Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

the_miker wrote:

The sun is shining in on six (count em!) game consoles hooked up to my HDTV. Is there anything more beautiful?

Nope!  I would have six as well, but I'm in the middle of moving.  They'll be back in their places in the new... err... place... in a couple weeks!  I typically keep Wii, 360, PS3 (BC), Saturn, Dreamcast, and Japanese Gamecube in there.  I keep meaning to type up thoughts on what I've been playing lately.  I should do that soon!

the_miker wrote:

The sun is shining in on six (count em!) game consoles hooked up to my HDTV. Is there anything more beautiful?

Gotta love that total mess of wires!
THAT's how you know you're visiting a Gamer's room!

I only have 4 consoles hooked up (PS2, PS3, Wii and 360), cause all the rest is still back home at my parents' place.

I'm going through God of War III on the PS3 and Tokimeki Memorial 4 on the PSP.  Waiting in the wings is Felghana for the PSP.

Hellnight on PS1.

Final Fantasy III (US) on my SNES, because that's the way video games were meant to be played.

In the past day or so I've played Streets of Rage 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Final Fight CD.  All on my new CDX.. because that's the way video games were meant to be played! wink

the_miker wrote:

All on my new CDX.. because that's the way video games were meant to be played! wink

Classic (and physical) consoles, FTW. Virtual Console can suck it! wink

Back to finishing Okami...

In many ways I totally agree with Zane & Friends, that virtual games/VC leave much to be desired.
On the other hand, you can play Super Mario RPG, Ogre Battle 64, etc. for around $10 each!
Furthermore, you don't have to worry about dead batteries (it does happen)! So, for those who just want to play the game, the Virtual Console is very nice. If I could, I would just purchase the physical games and play on a SNES etc. but it's not feasible at this point, so I am thankful for the VC option (not that I have time to play games now anyway... but I will at some point I hope smile

cheers,

I meant to go about diving into SSF4 or Monster Hunter tonight, but on a complete whim I wound up blowing them off to restart Portrait of Ruin, which is probably my favorite of the so-called Metrovanias.
It originally took my ages to get around to it, as Dawn of Sorrow was a terrible game that completely burnt me out on the series, but PoR fixed everything that had been bugging me up to that point.

Tired of the monotony of endless towers and dungeons? Fixed, go to Egypt.
Tired of the feeling of loneliness that goes with exploring these games? Fixed, have a partner at all times.
Tired of Kojima's art style and aloof protagonists? Fixed, have expressive characters and friendly banter.
Never want to see soul-grinding or sign-sealing ever again? Fixed, there's not a Cruz to be seen.

Apparently the game has a reputation in some circles as a dark horse, which I don't understand at all. I'm actually apprehensive about trying Ecclesia because what I've seen looks to me like most of PoR's lessons went unlearned.

SonicPanda wrote:

I meant to go about diving into SSF4 or Monster Hunter tonight, but on a complete whim I wound up blowing them off to restart Portrait of Ruin, which is probably my favorite of the so-called Metrovanias.

FINALLY!
I was really starting to think I was the only one on the entire planet who liked PoR more than all the other (portable) Metroidvanias.

Of course, it doesn't beat SotN, but out of the portables, it's definitely my favorite.
And noone, besides you my dear dear Panda, ever seems to agree with me.

Amazingu wrote:
SonicPanda wrote:

FINALLY!
I was really starting to think I was the only one on the entire planet who liked PoR more than all the other (portable) Metroidvanias.

We'll see. I missed out entirely on Castlevania when I was growing up. It wasn't until the AVGN's retrospective on the series that I actually went and played the first three on the NES. As soon as I beat the rest of the series, I'll be checking out the portable ones.

Currently replaying Dragon Quest V DS. Maybe I'll buy DQ IX or DQ VI. But I doubt it. My spiders are keeping me busy as it is.

Idolores wrote:
Amazingu wrote:
SonicPanda wrote:

FINALLY!

We'll see. I missed out entirely on Castlevania when I was growing up. It wasn't until the AVGN's retrospective on the series that I actually went and played the first three on the NES. As soon as I beat the rest of the series, I'll be checking out the portable ones.

Really? I absolutely hated the final battle in Portait. Not really the battle itself, but the circumstances and storyline around it.

I missed out on Castlevania early on as well, had a NES for only about six months before getting a SNES but I was able to play a somewhat simular series (Ninja Gaiden) in that time frame. I did go back and play the older titles but I think Super Castlevania IV is the best one. It feels rather refined while still holding onto it's simplicity.

the_miker wrote:

I figure this tweet/picture apply to this thread since it has a lot to do with what I'm playing nowadays.. or at least what I have the option to play. wink

http://twitter.com/the_miker/status/13751196425

http://twitpic.com/1ms92w

I don't have a picture, but I've currently got nine hooked up to my HDTV: SNES, N64, PSone, DC, NGC w/GBP, PS2 Slim, Wii, PS3, and PSP.  The only ones that aren't hooked up currently are the NES top loader, Genesis 2, and Xbox.  To be honest, everything older than the GameCube looks like crap on the HDTV, but it's convenient to have them all ready to go in case I feel nostalgic.

