Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Angela Aug 17, 2011

So, Udon's Mega Man Tribute.  Weighing in at just under 300 pages, the big emphasis is on the core series, but there's a healthy share of everything: X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Star Force.  It's a worthy accompaniment to the Official Complete Works line of books.

Check out some samples here.  This Air Man, Fire Man, and Sheep Man are my personal faves.

SonicPanda Aug 18, 2011

Angela wrote:

So, Udon's Mega Man Tribute.

Mine came in the mail a few weeks ago, but at the time I wasn't in much of a celebratory mood.

Really, my only complaints are a few too many Marvel-Comics style super-muscled interpretations and a few too many takes on the turn-the-defeated-into-decorations joke. Aside from that, it's sumptuous. I'm a sucker for the giant mob shots the franchise lends itself to, and there's plenty of good shots with vibrant color and a sense of fun. Specific ones I want to call out would be pages 62 (probably my favorite gag), 104, 107, 163, 166, 209, 255, 279, 281, and 297...holy moly, 297.

It's a little bittersweet to see Aero in the Legends section (I guess she's the Elsa Walker of the MM line now), and to read in the back that they got more submissions for this than any previous tribute. It doesn't seem to count for much right now, anyway. Still, against my better judgement, I hold out hope that Capcom will give its first (ahem) Mega-star the treatment he deserves when his 25th hits next year.

Angela Aug 18, 2011

SonicPanda wrote:

Specific ones I want to call out would be pages 62 (probably my favorite gag), 104, 107, 163, 166, 209, 255, 279, 281, and 297...holy moly, 297.

Yeah, 297 is spectacular.  I'd kill to have a billboard-sized poster of that one hanging in my place. wink

Ashley Winchester Nov 1, 2011

I haven't checked out the Mega Man Tribute, hell, I didn't even know it was out, but I got another e-mail about the delay of the Mega Man: Robot Master Field Guide. I have to say I'm a little worried about this even coming out now that Mega Man is pretty much retired; the last delay I was hit with was six months.

Ashley Winchester Dec 29, 2011

I added The Essence of SaGa Frontier to my art book collection recently. I've never been a real big fan of watercolors but SaGa's art makes me change my mind.

But yeah... I know most people probably more interested in SaGa Frontier II than the first game but I love that ratty little game for some reason.

vert1 Jan 5, 2012

Wow. I thought I posted already in this thread. Anyhow, I have two artbooks: Wartech Senko No Rondo Sp And Rev X Official Data Book and The Art of Yasushi Suzuki. The former has some of the most impressive character artwork I've seen in a videogame. The latter has Ikaruga artwork which made it a mandatory buy.

The next book I want to acquire is the WarTech / Senko No Ronde Ballistic MESSIAH. However, it has a lot of repeats from the book I already own and that is kindof a downer.

James O Jan 5, 2012

In impulse buys I got an e-mail for The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy by Yoshitaka Amano on Amazon.ca.  I clicked buy pretty much right away.  After 5 min I was... what was the price?  $107???  oh well.  there goes my Christmas money.  haha

Ashley Winchester Feb 12, 2012

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I haven't checked out the Mega Man Tribute, hell, I didn't even know it was out, but I got another e-mail about the delay of the Mega Man: Robot Master Field Guide. I have to say I'm a little worried about this even coming out now that Mega Man is pretty much retired; the last delay I was hit with was six months.

Surprise, surprise this has been delayed again.

Ashley Winchester Apr 27, 2012

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Surprise, surprise this has been delayed again.

Okay, so this FINALLY came out... yay!

James O Apr 27, 2012

James O wrote:

In impulse buys I got an e-mail for The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy by Yoshitaka Amano on Amazon.ca.  I clicked buy pretty much right away.  After 5 min I was... what was the price?  $107???  oh well.  there goes my Christmas money.  haha

so I guess this got pushed back indefinitely so I read.  I guess the original printing is like super expensive to get these days so unless this pops up again at the lower price ya I probably won't be getting this after all.

Leon Jun 6, 2012

I recently purchased UDON's fantastic Valkyria Chronicles (1) art-book at a local anime con, and it's more than worth my $50. Great binding, wondrous textures and smells all-around, and all of the usual from UDON—a lot of developer commentary, and a whole bunch of interesting pre-production and productions artwork.

Ashley Winchester Apr 22, 2014

I finally picked up the Breath of Fire I-V: Official Complete Works and while it's nice and all I can't help but feel a little disappointed with this one... I mean I was really floored with the two versions of the Mega Man works we got... but maybe I feel like I'm missing out since I can't read the various notes with this one.

Angela Apr 24, 2014 (edited Apr 24, 2014)

Udon's just released Ys: The Art Book, a 280 pager showcasing Falcom's banner series.  It's a beautiful collection, even if it does skew a bit heavy on "Oath of Felghana," whilst completely ignoring the original Ys IV titles. (Though Memories of Celceta gets plenty of face time.)

Here's a video sampling of the book.

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB