Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: The STC "Stream of Consciousness" Thread!!

longhairmike wrote:

Stereo-Fencer Musashi has a pending release date sometime this summer...

I'm actually a big fan of the first Musashi game so I'll give you a hand for that one smile

P.S. The soundtrack for that game is really underrated IMO.

True Fact: Facebook and Twitter are the new form of spam.

Last edited by Dartannian (Apr 19, 2012)

So a woman knocked me over with one of those motorized carts today at work. I love those things *so* much, the people who ride them are just oh so careful with how they drive them....

Dartannian wrote:

True Fact: Facebook and Twitter are the new form of spam.

I don't know if they're the new form of spam, but their the newest way of showing off your dumbass purchases. My cousin's family bought this stupid dune buggy thing for some reason. My mother just had to show it to me when I couldn't give a less of a ----.

Facebook/Twitter + People with more money than brains = paint the wall with my brains....

True Fact: both Facebook AND Twitter have both been tremendous helps for me in establishing contacts in the game industry and meeting some awesome people whom I'd otherwise have never met.

Don't blame the apps if you're too dumb to use them to your advantage.

Amazingu wrote:

True Fact: both Facebook AND Twitter have both been tremendous helps for me in establishing contacts in the game industry and meeting some awesome people whom I'd otherwise have never met.

Well, good for you. Social Media might be a good way for certain people to network, but when it comes to serious, traditional professional jobs, they still pull resumes off all the traditional sites. LinkedIn, I actually see a purpose for, but Twitter might as well be called BrainFart.com. And you're probably best off creating your own website to advertise yourself as a professional, rather than post a free profile on Facebook: At least you can showcase your web design talent.

You go ahead and stroke Zuckerberg's ego if that makes you feel good.

Them's fightin' words, boy! You're obviously not getting the point I'm trying to make, so let me elaborate!

I'm actually a tech person, but having to open and maintain social media accounts to help a company huck its products for them seems...I don't know, what's the word? Excessive? Extraneous? Ineffective? USELESS? FILLING SEARCH ENGINE SEARCHES WITH DISPOSABLE RESULTS? Especially when they want you updating it once daily. Or thrice daily. Or every hour on the hour. Oh, I forgot to set my alarm for 4PM! TIME TO UPDATE!!

Every company with an official website also has a Facebook and Twitter pages to go along with it. Why isn't the official website sufficient?

If compartmentalizing the internet meant better quality control of information, I'd be all for it, but in practice, things are just becoming more convoluted. You don't have just one website for your company now, you have THREE, and you have to make sure their updates are synchronized with each other, or at the least, that they don't contradict each other.

I'd prefer to do a study to tell the company how social media does absolutely nothing to help them earn new customers, or maintain relations with existing customers, but that'd probably actually put me out of a job. I'd rather spend time beefing up the company's official website, so it's easier and more intuitive to browse through.

Why does marketing have to be absolutely so obnoxious?

Someone please tell me they understand the point I'm trying to make, rather than just presuming I don't know how to work with these apps?

Last edited by Dartannian (Apr 21, 2012)

i don't use FB, twatter, or a smartphone (i even have texting disabled on my cell)

but we do have a twitter account for our store (it's also embedded in a window on our website), and we post restock and preorder announcements on it.
it's like frickin' magic the way you see the users online suddenly jump from several dozen to several hundred.

i guess the old childhood nightmare where you would suddenly find yourself at school in your underwear has been replaced by the horror of leaving your cellphone at home.
I find today's kids' reliance on that stuff for their own sense of well being highly alarming.

Dartannian wrote:

Someone please tell me they understand the point I'm trying to make, rather than just presuming I don't know how to work with these apps?

I think I know where you're coming from. Personally, I dislike the fact that Twitter and Facebook has blurred the line between life at work and life at home; areas I think there should be some distance between.

Dartannian wrote:

Well, good for you. Social Media might be a good way for certain people to network, but when it comes to serious, traditional professional jobs, they still pull resumes off all the traditional sites. LinkedIn, I actually see a purpose for, but Twitter might as well be called BrainFart.com. And you're probably best off creating your own website to advertise yourself as a professional, rather than post a free profile on Facebook: At least you can showcase your web design talent.

Oh no, I'm not using it for job hunting! At least, not directly. I don't post my resume on there or try to sell myself or anything. I know that traditional methods are much better for that.
I meant that I got to know people on a personal level, and actually got to meet them in private through Twitter. It's a good place for making friends in high places, actually, which, indirectly, can help you out in the long run.

LinkedIn, on the other hand, I've received NOTHING but spam from, and I hear the same from other people.

Dartannian wrote:

I'm actually a tech person, but having to open and maintain social media accounts to help a company huck its products for them seems...I don't know, what's the word? Excessive? Extraneous? Ineffective? USELESS? FILLING SEARCH ENGINE SEARCHES WITH DISPOSABLE RESULTS? Especially when they want you updating it once daily. Or thrice daily. Or every hour on the hour. Oh, I forgot to set my alarm for 4PM! TIME TO UPDATE!!

If you have a technical job and this is the least of your worries consider yourself luckly and kindly shut up. There are many people who would love to be in your position in this market.

when daytime highs get to 100+,, i like to be out on the trails by 6am
http://youtu.be/t1x49BND_jA?hd=1

Amazingu wrote:

Care to share your Twitter handle? Happy to follow.

XLord007 wrote:

Sure, it's @Zolbrod
smile

Re: FFIII / VI: Why the hell does Kefka attack your airship with a crane? Must be one tall crane, to reach that high. He could just as easily summon Espers and blow you out of the sky that way.

P.S. It's interesting, in FFVI / III finding out that some human characters were always Espers all along.

Last edited by Dartannian (Apr 23, 2012)

Amazingu wrote:
XLord007 wrote:

Sure, it's @Zolbrod
smile

Followed and added you to my slowly growing list of STC Members on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Incisive_D/stc-members

Tim Berners-Lee stated in Scientific American that when he invented the web (not the internet), he never intended for websites like Facebook to exist. It's a "gated" community.

I'm very thankful that I decided to stop using Facebook, back in the summer of 2010. I found myself using it frequently and thinking about using it when I was not using it. It was crowding my life, leaving little time for other things. Of course, for some people, Facebook is their "thing", so it's no problem for them.

I rather like the idea of Google Wave (not sure if it ever came to be) where everyone can see what you're typing in real time. It's more akin to real life (speech does not pile up in your mouth and wait for you to say "send").

Jodo Kast wrote:

I rather like the idea of Google Wave (not sure if it ever came to be)

It came and went. Never found an audience.

Jodo Kast wrote:

(speech does not pile up in your mouth and wait for you to say "send").

Man, there are times I wish it did, though.

Also, some kind of edit function that deletes what you really said.

Not too happy about having to install a second browser on my computer because Google had to screw around with Blogger.

I recently read the best short story I have ever read (out of nearly 500):

"E for Effort" by T. L. Sherred

It was written in 1947 but was not collected (put into book form with other stories) until 1972. Sherred only wrote 5 stories in total and one novel, so his output was slim. But he's like Ted Chiang in the sense that his  writing is very polished.

If you've read the novel "The Light of Other Days", then you've been exposed to the concept. "E for Effort" is much more powerful and has the impact of a C. M. Kornbluth story.

i had my most painful bike crash ever,,, but at least the cam was on... my whole right arm looks like it got humped by an ocelot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5EIY1XQng&hd=1

In retrospect, I should probably actually be glad that Facebook exists, much less that people even use it.

If it wasn't for Facebook, I wouldn't know that certain people are complete and total unapologetic backstabbing whores.

Facebook helps you qualify a relationship: Between whether or not they're willing to allow you access to their Facebook page, and what content they're willing to let you access. Not to mention, if they forgot to block you from certain content.

Amazing, the info people share on Facebook. They just throw it right out there. Teh drunkeness is not the best time to be blogging, photoing, or filming yourself.

Zuckerberg probably only really invented the site just so he could spy on people, and only figured out how to profit from it later.

More open and connected indeed. Well, certainly open, I don't know how connected, though.

I don't use Facebook to add anonymous people that I never talk to. If anything, I use it to parse out my "real" real life friends from false ones who're just looking to get something out of me, and nothing more.

Why, yes, I am the embittered, reigning king of negativity. Glad you noticed. I should probably be ashamed to be complaining this much, but really, somehow, I feel enlightened, like a serious light bulb just lit up above my head. Huh. That ceiling lamp kind of glitches on and off like that, unexpectedly.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 11, 2012)

Jodo Kast wrote:

I recently read the best short story I have ever read (out of nearly 500):

"E for Effort" by T. L. Sherred

i like "C is for Cookie"

Pulling out eyelashes is not a subject that comes up too often in normal conversation. But, believe it or not, there are many recovery people that do pull out their eyelashes. This compulsion is not just for children either; many adults also have this problem. Many of our habits do stem from stress or another feeling of emotion. In fact, many people pull their own hair out of their head which makes pulling out your eyelashes seem like child's play.

I got shock when I looked at the front page of the paper this morning. Looks like my uncle won't have to worry about losing his house to the bank. It seems the authorities will be giving him a new home...

...people and drugs. I just don't get it?

Actually, I shouldn't say that - I do know why he did what he did but I hardly condone it... financial distress caused from living beyond your means will make you do things you wouldn't normally do.

Oh, and my aunt. She was like "I am SO embarrassed, people were looking at me all day because they knew I was his sister." Uh, no lady. His last name is your maiden name; unless you've told people your maiden name how are they going to make the connection? I on the other hand share his last name and I AM NOT worrying about it. He is he and I am I. I've had nothing to do with the man for most of my life and he's not a reflection of me. Just like that time my idiot cousin "unwittingly" disposed of evidence for another criminal - his problem, not mine.