Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Final Fantasy XIII

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/

Someone get on ripping that piece of music post-haste!!

... *ahem* It's a little bare, but still nice to see some sort of progress.


*edit* if you let the music loop for awhile, a new piece starts!!

Last edited by allyourbaseare (Jan 9, 2009)

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Someone at SEMO has ripped them. As I'm at work, I'm not sure as to the quality, but if someone can do a better job (assuming these are bad quality), feel free to do so.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/urh4z3

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Honestly I've worried the traditional consistency I've personally found in the numbered FF soundtracks (from IV to even XI and XII) would expire due to Hamauzu, but what little I've heard is, if not amazing, generally of higher quality than any of his post-FFX works. I also personally think of SFII as his best work (FFX was equally good, but 2/3 wasn't his) and really don’t get into his recent lifeless new-age efforts, but I hope he'll set another high standard with his hugest project to date.

As for the game itself, I wish it would eventually get an Xbox360 release in my country.

Last edited by Cedille (Jan 9, 2009)

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I loved both clips. Even if the game sucks, we're in for quite a treat with the music. I wonder if the entire score will use live instruments?

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

It was a beautiful experience to enter that site. Fantastic music and beautiful images. I wish the real world was as beautiful as Final Fantasy. The look of those two girls makes me come back for more.

Great piece of art all-together that site! Two thumbs up!

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

In the start it sounds like Hamauzu emulating Uematsu, then later it starts sounding more like usual Hamauzu. Not terribly exciting yet, but I trust it should be a good soundtrack, if Hamauzu doesn't go all FFXII on us, and I think he's better prepared for the job than Sakimoto was. After all, he has stuff like Dirge of Cerberus and Unlimited Saga under his belt already. I don't think he'll be able to make up for missing Junya Nakano from FFX though.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Cedille wrote:

Honestly I've worried the traditional consistency I've personally found in the numbered FF soundtracks (from IV to even XI and XII) would expire due to Hamauzu, but what little I've heard is, if not amazing, generally of higher quality than any of his post-FFX works. I also personally think of SFII as his best work (FFX was equally good, but 2/3 wasn't his) and really don’t get into his recent lifeless new-age efforts, but I hope he'll set another high standard with his hugest project to date.

As for the game itself, I wish it would eventually get an Xbox360 release in my country.

Wow, this is the first musical opinions of yours that I completely disagree on. (Of course, I'm sure the same thing isn't mutual.) I think generally Hamauzu has evolved and matured with time even if Sigma Harmonics was only really a spinoff project for him. I have high expectations for this score and the great samples don't disappoint!

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Grassie wrote:

I wish the real world was as beautiful as Final Fantasy. The look of those two girls makes me come back for more.

The rendering of Vanille's hair is stunning, especially the curls in the pig-tails.  Women would kill to have such well-maintained hair.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Looks like we've got a North America and Europe release date, for both 360 and PS3 versions: March 9, 2010.  Also, check out the new developers interview:

http://kotaku.com/5403678/final-fantasy … ca-march-9

This is the first I'd heard that Leona Lewis will be doing the opening/main theme single.  What do you guys think of "My Hands"?

Last edited by Angela (Nov 13, 2009)

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Angela wrote:

This is the first I'd heard that Leona Lewis will be doing the opening/main theme single.  What do you guys think of "My Hands"?

im guessing the characters in the new game will all have their pants hanging half down their butt...

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Angela wrote:

Looks like we've got a North America and Europe release date, for both 360 and PS3 versions: March 9, 2010.  Also, check out the new developers interview:

http://kotaku.com/5403678/final-fantasy … ca-march-9

This is the first I'd heard that Leona Lewis will be doing the opening/main theme single.  What do you guys think of "My Hands"?

