Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

Ashley Winchester Aug 18, 2010 (edited Aug 18, 2010)

Amazingu wrote:

1. The random stage changes. I actually remember when the game was first announced they said that depending on which stage you played, other stages might be greatly influenced, which sounded awesome, but what it comes down to is that you just get some kind of REALLY annoying obstruction in every stage, which was a total pain in the ass. Actually, the first MMX already had slight influences like that, and they were better, more interesting and NOT FRUSTRATING.

I didn't care for the "Nightmare Effect" either. At least they got the name right wink Got to love fighting wretched red circle robots in Blaze Heatnix's stage and have to deal with metal nats and rising, er... natural gas???

Amazingu wrote:

2. I seem to recall, although I forget the exact details, that you could actually get stuck later on in the game if you hadn't found the proper power-ups, or hadn't found Zero or something. I remember a certain jump onto a just-that-bit-too-high wall with spikes on the side that you couldn't make without the proper help.

This was one I was going to bring up as well. I believe this is in the second stage in Gate's Lab; without the right combination of parts it's impossible to proceed past a certain jump with no armor/Shadow Armor. Thing is, Gate's Lab is so full of spikes (which the [really cool] Shadow Armor negates) most people would probably be wearing it at that point. Other stage layout issues revolve around blind jumps in the Amazon and Illumina levels and the ceiling in Rainy Turtleloid's chamber being to tall for Zero to cling to use the ice weapon that's the boss' weakness although that pretty moot since Zero's saber is simply psycho - I don't think the final boss has any invincibility frames after taking a hit. Still, such issues really show the lack of fine-tuning and balance.

Amazingu wrote:

3. I don't like having to collect all parts of an armor before being able to use it. I always loved how you would just equip each part as soon as you found as the capsule.

Yeah, I miss those days too, but since X5/X8 does it as well I don't really peg the problem squarely on one game. The same really applies to the power-up situation with heart and weapon ups. In X5/X6 you have to plan which character kills bosses/saves reploids so they get the powerup. Having to plan and split these powerups between characters just sucks (they should share them), you're better off just sticking with one character per file and maxing them out. I think X5 is worse off since you can be forced to take a Max Up you don't want just to get a part you want. Combine this with the fact you have to wait an (in-game) hour for the part to made and applied at which point you could be using the character you don't want it applied to! X8 solved a lot of these problems – and really improved the tag team system from X7, although I can't say I'm in love with the metal/store system; I miss not having heart tanks in levels.

Amazingu wrote:

The music was great though, I'll hand it that.

Yes, Yes, Yes! This is one of the game's redeeming elements. I remember watching a demo of the game before it came out which had Blaze Heatnix's music playing over some gameplay; I was so taken in.

Another one: with the return of the Z-Buster, Zero's special attack button was combined with his saber button. This works fine until you're on a rope. If you're on a rope, jump off and slash at an enemy, you better not be holding up, otherwise you're going right into a crevasse.

Angela Aug 18, 2010

SonicPanda wrote:

Objection! Even putting aside Gravityman's stage, MM5's stages are remarkably vivid. Waveman's stage is notable because it's essentially abandoned until you hit the jetski, and bits like the bubble hop are unique in the series (at least until Splashwoman stole the idea wholesale). The rumbling parallax of Chargeman's train, Gyroman's elevators, Starman's meteor storm, the SMW-style snake platform (it blew my 12-year-old mind that the NES could pull off such a thing) and collapsing tower of Protoman's castle, all of it so idiosyncratic that I don't understand what people don't see in it.

Okay, I'll give you the snake platform and collapsing tower bits were pretty cool.  But I dunno..... the rest didn't give me the same sense of thrills like, say, Guts Man's gap-dropping platforms, Quick Man's quick beams, or Bright Man's light on/light off half-circular platform section did.  But speaking of quick beams.....

-Have you seen the batshit nuttiest MM5 hack ever?

Now THAT was some crazy awesome design.  I would even endure Star Man's evil theme to have a few cracks at mastering that. big_smile

Amazingu wrote:

Man, I've never seen this many insane Mega Man opinions on one page in my entire life!

Yeah.  The numerous discussions very nearly warrants its own designated thread.  Too bad Adam couldn't somehow pick out all the MM-related posts, and plunk them into a newly created topic titled "The Mega Man Mega Thread." smile

About to start on Mr. X's stages, so I should be set to finish Mega Man 6 tonight.  Impressions to follow.

Jay Aug 18, 2010

Ryu wrote:
Jay wrote:

I just started Fallout 3 last night. It's a funny one. Feels like it's a FPS but so definitely an RPG. Reminds me of the brief time I spent with Star Wars Galaxies, the only MMORPG I have ever played.

I've never played an MMORPG (uh, unless Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast counts, but I don't recall it being much of one), and I think Nintendo has the only property that, if it were converted into an MMORPG, would tempt me to try one, which would be Pokemon.

Anyway, I haven't played Fallout 3 either.  Still on that Sega racing game I previously mentioned.

I don't know a massive amount about MMORPGs but one of their function seems to be dragging people in for hours, days and weeks. I guess because they have monthly fees they want to hold on to. As a result, things are slooooooooow.

And Fallout 3 seems to be a bit like that too, only in single player and without the monthly fees. I have found I can play for hours and get next to nothing done.

That said, it's sucking me in, getting me into the location, the characters and I'm still playing so that has to be a good sign.

Sorry, that had nothing to do with Mega Man.

Ashley Winchester Aug 19, 2010

The battle against the Helicopter in Syphon Filter is still as aweome and as hard as ever. If only the thing didn't drop down extra dudes on the platform... they always distract you that extra second too long so the gattling gun can turn you into swiss cheese. What kinda stinks is the thing has a lot of stamina, so it's easy to blow hours on it when each try ends up lasting 15 before you die; I just blew two hours on it and decided to take a break. Still, it feels so good when you win.

Tim JC Aug 19, 2010

Anyone playing Ys Seven yet? I don't know when I'll be picking up a copy myself, but I expected to see mention of it on here not long after the release date.

Zealboy Aug 19, 2010 (edited Aug 19, 2010)

Tim JC wrote:

Anyone playing Ys Seven yet? I don't know when I'll be picking up a copy myself, but I expected to see mention of it on here not long after the release date.

I'm playing through it now.  I estimate I'm about 65-70% done at the 18 hour mark.  I am not at all a Falcom fanboy nor am I too fond of the PSP.  The only Falcom titles I've ever played are Ys 6 and about 10 hours of Legend of Heroes 4.  But I made a promise to a friend to play this game, and so I am.  Anyway, I'm having fun with it overall.  This is mostly due to fast paced hack and slashing goodness.  The gameplay is definitely nice and swift.  There are a billion needless skills that you learn from different weapons and the perfectionist in me wants to get them all leveled decently, but I'm quickly learning not to bother.  It would take too much of a grind and the majority of the skills aren't unique to each other.
The story and characters are as generic as they come, but there are still a few charming moments.  The localization seems decent overall.  Nothing atrocious like Bandai-Namco's Legend of Heroes.  I read some people claiming that the translation was bland.  While it's certainly not the most exciting script I've ever seen, I suspect that's more due to the original material than the quality of the localization.  I say this because there are often times I get the feeling they're really trying to spruce up flat dialogue.  I could be wrong.  Man oh man do they like their ellipses though...! ... .... All the time...

Tim JC Aug 19, 2010

Zealboy wrote:
Tim JC wrote:

I'm playing through it now.  I estimate I'm about 65-70% done at the 18 hour mark.  I am not at all a Falcom fanboy nor am I too fond of the PSP.  The only Falcom titles I've ever played are Ys 6 and about 10 hours of Legend of Heroes 4.  But I made a promise to a friend to play this game, and so I am.  Anyway, I'm having fun with it overall.  This is mostly due to fast paced hack and slashing goodness.  The gameplay is definitely nice and swift.  There are a billion needless skills that you learn from different weapons and the perfectionist in me wants to get them all leveled decently, but I'm quickly learning not to bother.  It would take too much of a grind and the majority of the skills aren't unique to each other.
The story and characters are as generic as they come, but there are still a few charming moments.  The localization seems decent overall.  Nothing atrocious like Bandai-Namco's Legend of Heroes.  I read some people claiming that the translation was bland.  While it's certainly not the most exciting script I've ever seen, I suspect that's more due to the original material than the quality of the localization.  I say this because there are often times I get the feeling they're really trying to spruce up flat dialogue.  I could be wrong.  Man oh man do they like their ellipses though...! ... .... All the time...

Cool. The only Ys game I've played previously is also number 6 (though I've checked out a few of the earlier ones on emulator and had mixed feelings). I've also played Gurumin, which I really enjoyed. I like what I've seen in the videos of Falcom's newer games, and I'm a big fan of hack-and-slash gameplay, so I've been looking forward to the XSEED releases. Sounds like fun.

Zealboy Aug 20, 2010

Oh yes, and I found my favorite line in the game.  "You came in through the fog, no?  You've got some serious zeal, boy!"  Mwahaha.  Best line ever!

Pellasos Aug 20, 2010

Tim JC wrote:

yea, hopefully i'll be playing by next week. ordered the LE.

Pedrith Aug 20, 2010

Just picked up the LE today and have started playing.  Really digging this game.  A little disappointed that I can't hook it up to my tv, but it is nice to see where the pieces from the full Ys Seven soundtrack go.

David

Bernhardt Aug 23, 2010 (edited Aug 23, 2010)

Dude, AVGN can stuff it...okay, maybe not that harsh, but...

I am enjoying Castlevania II ~ Simon's Quest (NES) more than all get-out!

(AVGN Original Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4we8iFk-fY )

Some points I agree with:

-Lying townspeople are liars; at least the manual tells you that some townspeople are actually supposed to be liars. It's like, dude, I'm trying to free your countryside from the curse of Dracula, don't putz around with me...hmm...OH!...I get it...they're actually MINIONS of Dracula in disguise!

-Invisible pitfalls that aren't forewarned about; this's the kind of thing NPCs / townspeople need to mention! Not even any mention in the manual! I'm dropping holy water the way that Johnny Appleseed planted the countryside...well, for the most part, you REALLY need to look for pitfalls above spikes, water, and bottomless pits. But throwing the stuff aimlessly everywhere IS extraneous.

-"What a horrible night to have a curse..." "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night..." "What a horrible night to have a curse..." "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night..." "What a horrible night to have a curse..." "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night..." "What a horrible night to have a curse..." "The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night..."

-The tornado thing. Again, why can't NPCs talk about USEFUL things?

-Losing all your hearts when you die...but at least you keep all your equipment!

-Passwords; thank GOD for Wii savestates, eh? This'd be more of an issue if the Wii didn't offer savestates...

Some of my own points to make:

-Towns and dungeons aren't really labeled; when you come to a town, you don't even have a townsperson saying, "Welcome to [so-and-so] town!" It's difficult to keep track of where you are.

Well, those're all my COMPLAINTS, I guess I'd be complaining more if I hadn't been forewarned by the AVGN,

but really, I got through Brahms's mansion no problem, I've gotten through 3 towns, and I'm up-to-date on all my equipment, but I kind of hit a snag on looking for the next mansion.

I suppose I'll hit up a walkthrough at some point, but I'm actually rather enjoying trying to figure all of this out on my own!

Ashley Winchester Aug 24, 2010

I don't really take anything the AVGN said about CV2 (or any game) too seriously. For example, he may have some points in the video on the original NES TMNT game (why can't turtles swim?) but the thing is a classic regardless.

Finished Syphon Filter and popped in Syphon Filter 2. It's not really living up to my memories as well as the first one did; it feels like a standard sequel, which it is. If anything, it's like how Tomb Raider II feels to me. Still holding out hope that the last few levels in the slums/sewers are as powerful as they felt a few years ago though.

Amazingu Aug 24, 2010

Ashley Winchester wrote:

If anything, it's like how Tomb Raider II feels to me.

I never quite got all the hate Tomb Raider II gets.
I can understand people being annoyed at the overabundance of enemies, I guess, but the level design and atmosphere are pretty much the best in the series, hands down.

Amazingu wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

If anything, it's like how Tomb Raider II feels to me.

I never quite got all the hate Tomb Raider II gets.

I don't know it you would call it hate per say (hate being reserved for true abominations), that's not really what I was driving at. In an attempt to make things a little more clear, while I can see myself playing Tomb Raider II again I can't see myself playing Tomb Raider III. Ugh... Tomb Raider III.

Amazingu Aug 25, 2010

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I can't see myself playing Tomb Raider III. Ugh... Tomb Raider III.

Ah, but that is something I can see myself totally getting behind.
My love for the PSX Tomb Raider games starts at 1 and ends with 2.

Not a very high track record for the series, but MAN those 2 were awesome beyond belief as far as I'm concerned.

Ashley Winchester Aug 26, 2010

Finished Syphon Filter 2 (it really does pick up in the final levels although the game nearly collapses under the weight of its own narrative) and started 3 which I'm enjoying a lot more. Almost to the new(er) ones.

"As one would expect, the engine behind Syphon Filter shows its age with its third installment. Despite such an inevitability (and squeezing everything onto a single disc) Syphon Filter 3 concludes the trilogy by turning previous storyline footnotes into full-fledged levels in order to flesh out the characters cultivated by its predecessors. Such a ploy works, making the game feel a lot more special than it truly is."

The "squeezing everything onto a single disc" is actually very, very hysterically true - the characters don't even have their own individual grunts when they get shot and die.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to get another copy of the game at some point since the videos are skipping big chunks and the disc has already been resurfaced. Still, $3 to see if the game was still viable wasn't too bad.

Ashley Winchester Aug 26, 2010 (edited Aug 26, 2010)

God, I forgot all about the freakin' Convoy level in SF3! This one part is just dumb luck if you get it:

Ellis will contact you and inform you of heavy sniper fire from the valley. 
Use the labels and enemy gunfire to figure out where their heads are and
headshot them both for a checkpoint.

Welcome to hell.  This is probably the hardest part of any Syphon Filter. 
After turning around and shooting a guard who’s trying to flank you alone,
head into the valley.  About eight snipers total, four at a time, will open
fire with their PK-102’s from above.  DO NOT STOP MOVING.  Run around and
kill the ones closest to you while never reloading unless you absolutely
have to and running towards the other snipers while firing.  Once all the
snipers are dead, you’ll get a checkpoint.

Welcome to hell indeed.

Edit: And of course, when I was close to getting it the game freezes.

Pellasos Aug 26, 2010

Resonance of Fate on PS3

pretty unique JRPG experience with guns as primary weapons. it'll take a while to get started on the battle system, but once you've cracked the basic tactics, you're pretty much set for the majority of the game. you don't buy armor for stats in this one, but instead you get to dress up your three playable characters with regular clothing, just for looks. there is a wide array of clothing, so you might as well call this game fashion-RPG if you want. your stat boosts come solely through customizable weapons.

the music is by kohei tanaka and motoi sakuraba. the world and town themes are very pretty and the highlight of this soundtrack. the battle themes are typical sakuraba stuff. few are great, but the majority is pretty boring.

you can breeze through the game in 30 hours without doing any sidequests. platinum trophy will take 100 hours. give it a try if you are tired of the same old stuff. oh, and this game was called End of Eternity in japan.

Ashley Winchester Aug 26, 2010 (edited Aug 26, 2010)

Pellasos wrote:

oh, and this game was called End of Eternity in japan.

Wasn't the renaming due to a copyright/trademark issue?

Amazingu Aug 27, 2010

Pellasos wrote:

you can breeze through the game in 30 hours without doing any sidequests. platinum trophy will take 100 hours. give it a try if you are tired of the same old stuff. oh, and this game was called End of Eternity in japan.

"breeze through"!?
The game is known for getting ridiculously hard in the latter half...

Pellasos Aug 27, 2010

i just finished the optional dungeon neverland. if you take care of your guns and adjust your tactics, it's not too tough. like i've said, it takes a while to fully comprehend the battle system, it's pretty deep, but once you get started it shouldn't be too tough.

how far are you in?

Amazingu Aug 27, 2010

Pellasos wrote:

i just finished the optional dungeon neverland. if you take care of your guns and adjust your tactics, it's not too tough. like i've said, it takes a while to fully comprehend the battle system, it's pretty deep, but once you get started it shouldn't be too tough.

how far are you in?

I'm at the end of Chapter 9 (I think. I haven't actually touched the game for a long while now) and the boss is ruthlessly killing me. I could probably improve my chances if I went back to the Arena for some levelling, but for some reason the Arena bores me witless.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB