Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

I just beat FFVII for the second time in my life. Thanks PSN! Will probably do FFVIII soon.

But currently, playing Glory of Heracles on DS and *loving* it.

Bayonetta:

i already have platinum trophy for this masterpiece, but there is so much other stuff to unlock, it's insane. other companies would charge you for artificial DLC left and right, but not platinum games.

Street Fighter IV:

took a few month break, but now i'm back in action.

The Saboteur:

flawed open world game, but i simply couldn't pass on occupied paris in WW2. no regrets.

Ramza wrote:

What kind of battle system does the game have?  I've been afraid from some (not the most informative) videos I've seen that it might be a little too TRPG for me.  Is it pretty standard fare?  Also, how's the soundtrack?  It's been a while since I've heard of a new Yoshitaka Hirota score.

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

It's been a while since I've heard of a new Yoshitaka Hirota score.

Oh, god. What? I'd love to see if the man's branched out from Klonoa and Shadow Hearts. What kinda music is it?

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition

Currently at level 26. I'm loving Point Lookout!

Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5

I had planned on getting the LE version before I knew it would be region free. It's a nice little bonus to have the double arrange album and get to play the game. In an ironic twist, I like Ryu Takami's menu BGM more than anything on the album.

Impetuth

Finally decided to check out the game to the soundtrack. I thought it would have RPG elements... nope. It's as hardcore a shooter as I've played on the PC. Totally reminds me of Undead Line for the Mega Drive. Impetuth is actually forgiving, though.

Erst Kerf

Another doujin PC shooter. It does have RPG elements. Playing the demo reminded me of Guardian Legend. I wish the in-game graphics were nicer. They're hardly PS1 quality.

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:
Ramza wrote:

What kind of battle system does the game have?  I've been afraid from some (not the most informative) videos I've seen that it might be a little too TRPG for me.  Is it pretty standard fare?  Also, how's the soundtrack?  It's been a while since I've heard of a new Yoshitaka Hirota score.

TRPG = Tactical RPG? I wouldn't say that.

It's a turn-based RPG with a front row and a back row. In the back row you can only use bow/arrow and magic, but you also regain mp each turn. Front row = melee attacks (can also use bow/arrow and magic if you like), more susceptible to attacks from enemy, no mp regeneration.

You don't have to be in the same "column" as the enemy to attack them. The grid serves basically to accentuate front vs. back row, and allow only 5 characters on your party (and up to 10 on the enemy side).

I really really like the battle system. Early in the game you can get away with just "attack attack attack," but this strategy will lead to a game over screen after about 5 hours, so it's good to learn how to make best use of spells and abilities early on. They also did some programming and animation-type touch-ups to make the battles go FASTER in the US version than in the Japanese version. This is a *huge* plus for the game.

Spells and skills are learned by praying to statues (and then reaching the right minimum level). Oh, and spells and skills can also be attached to any piece of equipment. There are lots of skills/spells, and even passive traits, that are worth learning and experimenting with.

Also, it's a true-blue solid Nintendo localization. You can feel the top-notch quality by the good writing and lack of typos. smile

As for the soundtrack? (someone else asked...), it's not Hirota's best stuff, but there are some cool themes. The temple music and the boss battle music is my favorite so far. Oh, there's also an anime intro to the game which comes with a cool song: usage of choir is a big plus! (no soundtrack release thus far...)

Yeah... I'm going to go play more of this game now. I'm really diggin' it.

so anyways,, its a new toy that kids can play with in the car while on a trip.
and the best part is, if the parent gets pulled over for speeding, the toy automatically slaps the cop...

Zha Zha pets,, collect them all...

Glory of Heracles full music rip right here.  Composed by the main man Yoshitaka Hirota and ripped, converted, and encoded by yours truly.  If you're a fan of Hirota or just great traditional RPG music in general, download that bad boy.  55 tracks total, encoded using LAME 3.98.2 VBR V0, each track loops twice, no fade outs, and I kept the original file names/order from the raw game data since I have no idea what the proper names should be or what order they appear in in-game.  The audio quality itself is top notch for a DS game rip *pats self on the back* Enjoy smile

The game is pretty fun by the way!  I played for a good half hour yesterday just to see what it was like and it actually surprised me.  Nothing over the top, it's just a traditional RPG with a fun yet simple (so far) battle system and excellent music.  I might sit down and play this once I catch up on a few other games.  For those who have played it or are currently playing it, any idea how long it is?

