Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: Donkey Kong Country Returns

I'm at the beginning of World 3 and aside from the secret levels, I haven't found the game too difficult. I'm sure it'll pick up in difficulty before too long. I'm just not really feeling the urge to play it. Maybe I've just outgrown platformers... or maybe it's missing the spark that DKC and DKC2 had. Not sure.

Hmm, the Rocket Barrel's controls are perfectly actually fine to me, had no problems adapting to that unlike the rest (should have mentioned that while posting the link). But yeah, the heavy feeling of the controls is keeping me from spontaneously playing the game as well. Multiplayer is different since I then can play as Diddy who controls better (showing that Retro just went overboard with making the characters' physics affect the controls that strongly while making it impossible to not play as Donkey in singleplayer).

World 4 can bite me.

Wanderer wrote:

World 4 can bite me.

Yes, that is one of the biggest offenders, definitely.
Some of the later Worlds are significantly easier actually.

I just wrapped up the main game yesterday.
There's some stuff you unlock, especially if you managed to clear all of the hidden temples (talk about HARD), but I haven't looked at it yet.

I sincerely doubt I will go back to get all the puzzle pieces, because this game is WAY too frustrating for my taste.

It irritates me how practically every level involves one of those damned mine carts. I hate those things! And the ROCKET BARRELS? ARGH!

Wanderer wrote:

It irritates me how practically every level involves one of those damned mine carts. I hate those things! And the ROCKET BARRELS? ARGH!

And you gotta love how the check points almost always seem to be RIGHT after the area you've lost a dozen lives at.  wink

So about how many hours did it take to complete the game?

This thread has encouraged me to spend the $8 on the VC version of DKC. 1h 30m and 50% later (and after watching a bunch of Youtube videos of DKC Returns), I do not regret that decision at all.

I wasn't bothered with the number of mine cart and rocket pack levels at all.
There's not THAT many.

The temple levels tend to be WAY harder, if you ask me.

I've done two temple levels so far and I found World 1 to be infinitely harder than World 2. We'll see how the rest fare. neutral

On to World 5! That mole train really pissed me off. tongue

A lot of people complain about how the villains in this game are just Tiki Masks.

I personally don't mind; I never thought K.Rool had that much personality, anyway, and giving him a makeover according to each subsequent game's theme didn't really do anything, either. Also: Bowser imitation. Why must we always villify lizards?

My guess is that Rare owned the rights to the K.Rool character, and since (1) Rare severed their relationship with Nintendo and (2) Rare got bought by Microsoft, so Nintendo had to create a new villain, right?

Last edited by Dartannian (May 3, 2012)

Dartannian wrote:

My guess is that Rare owned the rights to the K.Rool character, and since (1) Rare severed their relationship with Nintendo and (2) Rare got bought by Microsoft, so Nintendo had to create a new villain, right?

I don't think Nintendo has officially commented on that, but it seems like a very reasonable explanation to me.

XLord007 wrote:
Dartannian wrote:

I don't think Nintendo has officially commented on that, but it seems like a very reasonable explanation to me.

Along with that theory are the characters from Killer Instinct. Rare has expressed interest in bringing the KI games to the various downloadable services and even doing another game despite no concerte plans; I don't know if they'd be so forward with those thoughts if they had to go through Nintendo to do it. That also might explain why we haven't seen a KI character in a Smash Brothers game as well.

But really, I can't name one game (outside Perfect Dark Zero) that Rare's done since they became a Microsoft property - probably because I'm not too interested in what Mircosoft's up to despite them having a much better game library this generation than last.

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (May 5, 2012)

Ashley Winchester wrote:

But really, I can't name one game (outside Perfect Dark Zero) that Rare's done since they became a Microsoft property - probably because I'm not too interested in what Mircosoft's up to despite them having a much better game library this generation than last.

Nintendo definitely made a good decision when it sold Rare. IMO, the last good all-new game Rare made was Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64, 2001). Since then, they've done Star Fox Adventures, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, the two Kinect Sports games, a whole mess of mediocre portable games, and a few XB and XBLA ports of older titles. Rare was already showing signs of decline before the sale to MSFT, so it's hard to say how much MSFT contributed to that, but losing Martin Hollis, David Doak, and the Free Radical team at the and of the last century couldn't have helped. Once the Stamper brothers left in the middle of the last decade, Rare was effectively a different company.

I REALLY love Kameo and think it's a very underrated game.  I will also begrudgingly admit that Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is a very well game (despite its not being at all what I wanted from a third Banjo title).  That was probably the last real Rare game that will ever see the light of day, though.  I really don't understand why any company would buy a developer with a rich library of intellectual property just to use the manpower and none of the ideas.  Sort of like what Konami has now done to Hudson...

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

I really don't understand why any company would buy a developer with a rich library of intellectual property just to use the manpower and none of the ideas.

Wow, that's actually a really good point.

So I picked up the 3DS port of Returns, and thanks to the waggle-free controls, I admit I'm having a far more enjoyable time with the game than I ever did with the Wii version. The drop to 30 fps from the original's 60 is a small trade off for a more exacting control scheme.  Plus, the 3D effects are kind of amazing.

Partaking in finding the collectibles -- I mean truly finding them all -- really makes me appreciate the game's intricate level designs.  It's gotten me genuinely enthused as to what Retro will bring to the table for the upcoming Tropical Freeze.

Actually, I have this on my shelf waiting to be played... I haven't even opened it yet. Still, yeah, that was pretty much the selling point to me was the no waggle thing. I should probably - definitely - give this a try because while the Metroid Prime series wasn't perfect I really do like some of the work Retro Studios has done.