Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

this guy has some great VGM guitar versions on youtube

i especially love the secret of mana ones,, and chrono trigger memories of green...

Makes me really wish i had the time to pick up my guitar again.. hard to believe its been almost 6 years sad

http://www.youtube.com/CalebElijah#p/u

Last edited by longhairmike (Feb 2, 2010)

Re: this guy has some great VGM guitar versions on youtube

His leads definitely have a clean, precise sound.  Also love how he switches from acoustic, to electric, to even wind instruments.

Haven't listened to everything, but his renditions of Mega Man 2's Dr. Wily's Castle, FFVI's Shadow's Theme and Strago's Theme, FFIX's Terra, and Zelda's Gerudo Valley are particularly pleasing. 

Plus, anyone who gives due respect to Seiken Densetsu 3's Innocent Sea is all right by my book. wink

Angela wrote:

Plus, anyone who gives due respect to Seiken Densetsu 3's Innocent Sea is all right by my book. wink

For me make that anything from Terranigma. He does a great job with 'Port', my favorite track. Definitely props to this guy.

its amazing how he's able to mix the multiple tracks and sync them with multiple videos,,
He also nails every little hook inbetween measures.. I'm guessing he used a midi program like cakewalk to open up the tracks to make sure he didnt miss a single note.

when i did my few VGM tracks i figured them out by ear, so i never finished many of them except for my FF6 Serpent Trench theme
http://www.rpgamer.com/music/2003/music070503.html

The only effect i have is the little built-in delay on my amp. i feel so technologically behind... 
now im depressed.. i literally have to say "i haven't played guitar since my 20s".

There's also this guy . . .

Some excellent renditions of Megaman X tunes. I keep hoping this guy does a doujin album.

The guy you linked isn't bad either, longhairmike. I'm loving his rendition of FFIX's "Terra". It sounds just as haunting and distant as the original, capturing the desolate, mysterious feeling the song invokes.

Last edited by Idolores (Feb 3, 2010)

arghh,, how come my guitar tone never sounds metal? it was a 1500$ ESP custom back in '96,, they don't even make them anymore except for the signature models (they only make the cheap LTD versions). maybe i just need a better amp... and a harmonizer

longhairmike wrote:

arghh,, how come my guitar tone never sounds metal? it was a 1500$ ESP custom back in '96,, they don't even make them anymore except for the signature models (they only make the cheap LTD versions). maybe i just need a better amp... and a harmonizer

Most of your sound comes from the amp. Cheaper fix would just be to find a decent sounding stomp box - Boss Metal Zone was always good for a 90s Megadeth sort of sound.

my (2000-present) amp is a Laney, which is a UK import. In the mid-90s i had an all tube Carvin half-stack, but i think i didnt get the sound i wanted then because i didnt dare turn it past volume 1 or risk blowing the walls out of the house.

longhairmike wrote:

my (2000-present) amp is a Laney, which is a UK import. In the mid-90s i had an all tube Carvin half-stack, but i think i didnt get the sound i wanted then because i didnt dare turn it past volume 1 or risk blowing the walls out of the house.

I also used to rock the Carvin half stack. Besides being dangerous to turn up, mine was also the "vintage tube" model, which was not nearly metal enough at any volume. These days I've gone digital with a Roland VG amp combo, which isn't a perfect solution but it's a lot of fun to screw around with.