You know, I just finished up working on something for Tomb Raider and now I've got the itch to play the thing. I think I'm going to give in and do so. Too bad that same feeling doesn't exist for any of the sequels, the further away you get from the original the less I care. The second one is decent enough however, even if the Harpoon Gun sucks.

the_miker wrote:

Glory of Heracles full music rip right here.  Composed by the main man Yoshitaka Hirota and ripped, converted, and encoded by yours truly.  If you're a fan of Hirota or just great traditional RPG music in general, download that bad boy.  55 tracks total, encoded using LAME 3.98.2 VBR V0, each track loops twice, no fade outs, and I kept the original file names/order from the raw game data since I have no idea what the proper names should be or what order they appear in in-game.  The audio quality itself is top notch for a DS game rip *pats self on the back* Enjoy smile?

You're a sexy beast. Thanks, dude!

SonicPanda wrote:

I've tried about two-and-a-half hours' worth of P3 FES - I'm a bit irritated at this point that I've done more high schoolery than dungeon-crawling (these guys get tired way too quickly). How long would I have to invest before the game becomes more about the latter?.

If you want the P3 experience, go for bust with the original, not FES. The original had this handy glitch where if you went to Tartarus on the night BEFORE the full moon, your dudes would never get tired. This way, you could spend the entire month building S-Links, raising your stats and doing whatever you want.

Only downside is that if you decide to do that, you gotta spend hours on that one training session to prepare for the boss.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

You know, I just finished up working on something for Tomb Raider and now I've got the itch to play the thing. I think I'm going to give in and do so. Too bad that same feeling doesn't exist for any of the sequels, the further away you get from the original the less I care. The second one is decent enough however, even if the Harpoon Gun sucks.

I seem to be one of the very few people who thought TR2 was much better than the first.
The environments were much larger, much better looking and much more varied, and every level was epic and memorable (except for the very last one).
Also, the ambient background noise for several levels was really really good.
I actually picked up the Japanese TR 1 and 2 for cheap recently at a local book off (250 yen a piece), even though I already have the PAL versions.

Saves having to pay 6 bucks a piece on PSN wink

Finally got around to getting Psychonauts ($2 on Steam!!). I played the PS2 demo long ago and always wanted to get it, but never found it in stores. Although I still would've liked a physical copy, I figured I couldn't pass up on such a great deal.

Amazingu wrote:

I seem to be one of the very few people who thought TR2 was much better than the first.
The environments were much larger, much better looking and much more varied, and every level was epic and memorable (except for the very last one).
Also, the ambient background noise for several levels was really really good.
I actually picked up the Japanese TR 1 and 2 for cheap recently at a local book off (250 yen a piece), even though I already have the PAL versions.

Saves having to pay 6 bucks a piece on PSN wink

I never played through the first PS Tomb Raider. My first experience was with TR2, which I loved. I tried playing TR1 afterwards, but desperately missed some of the improvements found in the second game, namely the save system.

I did, however, play through TR: Anniversary and enjoyed it immensely. I'd love to see TR2 remade with the new engine. Damn it, now I want to play through TR2 again.

Funny, the thing I don't like about TR2 is the environments. I want to raid Tombs, not an Italian mobster's hideout and an offshore oil dig. I didn't like the human nature of the enemies either - most of them with guns. Found it annoying getting sniped where ever you go. I liked batting natural enemies where things like gaining a height advantage worked to your benefit. The limited contact with other humans is part of what drove the first game forward to me. Ah, Pierre "Litterbug" Du Pont and "I've got this pain in my brain from ya, and it's telling me all sorts of funny things - like to shoot you to hell!" Larson.

As for the save point issue, if you want to save where ever you want in the first game, you could always play it on the PC (if you can get a computer to run it due to issues with DOS). Personally, the first game is so easy to me now that the use of save points is moot and is of very little consequence. If you want to talk about annoying continue points let’s talk about the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

Tomb Raider II didn't add much to the formula either: flares and a mid-air twist? A few new guns and the snowmobile.

Anniversary was good enough, but the best parts were those lifted and elaborated on from the original. Also, rubbing Cowboy out of existence pissed me off - it is personal!

Ashley Winchester wrote:

As for the save point issue, if you want to save where ever you want in the first game, you could always play it on the PC (if you can get a computer to run it due to issues with DOS). Personally, the first game is so easy to me now that the use of save points is moot and is of very little consequence.

Started playing this and made it through the Peru levels without dying or using a single medi pack. Having fifty of each kind by game's end is not uncommon. This would be far from the case if I was talking about Tomb Raider III... *shutters* actually, I don't want to talk about Tomb Raider III - nevermind.

i have never played a tomb raider game, but 5 years ago when we were living at the apartment, one day i noticed someone had tossed out a bunch of old ps1 games, and i grabbed the tomb raider 2 sitting on top. It didn't have a manual (I absolutely SUCK at dungeon crawlers), but if its the best in the series as you guys say, i might give it a try...

...when i come back from florida on monday... we have a 7:40 flight from chicago to orlando tomorrow morning for the IDEX convention. 78 and sunnny tommorrow sure beats tomorrow's partly cloudy and -1 here tomorrow morning

Carl wrote:
James O wrote:

What I really need is like a month's vacation from work so I can just sit down and game hahaha.

Jay wrote:

A month off to play games? I could do with that.

I actually did that once, around 1999, since a company I was working for at the time had to file Chapter 13 (Bankruptcy Re-Organization) and they eliminated over half the company

I seem to recall that story when it happened...wow, been here awhile!  Did everything work out for the better?

I finished Code Veronica tonight, wow, I can't believe I never played this game before, it was excellent.  Probably the hardest RE game I've played yet though, jeez, it's almost like they wanted you to read a walkthrough before playing certain areas.  Overall though.. excellent story (I laughed, I cried..) that fills in some plot holes for me, great soundtrack (need to buy), and all the zombies you can shake a magnum at.

Next up: NO MORE HEROES 2, woot!  I'm kinda bummed to hear that Takada possibly had nothing to do with the soundtrack though.  Oh well, at least they got Yamaoka and a bunch of chiptunes in there.

Finally picked up a PSP to catch up on the backlog of games I have so been rocking Dracula X Chronicles, the original Rondo didn't make such a great transition, but the 2.5 version is surprisingly fun.

Angela wrote:

Despite my nearing the end, I've decided to go back and start Valkyria Chronicles over again from the beginning.  There were several unfortunate casualties met because of my unsteady tactical hand, and some leveling up choices I wished I could take back or change around.

Good luck!  Definitely get those scouts and shocktroopers up to level 11 ASAP.  IIRC there was one map that I could clear in one turn that would net me around 10000 xp every time and wasn't too tough (send your scouts up and around the eastern side of the map; Alicia and Cherry should do just fine). 

Man, if Sega put in trophies, I'd be all over this game again in a heartbeat.

Pellasos wrote:

Bayonetta:

i already have platinum trophy for this masterpiece, but there is so much other stuff to unlock, it's insane. other companies would charge you for artificial DLC left and right, but not platinum games.

How easy was it to get the Platinum?  I only ask because my OCD kicks in and I like seeing that 100% mark next to my trophies.

you have to beat the game on normal, hard and infinite climax, complete the alfheim challenges and collect some stuff. it isn't hard once you get the hang of the battle engine and have some experience in these kind of action games. took me about 25 hours.

Pellasos wrote:

you have to beat the game on... infinite climax

whoa, whoa, whoa! You mean to tell me one of the difficulty levels is called "infinite climax"? I shouldn't be surprised by the sexual innuendo but I am.

yea, it is. the game is crazy and over the top on every level, it's just right way to name the hardest difficulty.

In honor of it being re-released on the PSP last week (which I totally forgot about), I put NMH2 on hold and am now replaying Shadow of Destiny.  I'm playing the PS2 version though.  When it comes down to playing a game on a tiny screen with headphones vs. playing on a huge screen w/ an upscaler and 3.0 "surround" sound, the latter always wins.  I do plan on buying the PSP version, even if I don't plan on ever actually playing it.  Gotta support Konami for putting out gems like this.. twice!  For those who don't know, the major difference between the original PS2 version and the new PSP one is the voice acting and script.  There are all new actors and Konami cleaned up the script a bit.  Plus the new voice director is everybody's favorite Silent Hill vocalist, Joe Romersa.

I breezed through six chapters tonight, I completely forgot how addictive this game can be.  I'm gonna go for a couple more endings this time around, the ones I didn't get back in the day.  If I'm feeling really brave, I might even go for the extra stuff (the "true" ending, extra chapter, etc).  Seriously though, one of the most fun stories to follow in a game, it's like H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine" meets murder mystery, but on steroids.

Norikazu Miura totally kicked ass with the soundtrack too, that guy is so underrated.

Recently started up Breath of Fire III; it's held up a lot better than I thought it would and the somewhat dry narrative isn't putting me off. Taking my time and having a blast despite the fact I dislike the Stallion Brothers part of the game.

Why is it I usually end up playing the game whose music I'm writing about at the time? I'm not even that wild about BoFIII's soundtrack - ok, "Do Your Best!" is all kinds of awesome. Kind of want to get BoFII on the SNES (yes, I know the GBA port has all kinds of perks like the screwed up spells and items actually working and x2 experience cutting down grinding) but there's something about playing games on their originating consoles.