Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

A friend who was visiting dropped off Catherine, so I'm checking it out.  I'm only on day 3 so far, but I can see why there was so much discussion of the game before.

^Catherine is an awesome game! Loved it.  I got one of the best endings from Catherine, that I have seen from a game in a very long time.

Binary Domain

finished this solid third person shooter made by the Yakuza team. buy if you enjoy wrecking small and gigantic robots. it's really good.

Still playing Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. I absolutely love this game despite its flaws of which there are MANY. I'm on the home stretch of finishing the bonus material and wrapping up work on my FAQ.

On related note, can I ask what is up with J-RPG developers and 100+ level dungeons? Why do they think this is entertaining? The Abyss in Wild Arms 3 was one of the worst I've come across and it wasn't much better Alter code:F. Then there was the 255 level Sphere Company building in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Cripes!

In 4 Heroes at least they throw you a bone while going through these things. Yeah, it's still not too exciting but you can leave and save your progress every ten floors. Additionally, there's a trick to reset the treasure chests on the 70 and 90th floors where you only have to redo ten floors instead of the whole tower : )

Ashley Winchester wrote:

On related note, can I ask what is up with J-RPG developers and 100+ level dungeons? Why do they think this is entertaining? The Abyss in Wild Arms 3 was one of the worst I've come across and it wasn't much better Alter code:F. Then there was the 255 level Sphere Company building in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Cripes!

Man, that brings back memories of the Old Cave in Lufia 2.
Good times.

Amazingu wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Man, that brings back memories of the Old Cave in Lufia 2.
Good times.

Or the Chrysler Building in Parasite Eve.

Idolores wrote:

Or the Chrysler Building in Parasite Eve.

but that one at least wasn't a reoccurring deathwish as long as you played thru the game 3-4 times (building up your weapon/armor) before going in.

it was a bummer though that you could only go thru the chrystler building once
after you cleared it, it was cleared on all following +games

Last edited by longhairmike (May 2, 2012)

or the Pit of 100 Trials in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year door.  And also in Super Paper Mario (where there are two of them! and the second one you have to do TWICE if you want to clear it)  What a bitch of a dungeon. bleah

Last edited by James O (May 2, 2012)

PerfectZer0 wrote:

^Catherine is an awesome game! Loved it.  I got one of the best endings from Catherine, that I have seen from a game in a very long time.

You know, when this came out I was looking at it. I was interested but I haven't had much luck getting around to ANY PS3 games despite having four of them. Three of them (Uncharted 2, Dead Space, Dead Space) were gifts and while I know my brother-in-law meant well I don't think I'll ever get into either Dead Space. The last one - the one I purchased myself - was Star Ocean: The Last Hope but I really need to get away from PRGs for awhile since I've but so much time into them recently.

So to do that I picked New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. As soon as I'm done with the last tower in 4 Heroes I plan on it and enjoying something a little less involving.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Three of them (Uncharted 2, Dead Space, Dead Space) were gifts and while I know my brother-in-law meant well I don't think I'll ever get into either Dead Space. The last one - the one I purchased myself - was Star Ocean: The Last Hope but I really need to get away from PRGs for awhile since I've but so much time into them recently.

I keep meaning to get back to Dead Space but I find myself distracted by other things. It's a fun game, though. As for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, I'd dodge it more because it's one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. Battle system isn't bad but to enjoy it, you have to endure godawful writing, characters and voice acting.

Wanderer wrote:

As for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, I'd dodge it more because it's one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. Battle system isn't bad but to enjoy it, you have to endure godawful writing, characters and voice acting.

I heard the English voice acting was bad (which is why I wanted the PS3 International version so I could switch to the Japanese dub when playing) but I really hadn't heard much beyond that. That said, unlike most RPGs I think things like story and writing take a little more of back seat in Star Ocean games; combat has always been the series' bread and butter IMO and I've come to expect that.

But speaking of Star Ocean/writing/voice acting, has anyone checked out Second Evolution on the PSP? At first I was kind of pleased with the new translation and VA but the further I got the less liked it. All the characters really came off as bratty to me which really didn't seem to be the case when I played it on the PS1 all those years ago. Well, I asked my friend about that and he said they were always bratty but it just wasn't as apparent the first time around because of the translation.

Anyway, I still need to tackle that and First Departure at some point.

longhairmike wrote:
Dartannian wrote:

However, something about FFVIII is always going to strike me as strange. There's almost no purpose to the towns.

kinda like Orlando or Detroit.

I like to think of Detroit as a real-life Midgar. There's a serious contrast between the high-class and functional parts of the city versus the defunct parts of the city.

No Mako Reactors, though.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 3, 2012)

Just bought King of Fighters XIII. Went to a major tournament down in Virginia and people were really hype for that game. First time I've seen people actually give a crap about an SNK game.

Anyway, it looks solid, just need to get the basics down. I'm probably going to run some combination of Andy, Terry, Kula, EX Kyo, Kim and Raiden.

Okay, so I booted up New Super Mario Bros and the first thing that struck me was the controls. They seem a little loose to me. I know that kind of plays into the look of the game but I guess I'm thinking back to how games like Mario 3 and World handle.

Some more demos:

The Walking Dead (PS3)
-Mechanically improved over previous Telltale efforts, The Walking Dead is enjoyable, but still not quite as refined as it could be. At least the story and characters are well done and draw you in.

Gears of War 3 (360)
-I enjoyed the first half of the demo where I got to play as Cole. As soon as Marcus showed up, I lost pretty much all interest.

Ninja Blade (360)
-Poor man's Ninja Gaiden.

Crush3D (3DS)
-A master class in how to take a great idea and make it unbelievably boring.

Mutant Mudds (3DS)
-Mutant Mudds looks and sounds great. Plays pretty well too, but be prepared for some old school trial and error stuff.

Nintendogs + Cats (3DS)
-Very cute and soothing. I was particularly impressed with the animation of the animals.

Pyramids (3DS)
-Puzzle platforming at its dullest.

Right now I'm juggling three games -

Mortal Kombat (Vita). The graphics are disgracefully poor, especially the washed-out PSP-quality character models. But beyond that, what a game. A really solid fighter that far exceeds my expectations. The single player story mode is easily the best story mode I have ever encountered in a fighting game and, for me, it makes all the difference. It really draws me into the game. I'm very impressed, in a way I really didn't think I would be with a Mortal Kombat game. Just a shame the Vita version looks so poor.

Bar Oasis 1.5 (iOS). This is a mini Bar Oasis story set between the first and the upcoming sequel and it's the same idea. The gameplay is about mixing cocktails but the real draw is the story. There's something very simple and yet very grown-up about it (even when the characters are being childish) as the story is really just about character relationships. If you didn't play the first, this side story is free and would be worth a try.

Avernum Escape From The Pit (iOS). This is an iPad-only RPG. Old Western PC style. I'm really enjoying it. You are exiled to the underground realm of Avernum and have to make a new life for yourself as a warrior, adventure, whatever. You have a party of four characters and go places and gather missions and so on. Like one of those Elder Scrolls games only with much more basic graphics. It's good.

Beat Mass Effect 3. Great game, crappy ending. But we all knew that. wink

Recently, I bought the first chapter of the Walking Dead (as I greatly enjoyed the demo) and the Witcher 2, which I look forward to starting this evening.

I was going to make this post last night but kind of backed out... I didn't want to come off as an ass. I think maybe I can do that a little better tonight.

Anyway, I've been playing New Super Mario Bros on the DS and something has been bugging me. Actually, it was bugging me before I bought the game as was looking at a used copy. Does anyone else get the feeling that this game is a little overpriced at this point in its history? This hit me the other night when I was loading my game and there on the title screen sat the words Nintendo 2006. I've played other games (Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) that are newer yet I only paid $20 for them. Thing is, given how much I got out of those games I actually would pay $35 for those games if I had known what I know now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly pissed at spending $35 on a game that very clearly should be $20 at this point as I was able to support a business I have a significant amount of loyalty towards but I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't say I feel a bit gypped. However, a lot of that is my fault as could have purchased the game used for $22; I didn't because I had the obsessive compulsive desire to have the game come in its original case.

Further compounding this whole situation is Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins for the original gameboy. I purchased this for a measly $6 and had an absolute blast. I can't really say the same for New Super Mario Bros even though I do like the shades of Super Mario World they mixed in.

Anyway, sry for going on. I guess I just needed to get that off my chest... and I'm sure everyone is sick of me talking about The 4 Heroes of Light but damn that game just worked out for me....

Jett Rocket (WiiWare) - 3D platformer in the vein of Super Mario 64. 3 regions, 4 levels each, for a total 12 full-length platforming levels, which may last you anywhere between 5-10 hours depending upon how challenging you find the game. And it all costs $10.

This short little game, and arguably overpriced for the amount of content, which only lasted me about the course of 3 days...I've found to be one of the most fulfilling "dishes" in awhile, aside from my recent newly found obsession with games on Steam. Also, Final Fantasy II on the SNES. But I digress.

There's absolutely nothing new about this game that hasn't been done before. The fact that you have a jetpack - that basically functions as an extended double jump - is the game's selling point. There are only 3 regions: Tropical islands, the Arctic Circle, and the jungle, only 4 levels each, with the last level of each having a boss battle at the end of it.

Your protagonist looks and sounds like a seven years-old little boy, and his best friend is a talking dolphin.

But goddamn it, did I ever derive more enjoyment out of it than I probably should've. There's something that was endearing about it. It has that dreamy quality that's characteristic of certain Ubisoft platformers  whose names escape me right now.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Anyway, I've been playing New Super Mario Bros on the DS and something has been bugging me. Actually, it was bugging me before I bought the game as was looking at a used copy. Does anyone else get the feeling that this game is a little overpriced at this point in its history? This hit me the other night when I was loading my game and there on the title screen sat the words Nintendo 2006. I've played other games (Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) that are newer yet I only paid $20 for them. Thing is, given how much I got out of those games I actually would pay $35 for those games if I had known what I know now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly pissed at spending $35 on a game that very clearly should be $20 at this point as I was able to support a business I have a significant amount of loyalty towards but I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't say I feel a bit gypped. However, a lot of that is my fault as could have purchased the game used for $22; I didn't because I had the obsessive compulsive desire to have the game come in its original case.

I'll have to admit, my relationship with gaming started to be an abusive one when I bought games brand new, only for them to collapse to $20 after 3 months or so. That started in about 2004, and was a big reason why I stopped collecting for awhile.

However, there have also been games that I missed out on because I insisted on what for price collapses that never happened, especially for games that I didn't know were limited production runs.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 7, 2012)

Nintendo 1st party games hold their price, because they sell at those prices. That's all there is to it.

Hell, Mario Kart DS was still $35 last time I looked.

TerraEpon wrote:

Nintendo 1st party games hold their price, because they sell at those prices. That's all there is to it.

No wonder I rarely buy Nintendo's first party games...

Ashley Winchester wrote:
TerraEpon wrote:

No wonder I rarely buy Nintendo's first party games...

Well, I got Kirby's Epic Yarn brand new for $20, maybe $25 just recently, off of Amazon.com, and it wasn't a bootleg!
Someone just wanted to get rid of it, I guess.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland, I was bored and out of everything else, so I went ahead and splurged the full price on it. Short game, yes, lasted me the course of 3 days or so, but I regret nothing.

Also, Sin & Punishment 2 goes for dirt cheap on Amazon, even if they still ask $50 for it in store, which it really isn't worth.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 8, 2012)

P.S. I liked it back when we didn't have to switch between 7 different controllers, depending upon the game we wanted to play (I'm looking at YOOOUUU, Nintendo Wii).

Glad I got that off my chest now. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 8, 2012)

i finally finished the Chrono Trigger DS quest that i started at Jury duty back in sept 2009.
it seemed awfully easy to level up on the DS version,, my HP and MP were almost maxed with levels in the mid 50s.. it took me about 30 hours.
is this because the DS version gives experience even to the characters you're not currently using?

of course i was relieved to finally be done with it,, only to find out that there are new bonus areas on the plus game.. m'f'er

longhairmike wrote:

i finally finished the Chrono Trigger DS

You know, I'm not really a big fan of a Chrono Trigger. However, a few playthroughs of Chrono Cross really showed me why people like the first game wink

Latest Topics