I haven't heard Lewis' song yet. I just find it very odd they are replacing the Japanese vocal theme with it. From what I've gathered on various comments on the internet, Lewis' music doesn't fit, whereas the Japanese vocal theme, at least "fits a bit more" (mileage may vary)

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

With XIII just around the corner, I'm finally getting around to watching Gametrailers' thirteen part Retrospective on the entire series:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/the-fi … ctive/4831

I just got through viewing the 8 and 16 bit eras.  They're informative, excellent watches; I especially got a kick at the sprite pixel breakdown and scripted character movement placement portion on the Final Fantasy VI feature.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

^Gotta second the love for GT's retrospectives as they are really surprisingly well made. Really enjoyed the FF, RE and Zelda ones in particular. Seriously, go check 'em out if you haven't already (:

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Angela wrote:

With XIII just around the corner, I'm finally getting around to watching Gametrailers' thirteen part Retrospective on the entire series:

Excellent!  I needed something to keep me busy this afternoon.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Oooh, retrospectives? And my evening is COVERED! big_smile

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

With the game's North America and Europe release this week, I figured the thread deserved to be bumped to the forefront.  For those with the privilege of getting to choose between the PS3 and 360 version, reading up on Eurogamer's ever-informative "Face-Off" write-up will probably make the decision a lot easier.  Says EG:

"The rumours are true. Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 isn't anywhere near as impressive as it is on PlayStation 3. The real kicker is that it's a lot worse than it should have been.  Built from the ground upwards with an eye towards the storage limitation of the disc, and with the different architectures of the two HD consoles firmly in mind, Square Enix would have stood a good chance of getting the game looking pretty much like-for-like on both platforms. However, by just about every measurable criteria, it seems that the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII is a quick port where the existing PS3 material has been very roughly manhandled and bludgeoned into shape in order to work on the Microsoft console."

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I've never gone to a midnight release for a game or console before.

That changes today. I'm picking up FFXIII tonight. Pretty psyched.

Ramza

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Same here they're actually doing a midnight launch at the GameStop in Edmonton Southgate Mall.  I don't know if I'll actually be able to stay up any lengthy amount of time to play it though, there's that dratted thing called work the next day. =p

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I have Amazon release-date delivery and should get it tomorrow. Looking forward to it! I've really been wearing out my copy of the OST...

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Put about 3 hours into it and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Everything is so slick.... the menus, character profiles, levelling-up, everything.  Loving it.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

allyourbaseare wrote:

Put about 3 hours into it and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Everything is so slick.... the menus, character profiles, levelling-up, everything.  Loving it.

That.  Except change 3 to 7 for me.  I saw you online (in addition to half my PSN friends list) playing it by the way. wink

I'm loving the battle system and I find it awesome how leveling up is essentially a tweaked version of FFX's grid.  And I thought I'd be the last to admit it, but I'm actually digging a lot of the music so far.  It's definitely not your typical Final Fantasy score and I would have preferred the FFX team back but I'm still pretty much enjoying Hamauzu's work here.  It really goes well with the in-game visuals, the environment, and overall look-and-feel of the game, but it's not such an easy listen outside of the game for me.. yet.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I'm about an hour and a half in. It's entertaining but starts out fairly slow. Graphics are terrific, music is wonderful... story and characters are the usual JRPG excess (and Vanille joins the ranks of Rinoa and Selphie as the most annoying FF female protagonists).

My biggest issue is with how the battles are a cakewalk. Agonizingly easy, no strategy required at all. I'm sure it'll get a lot more complicated in the future but the game is playing itself at this point. I don't mind too much because it's so pretty. wink

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

James O wrote:

Same here they're actually doing a midnight launch at the GameStop in Edmonton Southgate Mall.  I don't know if I'll actually be able to stay up any lengthy amount of time to play it though, there's that dratted thing called work the next day. =p

Whereabouts in Edmonton do you live? I visit Southgate mall everytime I visit my girlfriend down there.

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

I fired it up briefly tonight, just to see if it had an hard drive install...doesn't appear to..Didn't want to ruin the surprise.  What I did saw, I got chills...my tv looked like high rez art.

I have the day off tomorrow (Wednesday) and plan to have the stereo volume set liberally.. Can't wait to check it out

Last edited by brandonk (Mar 10, 2010)

Offline

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Idolores wrote:
James O wrote:

Same here they're actually doing a midnight launch at the GameStop in Edmonton Southgate Mall.  I don't know if I'll actually be able to stay up any lengthy amount of time to play it though, there's that dratted thing called work the next day. =p

Whereabouts in Edmonton do you live? I visit Southgate mall everytime I visit my girlfriend down there.

I live in the Kill Hoods (Mill Woods) area. 

I still haven't had a chance to put in the game yet... very disappointed in myself. sad  Fortunately there's nothing on TV I want to watch for the next few days so hopefully there'll be some time.  (I had to watch Lost yesterday, plus I had some other work I had to do... =p)

Offline