Last edited by XLord007 (May 12, 2010)

XLord007 wrote:

To be honest, everything older than the GameCube looks like crap on the HDTV

For the Genesis, SNES, N64, and PS1.. invest in some SCART cables, a SCART->Component converter, and an HD Box Pro and you'll never say that again.  For the Dreamcast all you'd need is a VGA Box if your TV has a VGA port, if not, just run from the VGA Box into the HD Box Pro (that's what I do).  For the PS2, just use its native component cables (which you can also run through the HD Box Pro to put a stop to input lag) and you'll be fine.

Last edited by the_miker (May 13, 2010)

So I just popped Mass Effect 2 in. God help me, the one huge thing that pisses me off about the 360 is the disgusting amount of programmers that put all the text in ridiculously tiny, blurry fonts in their games, and this one is no exception. This is the epitome of "can't see shit, Cap'n". I know it's not my TV, because everything else is crisp and clean.

Some quick hits -

Finally got my PS3 back, and officially inaugurated my Super Street Fighter IV game. The bad news is, I seem to be worse at it than I remembered. I'm especially bad at the timing required to link moves into actual combos. That said, I should prove pathetically easy pickings for anyone who wishes to try me (if you can get through that is - Angela was kind enough to send me my first-ever game invite, and I had no notification in-game; it wasn't until I checked my friends and messages after a round of Trial Mode that I even found her message. As I wrote back, Angela, I'm very sorry about that). I got an arcade stick I might try to see if it'll improve my chances, but seeing as I've never used one in my life before, that's a very big if.

Rocket Knight was good. It's not quite in the same class as the original RKA, but really, it's not trying to be the same game at all. I managed to finish it on my first playthrough, on the last bit of health of my last life on my last continue, which anyone who's been gaming for a while will tell you is the best way to finish any game, ever. The laboratory stage is probably the best in the game, in every way it can be - design, music, setpieces, etc. The only real quibbles I have are A, the fact that FAR too many times, enemies will spawn directly where you're standing with little to no warning, resulting in cheap damage, and B, that one stage with the frozen rocket gimmick. I'll never understand why developers insist on stages that hamper or remove the elements that propel the rest of the game forward. It's more often annoying than actually challenging. Those points aside though, it's an entertaining game that echoes its legacy without shamelessly repeating it. I recommend it.

I don't care a fig for the lukewarm press, 3D Dot Game Heroes is my front-runner for Game of the Year as of this moment. My file is just barely over 5 hours in, but nearly all of it has been spent with a jack-o-lantern grin on my face. The homages and satire are sweetly presented and the game itself has probably the truest explorer's heart of any Zelda-style game since Link's Awakening. And there's even an Arkanoid-clone minigame! I tells ya, it's like I talk in my sleep, and they had spies write everything down.

Can anyone vouch for Illusion of Gaia on the SNES? My friend said it was worth playing so I picked it up.

Yes, IoG is a SNES classic that everyone should play through at least once. If you enjoy it, you should also check out the first game in the trilogy: Soul Blazer.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Can anyone vouch for Illusion of Gaia on the SNES? My friend said it was worth playing so I picked it up.

The entire trilogy of SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma are well worth playing.
Terranigma is probably one of the best Action RPGs on the SNES ever, but unfortunately it was never released in the US...

Amazingu wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

The entire trilogy of SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma are well worth playing.

You know, I feel really stupid at the moment. I've heard of and seen all three of these games referenced but had no clue they were connected to one another. Dur...

Ashley Winchester wrote:

You know, I feel really stupid at the moment. I've heard of and seen all three of these games referenced but had no clue they were connected to one another. Dur...

Don't worry, they're not actually connected as such, it's just that they have similar thematics and gameplay.
They're "spiritual" successors if anything.

Amazingu wrote:

Terranigma is probably one of the best Action RPGs on the SNES ever, but unfortunately it was never released in the US...

True. I didn't mention it because of that, figured he was looking for carts. I enjoyed it alot when I played the ROM a few years back. Quintet and Enix were great back in the day...

Amazingu wrote:
SonicPanda wrote:

FINALLY!

Of course, it doesn't beat SotN, but out of the portables, it's definitely my favorite.
And noone, besides you my dear dear Panda, ever seems to agree with me.

As far as DS Castleoids go, Portrait is definitely the best. There are a couple of issues in it though that kind of irk me. First off who the hell is Charlotte and why do we care? I mean shes a nice character and I understand that shes here to help the hero but geez is she Belnades or Fernandez or what? They make no such reference. The art style while refreshing is not good by any stretch of the mind. Generic anime stuff? Ok. Does Jonathan move his elbow when he brandishes? No. Honestly when they make the main character brandish my gold standard comparison is Super CastleVania 4.Charlotte seems like a little bit of an after thought. I would love to see more Tomes. The big part that pisses me off is that they have a "Richiter" mode. Why? Because Richter is the last part of the Whip's Memory? As far as I'm concerned the unlockable mode should have been John Morris/Eric Lecarde mode. Oh yeah!

In anycase thats all nitpicking. The soundtrack, the story, the characters and the gameplay are all excellent and I really enjoyed Brauner. For those of you who haven't played OoE don't think that it didn't learn from PoR. It instead fused Simon's Quest with a Castleoid and its very interesting with all the different zones. Exploration outside the castle? Yay! Of course I have my gripes with this one too.

Now back to topic. I have NieR in shrinkwrap. I hope soon I get to play it as right now any spare time I can get is going into Ys 6.