Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:
Amazingu wrote:

The first 2 games had slow moments, yes, (Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone in particular coming to mind), but not because of exploration so much as just more platform-heavy gameplay, which has been all but abandoned in recent games.

Yeah, I remember the Marble Zone (which has awesome music btw) being a little more methodical in nature and it may be those types of levels I'm looking for. I'll have to head back into zombieland, er... Sonicland while I have the Genesis out.

I whipped out Sonic 1 the other night and it pretty much felt the way I thought it would. While the speed is there it doesn't feel like the only thing the game has to offer. I like how the game slows down in certain stages (Marble Zone) and speeds up in others (Spring Yard Zone). Still, the lack of the Spin Dash comes off odd as does the lack of Tales.

Sonic 1 was before Sonic Teams obsession with fruit colored woodland animals.

You know, I've encountered something about Sonic 1 that I really hate. I started playing it and three seconds into the second act of the Green Hill Zone I turned it off somewhat disgusted. Why can't there be some small amount (or longer amount) of invulnerably after a hit? From a fall I landed in a spike pit and before I could even grab a ring or get out of it I was dead. And things started off really, really well receiving a continue and Chaos Emerald so early at the end of Act 1.

Still, it probably wouldn't have mattered, my progress would have stalled out after the Spring Yard Zone like it always does anyway.

I know, I know... if I was Mega Man I would have been dead anyway.

God, what I wouldn't give for Sonic 3's battery back-up in these earlier games....

Ashley Winchester wrote:

God, what I wouldn't give for Sonic 3's battery back-up in these earlier games....

I would've said the same thing on Ninja Gaiden 1 for the NES back in the day. Getting out in 6-4 only to be pushed ALL the way back to 6-1 was BS of the highest magnitude.

Judgment Day wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

I would've said the same thing on Ninja Gaiden 1 for the NES back in the day. Getting out in 6-4 only to be pushed ALL the way back to 6-1 was BS of the highest magnitude.

I know the very part your talking about and yeah, it mars what is otherwise an excellent game and experience. Still, as bad as it is, I try not to allow it to diminish what the game gets right - which is a lot.

I believe I could beat Ninja Gaiden on the NES (sans emluator/save state) at one point, but if I could those memories are pretty hazy. Regardless, they helped make up for this in the sequel and it's last stage.

I picked up a copy of Breath of Fire III for the PSP earlier tonight. I was kind of caught off-guard when I saw it considering it was only released in the EU and not in the US - which is just wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry (Warning: anti SquareEnix rant) we can slap Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II on the PSP and resell them for the third time but we can't let this wonderful little gem see life again and allow a new generation to play it?*

* = I know this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. I'm aware the amount of people that would play BOFIII that haven't before is probably low. The game doesn't really break new ground - it's a basic bread and butter JRPG - but I think it's a worthy experience that's aged well.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I was kind of caught off-guard when I saw it considering it was only released in the EU and not in the US - which is just wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry (Warning: anti SquareEnix rant) we can slap Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II on the PSP and resell them for the third time but we can't let this wonderful little gem see life again and allow a new generation to play it?*

Because obviously it's SQEX's fault that BOFIII wasn't released in the US.
If there's any company that's adamant to get their shit in as many grubby little hands as possible, it's SQEX, my friend.

If you're going to be angry at anyone, be angry at Nintendo for not bringing Xenoblade to the US.

Amazingu wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

I was kind of caught off-guard when I saw it considering it was only released in the EU and not in the US - which is just wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry (Warning: anti SquareEnix rant) we can slap Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II on the PSP and resell them for the third time but we can't let this wonderful little gem see life again and allow a new generation to play it?*

Because obviously it's SQEX's fault that BOFIII wasn't released in the US.
If there's any company that's adamant to get their shit in as many grubby little hands as possible, it's SQEX, my friend.

Actually, I'm more pissed a Sony. Supposedly they're the ones that sunk BOFIII's PSP boat and the only reason I picked on SE is because anything with the words "Final" and "Fantasy" is going to get licensed even if it's uber redundant - money talks. I wasn't really saying the one was the result of the other, I was just saying one is (IMO) more deserving than the other and deserves another whirl.

Amazingu wrote:

If you're going to be angry at anyone, be angry at Nintendo for not bringing Xenoblade to the US.

I'm totally willing to give this to you. You'd think with that huge loss Nintendo just posted they'd want to publish this thing abroad, especially considering the fact it's selling like hotcakes from what I've heard.

Having beaten Uncharted 3, I'm back to going through Arkham Asylum. For some reason, I'm having trouble maintaining interest in the game. I recognize that it's well-made but after the brilliance of Xenoblade, any game would pale in comparison.

Wanderer wrote:

I recognize that it's well-made but after the brilliance of Xenoblade, any game would pale in comparison.

Seriously though, I think Xenoblade has actually significantly damaged my ability to enjoy other games...

Played the Rayman Origins demo last night, and it's ALL I hoped for, perhaps even more.

As a huge fan of the original for it's bright, colorful 2D graphics, lovely soundtrack, and surprisingly ball-busting difficulty, I am glad to see that all of those elements are still very much in place.

Can't wait for this, but what to do?
Get the US version on the 15th, or wait for the delicious collection pack from Europe on the 25th?

Amazingu wrote:

Played the Rayman Origins demo last night, and it's ALL I hoped for, perhaps even more.

As a huge fan of the original for it's bright, colorful 2D graphics, lovely soundtrack, and surprisingly ball-busting difficulty, I am glad to see that all of those elements are still very much in place.

Just watched the Gametrailers review, and it looks pretty hot!  Just might have a go with it after Super Mario 3D Land.

After finishing Shadow of the Colossus, I decided to start Limbo since it should be short enough to finish before Zelda comes out.  I like the art and gameplay, but once again I wish the game could give me just a little something to go on in terms of the story.  They just drop you in and that's it.  Even the old Metroid games gave you some back story in the instruction manual so you had some idea why you were there and what your motivation was.

Amazingu wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

I recognize that it's well-made but after the brilliance of Xenoblade, any game would pale in comparison.

Seriously though, I think Xenoblade has actually significantly damaged my ability to enjoy other games...

Aye. What a game. My GOTY of 2011, thus far.

Getting happier with Arkham Asylum as the difficulty ramps up. I'm probably 3/4s through (my estimate) and that doesn't count all the riddler hunting I'll have to do. wink

Finished Limbo.  I liked the puzzle design, but I'm annoyed that the game ends as abruptly as it starts.  Feels pretty insubstantial overall.  Can't really recommend it.

Last edited by XLord007 (Nov 12, 2011)

Came across this on Destructiod:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2011/10/demo.html

It's a fan-remake of Metroid 2 playable demo. Looks pretty polished.

You know, speaking of Metroid II, why does it always seem to get the short end of the stick from Metroid fans? I know it doesn't have the flash of Super Metroid but it's still a very fine handheld title that definitely worth the handful of hours it takes to complete.

Yeah, Metroid 2 has some nice features, like the spider ball thing. I did find the close view a little tricky and the seemingly random layout frustrating, like the first one (which I never finished in its original form).

I'm currently playing Aquaria on the iPad. It's a beautiful game. Like Ecco, it's a swim-em-up but it's huge and open (little bit Metroidy actually) with gorgeous atmosphere. Really nice.

I love Metroid II.  Really wish Nintendo would do a proper remake of that, keeping the sense of dread and the evolving Metroids, but adding a map, zooming out the view a bit, and allowing you to keep all the weapons you find.

Playing Final Fantasy IV on the PSP. I have to admit despite this being the (let's see... 1-SNES, 2-PS1, 3-GBA, 4-DS, 5-PSP... feel like I'm missing one) 5th or so version of this thing it's all the little touches that make it stand out. I also like how the script and translation seems to flow much nicer now that text space is no longer a problem.

Futhermore, I never really noticed how much Final Fantasy I fan service is packed into this game. I know all the games take influence from one another and often just re-arrange and repackage simular things but it's really hitting me this time.

Still, I don't know if I'll hop right into IV Interlude or The After Years right after this. IV is another game I didn't feel needed a sequel. I remember watching some video of the first chapter of TAY and couldn't help but see everything coming a mile away. Gee... I wonder who the hooded man is...! Duh!

XLord007 wrote:

I love Metroid II.  Really wish Nintendo would do a proper remake of that, keeping the sense of dread and the evolving Metroids, but adding a map, zooming out the view a bit, and allowing you to keep all the weapons you find.

I think there's a fan project out there where they're remaking Metroid II using the Zero Mission . . . engine? Thing? Whatever it's called for 2D games.

EDIT: Found it.

Last edited by Idolores (Dec 3, 2011)

XLord007 wrote:

I'll agree on adding a map. I remember the first few years I had the game I couldn't find all the metroids in one of the quote unquote "phases" and couldn't continue. A few years later I came back to it and figured it out. Also it didn't hurt that I got an old Nintendo Power from my grade school library with the maps in it. I don't have it anymore but I sure as hell kept those pages and made digital copies of them! Very handy.

I kind of wish I knew what happened to my (silver covered) Nintendo Power with Mega Man X on the cover went. I can't say it's really important (don't really need maps for that game now and I have the [unobscured] artwork in the art books) but it was a nice companion piece to the game.

Speaking of Mega Man X, did anyone ever see in the one volume before that how the intro stage in Mega Man X initially had white roadways? Very stark difference to dark green and purple ones that made the final game. Stuff like that is always pretty interesting.

Playing Skyrim right now. Great game. Before that, I went through Batman: Arkham Asylum (also a great game, but for very different reasons).

In FFIV I just rescued Rosa but I thought a big iron ball almost fell on her, not a swinging axe.. It's amazing what didn't make the cut for "western audiences" in back in 1991, it's so tame compared to what's out there today where you can run over crack prostitutes.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but was the part where Celes was being beaten in FFVIremoved from more modern ports of the game? I thought I heard somewhere where there was a incident in Japan were someone did something similar to another person (I don't believe it was inspired by the game) and as a result they took that out, or is that just an urban legend?

That might have been some bullshit (<_< amazed at lack of censoring!) I heard at GameStop, like when a employee told me they couldn't remake Final Fantasy VII because of it's usage of "terrorism."

Anyway, I know it's really dumb to block out plot points for fifteen/twenty year old games but you never know who's reading.

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me if Final Fantasy VI Advance would be worth playing on the GBA just to check out the translation? I remember some people being in an uproar over with classic Woosley lines like "son of a submariner" being changed.

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (Dec 3, 2011)

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me if Final Fantasy VI Advance would be worth playing on the GBA just to check out the translation?

the bonus dungeon will add a good 10 hours of play. tons of bosses way harder than the end battle even if you're at level 99. make sure get play thru kefkas tower a few times to steal a bunch of Atmas first

I've been playing Mario 3D Land, which I think is pretty great, a little of Metroid 2, which is still good but could really do with some colour, and now playing Mario Kart 7. The new tracks are mostly excellent and a good selection of classic tracks too. Really enjoying it.