really great until you get to that part and I realize just how much Mizuta is on the CD's...

You know, I know FFXI should probably be considered Mizuta's now that he's done all three expansions, but I am REALLY disappointed that the piano collection is entirely lacking in Tanioka and that the only Uematsu tracks are Mizuta arrangements of his themes.  sad

Zane Apr 3, 2007

GoldfishX wrote:
Zane wrote:

Time to actually listen to the tunes, though...

The whole box actually sounds really great until you get to that part and I realize just how much Mizuta is on the CD's...

This may not make a lot of sense to people, but I really enjoy Mizuta. He's not mindblowing by any means, but there's just something really enjoyable about putting on tunes like "Kazham" or "Sarutabaruta" and relaxing. I also enjoyed his PE II OST, and it seems like hardly anyone else did.

I dug into the box for a while last night, and although I haven't heard much of the unreleased or any of the piano tracks yet, I do think that what's there is good enough for me. I will say that from what I heard of the unreleased stuff, "One Last Time" should have been released on one of the expansion OSTs. The melody really sticks with you.

Cedille Apr 3, 2007

Zane wrote:

Edit: Cedille, is the glass half empty? Or half full?

I'd call myself a pessimist.

XISMZERO wrote:

Watch your mouth. Star Onions was a fun little album (albeit leaving wanting more). At least it explored something beyond Square's usual sounds. If you must call something dreadful, at least unleash the fury on those flat Piano albums which are at this point a supplemental given to each FF game. Geesh.

I personally prefer a bland album arranged in a predictable way to an awful album arranged in a unique way. Furthermore, IMO, Star Onions was far more disappointing, considering it ruined the tracks that had been quite listenable on the original soundtracks. As for FFXI PC, on the other hand, I didn't look forward to it in the least as soon as the tracklist was revealed.

After all, I might be too harsh, but although I do like the original and Rise of the Zilart discs quite a bit, I'm not sure if I can recommend this box.

Zane Apr 3, 2007

Cedille wrote:

I personally prefer a bland album arranged in a predictable way to an awful album arranged in a unique way.

Star Onions has more character and life than almost all of the other FF arrange albums put together.

I'm not sure what Piano Collections CD was included with your Premium Box, but the one I got is pretty boring and straightforward. If it's far better than you anticipated, what were you expecting? A kick in the shins?

Cedille Apr 3, 2007

Zane wrote:

If it's far better than you anticipated, what were you expecting? A kick in the shins?

The worst arrange album ever. tongue

My PC copy is pretty much bland too, yet I find a few tracks to be bearable (Windurst, Battle#2, Tu'Lia) and Promyvion doesn't sound as bad as it was on the original soundtrack. As for Star Onions, I'd rather prefer thier faithful arrangements that they performed at the special event in 2004, despite thier miserable performance.

Zane Apr 3, 2007

Cedille wrote:

As for Star Onions, I'd rather prefer thier faithful arrangements that they performed at the special event in 2004, despite thier miserable performance.

Is that where the live "Gustaburg" came from at the end of the FFXI COP CD? I listened to that last night and it just seemed... off. Like they were rehearsing or something instead of performing.

    Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

Related Albums

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB