Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

XLord007 Mar 9, 2011

Five more demos:

Major League Baseball 2K11 (PS3)
-See my rant above about The Show.  Same feelings apply here.

Marvel Pinball (PS3)
-Another fun pinball game from Zen Studios.

Top Spin 4 (PS3)
-Look at my baseball rant and replace "baseball" with tennis.  Mario Tennis (any platform) is far better than this.

Alien Breed 3: Descent (PS3)
-Wow, it's almost the exact same game as the first two (which is to say that it's not bad, but nothing special).

Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
-Played a different part of the single-player game than when I tried my friend's 360 copy.  As always, I could do without the extremely linear nature of these games, but it's still pretty fun.

Jay Mar 10, 2011

I'm currently playing two PS1 games which recently became available on PSN, so they're on my PSP. Ridge Racer Type 4, which is just as good as I remember. The tracks are fantastic, the handling works perfectly for them. There's a challenge without any last minute nitros of the recent games. And the atmosphere and design is perfect. The colours and design choices mean the technical 3D aging really doesn't matter. It still looks great.

The other game is Xenogears. I loved this back in the day. I'm not far into it but I'm loving it again now. I'll admit my tolerance for random battles has pretty much disappeared and there are some sections already where you can barely take a few steps before you're back in another one and that frustrates me. How I ever put up with random battles is a mystery.

But what's around those battles is great. It just gets right into the drama and feels big almost from the start.

And both of these games get so much of their identity from the music. RR4's jazzy music is superb. And Xenogears would be half the game it is (or less) without Mitsuda's score.

XLord007 Mar 13, 2011

Jay wrote:

And both of these games get so much of their identity from the music. RR4's jazzy music is superb. And Xenogears would be half the game it is (or less) without Mitsuda's score.

Yes, both of those have fantastic soundtracks.  One more win...

Idolores Mar 14, 2011

Jay wrote:

I'm currently playing two PS1 games which recently became available on PSN, so they're on my PSP. Ridge Racer Type 4, which is just as good as I remember. The tracks are fantastic, the handling works perfectly for them. There's a challenge without any last minute nitros of the recent games. And the atmosphere and design is perfect. The colours and design choices mean the technical 3D aging really doesn't matter. It still looks great.

Amen, broski. If RR4 isn't the best racing game of all time, it at least comes close (as far as I'm concerned).

XLord007 Mar 15, 2011

I played the Explodemon (PS3) demo tonight.  It's a decent platformer from Curve Studios.  The best parts are probably the music and the broken English that the title character uses to great hilarity.  I haven't played the 360 demo of Splosion Man yet, so I'm not sure how similar it is to that from a gameplay standpoint.

Bernhardt Mar 23, 2011 (edited Mar 23, 2011)

Deadly Creatures

Decent game (especially for the bargain bin price nowadays), relatively innovative concept, if though generic - you play alternately between a tarantula and scorpion in the Sonoran Desert; besides the usual predatory insect survival, the game's plot centers around a murder conspiracy.

Very atmospheric, surreal, and moody, especially the music, sound effects, and environmental and visual effects.

Difficulty

Difficulty's actually pretty reasonable, and challenging in places; probably the first game in awhile in which I incurred regular Game Overs, and just had to try over again. Feels pretty good playing a game in which they don't just HAND victories to me.

Those're the good parts about the game. Now come my gripes.

Camera

The camera can get stuck sometimes, and be very zoomed out from where you are, leaving you unable to see what you're doing; this's especially bad during boss fights. Then there's those times when it gets stuck, and jiggles, when going around a corner.

Flipped Upside Down

There are times when you, or your enemies, might get caught or stuck frozen when touching, or passing by a wall or other stationary object. This's especially annoying if your boss enemy gets caught on something, and they're stuck in their blocking or defense position; then you can't defeat them, and you can't proceed. RESET!

There are times at which the game freezes mid-gameplay, and has to load/buffer...

Save Points

They should put the Save Points at places right before difficult boss battles; after every defeat, they have you backtracking through the same parts again, just to get back to the same boss fight lair.

Waggle

Some of the attacks tend to delay, especially the ones involving waggle (swing horizontally or vertically for some moves); this gives enemies plenty of time to gang up on you. In instances like this, fall back, and try launching your attacks from a distance, before your enemy is in point blank range; trust me, your attacks delay so much, by the time the enemy comes from across the room, they're walking right into your attack.

They Didn't Teach that in Biology Class...

Don't know how accurate the movements and attacks of the insects and other creatures run, but I've never seen a tarantula do a spin attack (propeller) before, and I've never seen a beetle intentionally head butt another beetle straight into a cactus spine to impale it. Don't know how conscious insects are of their environment, or physics, but consider me unable to suspend my disbelief.

All in all, a decent game, especially given THQ's standards; but there's still plenty of hiccups you have to work around, if you want to enjoy the game.

Equations of Insanity Mar 26, 2011

Since our Wii is broken and I can't start Tales of Symphonia, I've been playing various games from the Megaman X Collection on our PS2. That game + My brother + Ar Tonelico Hymmnos blasting out of our speakers = so much fun!

Pokemon Black is also taking up a good chunk of my time, and I recently got back into Mother 3, so that's also been a time waster.

Pellasos Mar 27, 2011

been rocking some hard corps: uprising (contra) lately. i'm too lazy to type more, but that game exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

over and out.

Sami Mar 27, 2011

Playing Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on the DS. What a great game! Can't wait for the PSN/XBLA version with online multiplayer, rebalanced units and possibly other extras!

Bernhardt Apr 4, 2011 (edited Apr 4, 2011)

Super C

I'll always retain that they should've titled it: Contra II: Super C, but whatever.

After practicing it over and over for the past week or so, I finally MASTERED it!

No walkthroughs, no cheats, I did it completely organically...as opposed to what some OTHER people might say.

Figuring out what weapon I needed, or what worked best, was probably the most entertaining part of the game; can't decide which weapon I like better: The Flamethrower, or the Laser Gun; the Spread Fire has its purpose, and the Machine Gun's better than the normal gun, at least.

Flamethrower shots explode when they hit an enemy, damaging other nearby enemies, but the Laser Gun sends a continuous shot all the way across the screen, goes through enemies without stopping or dissipating, and it does quite an amount of damage, as does the Flamethrower.

Spread Fire's good for when the screen's just FILLED up with enemies, when you need to down multiple targets at once; I'd swear that it's shots are only about as powerful as your basic gun, though.

What makes this game so challenging, is that the targets just keep coming; they just keep coming from off screen.

Mega Man games are easy, because targets don't respawn or regenerate unless you leave the screen, and return, but there aren't a whole lot of instances in those games in which they just keep throwing targets at you.

If I was REALLY serious, I'd go ahead, and try beating the game without using ANY of the special guns, or power ups!

Now, those wankers just need to go ahead and put the first Contra on Wii VC.

rein Apr 4, 2011

I realized belatedly that one of the caravan merchants in Fallout 3 had died.  His death was not by my hand, and I'm not sure how he died.  I don't think that the game is processing faraway events in the background, so he must have died while I was nearby.  I recall that I had followed him from Rivet City because I was curious about the route that he was taking, and he encountered some super mutants in front of the Jefferson Memorial, but his guard made short work of them.

I am debating whether to forfeit 10 hours of playtime to undo his death.

Idolores Apr 6, 2011

So I picked up 3rd Birthday the other day. I'm definitely liking what I've played so far, feels a little like Crisis Core to me, and that's a good thing. Being that my play sessions so far have bee restricted to my commutes to and from work, I haven't given the music a good listen, but so far its' a welcome change of pace to the tepid ambient soundscape that was the majority of the second games' soundtrack.

I'll post my full thoughts later when I can pry myself away from Pokemon White long enough to give my PSP some hot, torrid lovin'.

mystic_pizza Apr 6, 2011

Jay wrote:

(...)

Definitely dude.
Damn I remember Ridge Racer 4 having such a bad frame rate on the old playstation. Playing (a part of) it through Ridge Racer Portable was really wonderful.
And still, I don't feel like buying the same game twice just to play it right 10 years after the original release.

Still playing Warzard here. This game is weird, it's really a strange melting pot, but I think I'm beginning to enjoy it. 'Gonna have to play with May-lin more seriously.

Nekobo Apr 6, 2011 (edited Apr 6, 2011)

Currently playing Castlevania Lords of Shadow and DJ Hero 2, which is currently on sale for $30 at Gamestop.

Next on my list: Back to the Future episode 2 and Neptunia.

BTW, The R4 soundtrack is ace.

Tim JC Apr 8, 2011

Two Worlds II on PS3. This game got some critical reviews, but I'm glad I picked it up. It gives me my open fantasy world exploration fix while I'm waiting for Skyrim and Xenoblade.

Amazingu Apr 8, 2011

Tim JC wrote:

Two Worlds II on PS3. This game got some critical reviews, but I'm glad I picked it up. It gives me my open fantasy world exploration fix while I'm waiting for Skyrim and Xenoblade.

I finished TWII two days ago, and it's a lot better than most reviews will have you believe.

It is, however, severely broken, which is probably one of the main reasons it's not scoring too well.

Tim JC Apr 8, 2011 (edited Apr 8, 2011)

Amazingu wrote:
Tim JC wrote:

I finished TWII two days ago, and it's a lot better than most reviews will have you believe.

It is, however, severely broken, which is probably one of the main reasons it's not scoring too well.

Yeah, it has some steadfast glitches (like your character's voice cutting off)...awkward menu design...dopey controls (I'm not quite used to the whole button configuration yet)...unnecessary effects...trial-and-error gameplay elements, etc. Yet the world and atmosphere more than make up for it to me. I don't care that it isn't particularly "original" either. I've never hunted savanna animals in an rpg before, and I love it. Nice music too. The one big gripe I have is that trying to read the text is a real crapshoot on my SD TV, but I've just come to accept that from this generation's games.

SonicPanda Apr 14, 2011

Finally set aside the time to set up the HD set I got for Christmas, and now that I can see things on it, I've been ramping up my PS3 time.
The best of what I've dabbled in lately is Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. I've never cared for Pac-Man much before, but that one is fantastic. I've managed to rank in the Top 5% on some of the boards, which is an embarassingly-effective motivator to keep playing.
I also went ahead and got a Bluetooth headset-thingy (pain in the ass to put on, let me tell you) and such, so don't be a stranger if you see me on. Especially if you're willing to throw down on Critter Crunch.

Boyblunder Apr 14, 2011

I just got through Legend of Mana. Highly addictive and very fun to play, would recommend.

GoldfishX Apr 14, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot1TSFr3L7M

I'm the one running Amaterasu, Spencer and Taskmaster. Playing a really annoying Chun/Wesker/Phoenix, who had won the last tourney here. I ended up losing in Grand Finals, but the end of this one was crazy...I didn't realize how many people were watching and the room just went nuts at the end, like an explosion. You can see my one friend grab from behind right after the match is over, then I saw the guy with the camera motioning towards me.

The one guy is chanting "C! C!" because the guy I'm playing is mashing out lightning legs every 2 seconds. Someone goes "He's hitting B!", so he starts chanting "B! B!"

SonicPanda Apr 23, 2011

GoldfishX wrote:

The one guy is chanting "C! C!" because the guy I'm playing is mashing out lightning legs every 2 seconds. Someone goes "He's hitting B!", so he starts chanting "B! B!"

That guy is super-annoying, but an entertaining vid otherwise. It's also nice to see what you look like. Congrats on the win.

Anyone else working on Portal 2? I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I'm stuck near the start of Chapter 3.

Amazingu Apr 23, 2011

SonicPanda wrote:

Anyone else working on Portal 2? I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I'm stuck near the start of Chapter 3.

Just finished it a couple of days ago. Very entertaining, although it starts dragging slightly before the end, both in terms of puzzles and in terms of story/characters (the final chapter is pretty cool though).

I came to 2 conclusions:
1) I love the Source Engine, and I can't wait for them to make a new Half-Life.
2) Valve knows how to write comedy.

Qui-Gon Joe Apr 23, 2011

I finished Portal 2 as well - it's been a long time (<-- GlaDOS voice?) since I've bought a game at launch and just played it through in every spare moment I had.  I never really felt like it dragged, and I looooooved the writing and acting throughout.  I felt like the game was a little easier than the first one, though - mostly in terms of... how do I describe it... the physical skills required?  Like, figuring out the puzzles wasn't super easy or anything, but I didn't feel that once I figured out what to do my reflexes were as taxed as they were for some things in the first game.  ...if that makes any sense at all.

But yeah... freaking awesome overall.  Loved every second.

XLord007 Apr 24, 2011

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

Like, figuring out the puzzles wasn't super easy or anything, but I didn't feel that once I figured out what to do my reflexes were as taxed as they were for some things in the first game.  ...if that makes any sense at all. But yeah... freaking awesome overall.  Loved every second.

I also finished Portal 2 single-player this week, and I also loved it.  I agree that the game as a whole was easier than the first one, but I don't think that's a bad thing since the parts that were difficult about the first one were what Valve refers to as the "ninja skills" that Qui Gon is talking about above.  Valve said they wanted the challenge to only come from solving the puzzles so you wouldn't get frustrated physically trying to execute your solution after you figure it out.  I like that they did that, and I had a blast playing it.  I normally only play games one or two days a week, but this one was so addictive that I pretty much spent every bit of nonwork time playing it until I beat it Friday night.  I'm looking forward to doing the co-op missions with a friend if the PSN ever starts working again.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB