Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

I'm near the end of The 4 Heroes of Light and man I just got through one HELL of a fight. The game hasn't really been hard but fighting my Doppelgangers was just a bitch. The thing that really bugs me about the game is it's complete [e.g. insane] reliance on elemental alignments/weakness.

Every boss fight comes down to having the right elemental gear (offensive as well as defensive) equipped. Unfortunately, you can't change equipment in battle nor can you really carry enough gear (as well as spells) to cover every possible scenario. So you can probably guess there is a lot - too much - trail and error involved. In the early going I just got frustrated with this and started looking at a guide so I'd know what I needed for each boss. In the purest sense it adds up to pretty lousy game design.

Still, as uninspiring as the game is in almost all respects I don't hate it. I don't love it but I don't feel like I've wasted my time with it either.

Edit: OMG does the last guy tick me off...

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (Feb 21, 2012)

This picture should give a good idea as to what I've been playing.

Zane wrote:

This picture should give a good idea as to what I've been playing.

You know I really need to replay that... but I really played the hell out of it when I was in high school. My friends and I had (pointless) competitions to see who could get their limit breaks the earliest which is insanely stupid. Ever try to fill the limit bar for a level 3 break on disc one? That doesn't work to well...

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (Feb 21, 2012)

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Ever try to fill the limit bar for a level 3 break on disc one? That doesn't work to well...

Shit wasn't that bad. Slap a Hyper on your characters and make sure they've got the "Cover" materia equipped at all times. Limits all day erry day.

Idolores wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Ever try to fill the limit bar for a level 3 break on disc one? That doesn't work to well...

Shit wasn't that bad. Slap a Hyper on your characters and make sure they've got the "Cover" materia equipped at all times. Limits all day erry day.

I went back to Mythril Mine mid/late disc 2 and used Slash-All in the uppermost room near the Fort Condor entrance to get everyone's kills up so they learned all of their X.1 limits. (4/5 kills per battle with a measly 200-300 HP per enemy.) After that, I waited until I hit disc 3 and learned all their X.2 in the Crater. Get Hyper, equip some HP Plus so you're up to 9999HP and then manipulate the Dark Dragon to use Laser on one of your characters to bring their limits up to full in two turns. Go nuts. Wonder why "Doom of the Living" is not Yuffie's ultimate Limit. Weep.

Zane wrote:

Wonder why "Doom of the Living" is not Yuffie's ultimate Limit. Weep.

Actually yeah. There are some characters that are better to keep on previous levels - especially if you're facing a single target boss. Attack all one hit lvl 4's aren't too great.

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Zane wrote:

Wonder why "Doom of the Living" is not Yuffie's ultimate Limit. Weep.

Actually yeah. There are some characters that are better to keep on previous levels - especially if you're facing a single target boss. Attack all one hit lvl 4's aren't too great.

It's been so long since I've actually played the game and gave a shit about it that I decided to see as much as I can this time through. Beat Ruby and Emerald, get all the limits, earn a few master materia, etc. After checking out everyone's L4 Limits I'm kind of disappointed. Barret, Red, Yuffie and Cait Sith all have limits at earlier levels that I liked better than their L4's. Tifa's is just OK, Vincent's is a novelty and Aeris's is, well, a total waste of time. Considering I only used her when I absolutely had to, she didn't even hit level 2.1 before she left the party for good. Highwind is awesome, and now I know why every sucks the teat of Omnislash.

Zane wrote:

Vincent's is a novelty

Vincent's are kind of annoying as well because the first three have attacks with elemental aspects. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got Vincent in the mansion the first time and then used him and his first limit against the Materia Keeper. Doh! That was rich! At least the last one (Chaos, right?) is completely non elemental.

Zane wrote:

Aeris's is, well, a total waste of time.

Totally true. But I've done it (at least once in the past) just so I can say I did it. Actually, if your playing through the game and you're really anal about getting every item you can muster it's probably best to get it and not use it anyway.

I did my best to get everyone's limits as early as possible. This meant loading Aeris up with magic boosting equipment and materia, giving her Choco/Mog and letting her go crazy on the dudes in the forests where you first encounter Yuffie. Getting Great Gospel as soon as the buggy becomes available is pretty cash.

I got Picross 3d today from the used game store, I like games like this- I enjoyed the flash game stackopolis http://www.miniclip.com/games/stackopolis/en/ -managed to beat it all the way thru once.

This one is cool, seems well adapted to the stylus. Plus easy to pick up.

Last edited by Yotsuya (Feb 22, 2012)

Okay, so I'm playing Portrait of Ruin and the skeleton bartender kills me with a martini glass... WTF...?

Edit: Okay, bosses sure do a hell of a lot of damage...

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (Feb 22, 2012)

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/309021386

My matches are at 2:26 and 3:23. I'm the white guy in the Megaman shirt (I look zoned out because I'm wearing headphones).

Best part is after my first match, when the commentator says I look like Bret "The Hitman" Hart. First match was an upset (I was surprised I won, but the guy didn't kill my characters, so I hung around), second match was against Smooth Viper, a REALLY tough player from NY. I'm happy with how I played him.

So far I like the dual player system in in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, but am I the only one who feels Konami has struggled with the level design in these games since Symphony of the Night? There was something about Symphony that was so sleek and intellegent that always seems to be missing from the other metroidvanias.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really mean to "paint" Symphony as some kind of perfect standard (in general I don't ever feel the need to give the title in a boost in conversation) but when this is the topic my mind always comes back to it.

Also, speaking of Symphony, there's another question that's been bugging me about it. As far as understand it, Symphony is technically the follow-up to Rondo of Blood. If that's true, does anyone consider it a sequel in the general sense? I never really thought about that until recently. The Castlevania series has an odd relationship with the concept of sequels/prequels.

Story-wise it's a direct sequel. No technicalities about it.

And I think what's missing from the other Metroidvanias is a lot of little things that give SOTN character. Not just a lot of the enemy animation and other stuff which was never really at the same level, but stuff like the telescope, the boatman, the elevator...hell being able to jump under the library shop keeper. It really gives the game a sense of atmosphere, I think.

Four more demos:

Cubixx HD (PS3)
-Fairly lame Qix-inspired puzzle game taking place on the faces of a cube.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (3DS)
-The 3D effect is nice, but the controls are terrible without the Frankenstick. Frame rate's not too great either. Stick with the PS3 version.

Shank 2 (PS3)
-Reasonably fun beat 'em up.

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (PS3)
-I have no idea what's going on in this game, but it seems half-way decent.

Okay, I'm at the end of Portrait of Ruin and I'll just say the second to last fight is pure bullshit. With two f---ing guys running around the room doing over 100 pts of damage per hit and no invincibility in-between you can die in literally a second, especially if Drac turns into a cloud of bats. When he does that I can't activate the high jump fast enough. Don't think I'll be beating this one.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Don't think I'll be beating this one.

Last bosses in Metroivania games always come down to having the right equipment and magic equipped. Just use GameFAQs.

Three more demos:

Aya and the Cubes of Light (Wii)
-Lousy puzzle game that has you jumping around platform sections cut into cubes. Avoid.

The Simpsons Arcade Game (PS3)
-Nice trip down memory lane. Probably not worth the $10, but great to see it finally available after all these years.

Top Gun: Hard Lock (PS3)
-My nine-year old self would have died and gone to heaven had he got to play this, but my current self just thinks it's some mindless, shallow fun.

XLord007 wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Don't think I'll be beating this one.

Last bosses in Metroivania games always come down to having the right equipment and magic equipped. Just use GameFAQs.

Okay, I beat this but I totally cheesed my way through the fights. The layout of the last two bosses is wretched because the bosses can launch attacks when they're outside your point of view - the room is a at least two or three screens wide. Anyway, I got the ultimate dual attack and just spammed it while I healed.

Anyway, despite the clusterf--- that part is I want to point out that Portrait of Ruin does a lot of things right... especially when it comes to letting you know how close you are to having a 100% file. The various "guides" keep running tabs on various things like how many of the game's items you've uncovered. It goes without saying that's insanely handy for completionists and really eliminates having to look at a guide for the majority of the game. Very nice feature.

I'm pretty close to maxing a few things out but I just got Dawn of Sorrow in the mail today so I'm probably going to switch over to that. I played Aria of Sorrow on the GBA about a year ago so I'll be able to complete Soma's story.

Two more demos:

Motorstorm RC (PS3)
-It's like RC Pro-Am but in HD and with terrible controls.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (PS3)
-I'm not of fan of golf control schemes that require you to flip the stick back and forth to swing, but at least the graphics are pretty.

Slowly making my way through "Twilight Princess," FINALLY. As I semi-silently curse Capcom for not bringing Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2 to the U.S. Some months ago I ripped through Ghost Trick and Professor Layton and the Last Specter.

Hi guys, i am new as user,so i am here now to share with you my life project.
A  GAME/MUSIC project with my own arrangements of famous games like Chrono Cross Final Fantasy.
So I send you a proposal to you see my videos and let your opinion.
-
I ask you to SUBSCRIBE on my channel and my video LIKE if you think I deserve, this will be of great help to me, because youtube is my source of income, even if it is so small ...
-
I hope you enjoy it! ^ ^
-
> www.youtube.com/DarkRamyzer

I played through Journey (PS3) last night. I really liked Flower and I thought Flow was fair, so I had very high hopes for this one, especially in light of the reviews (93 on Metacritic right now). They say hype can kill anything, and boy did it do this one in. Journey is a beautiful game, but it's more an interactive piece of art than an actual game. As a player, you do very little, and what little you get to do is extremely simplistic and largely unsatisfying. I was also disappointed by the mandatory anonymous co-op which matches you to a variety of partners who are at the same point of the game you are (no more than one at a time though). I had 10 different partners during my two-hour trip, and I felt that they detract from the experience rather than add to it. I might play it again offline to see if it's more enjoyable without having to see other people's avatars running around. There are some breathtaking scenes (the last stage is particularly well done), but I can't really recommend the game at its current $15 asking price, especially since it's only two hours long.

I also played one more demo:

Shoot Many Robots (PS3)
-Contra clone with sub-optimal controls and a weapon/armor upgrade system. It's decent for what it is, but nothing special.

Splitting my time between Mass Effect 3 and Tales of Graces f. Both are very entertaining.

Just beat the first Metroid (NES) game - for the first time in my life ever - sometime this past week.

Back when I was in grade school, seeing anything else other than Brinstar was absolutely amazing. I could never get through Norfair, and I never even saw Kraid or Ridley, and the only reason I ever got to use the Wave Beam was because I used the Justin Bailey code - knowing that Samus was a girl was another interesting thing, but if you really look at it, Samus's armor had a sort of female sculpture to it, rather than a masculine one; kind of has that dynamic that slims at the waist, and it looked tight-fitting, too.

Finding the first Ice Beam used to be tricky; you had the bomb open the floor of one of the connecting bridges that had yellow lava at the bottom of the screen - the yellow lava being only an illusion - and climbing back up was always a chore, even after you got the Ice Beam.

Kraid's and Ridley's boss battle patterns were pretty simplistic, but actually rather difficult to break through; both had ton of hit points. Kraid was harder, even if you're supposed to tackle him first. He shoots 3 needles out of his chest, and tosses 2 spines out of his back, thrown at an angle at you. His needle projectiles deflect your own shots, but you can freeze them in mid air, along with his spines, and go in close, and plug him with missiles, bombs, or your Ice Beam. Ridley was easier, the fireballs he blew at you, you could just safely somersault through those with the Screw Attack. Again, your choice of bombs, missiles, or Ice Beam, but I thought he went down easier than Kraid. I also think Kraid was harder, because he could more easily land you in the yellow lava on either side of the room.

Ridley took me about 2-3 tries to beat him, Kraid, probably double that.

Having all of your Energy Tanks full definitely helps.

Mother Brain wasn't too hard; you just have to plug her with missiles, and avoid getting hit by those ring-shaped biological whosie-whatsits that fly about.

Well, that "Yellow Lava," I don't know if that's what it's actually supposed to be, but that's what I'm going to call it until I find out what it's really supposed to be - marshes, maybe?

Ending was nothing special - short paragraph of text, and Samus changes out of her armor; you see her in a different outfit depending on how quickly you played through the whole game, and there's 7 different outfits you can see, with Samus being in a white bikini being the result for the fastest possible time.

Other than that, I'm just stoked I finally completed this game, and finally saw the parts of the game that I never did before.

Last edited by Dartannian (Mar 31, 2012)

Latest Topics