Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: So what're you playing nowadays?

longhairmike wrote:

i finally finished the Chrono Trigger DS quest that i started at Jury duty back in sept 2009.
it seemed awfully easy to level up on the DS version,, my HP and MP were almost maxed with levels in the mid 50s.. it took me about 30 hours.
is this because the DS version gives experience even to the characters you're not currently using?

Several charachters hit their max HP and MP pretty fast in Chrono Trigger, I don't think the DS version has any structural differences.

Members that are not in your party received XP in the SNES version as well, albeit something like 1/2 or 2/3 of the people that do participate in battle.

More demos:

DiRT Showdown (360)
-Boring destruction derby racer.

Dragon's Dogma (360)
-The demo doesn't let you do much, and what it does let you do is pretty dull. No thanks.

FIFA Street (360)
-Pretty decent for what it is.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360)
-Really enjoyed this one. The combat is satisfying, and the world feels great. As similar demos go, it's a lot more fun than Fable III and Dragon's Dogma.

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (360)
-I'm not sure how many times Travelers' Tales will be able to get away with making the same game over and over, but this one is actually kind of fun, so more power to 'em I guess.

Mass Effect 3 (360)
-This was an interesting demo. It demonstrates how good Bioware is at storytelling while simultaneously revealing how bad they are at making engaging gameplay.

XLord007 wrote:

More demos:

Mass Effect 3 (360)
-This was an interesting demo. It demonstrates how good Bioware is at storytelling while simultaneously revealing how bad they are at making engaging gameplay.

Honestly, I wouldn't judge the game by that demo. It's terrible.

Wanderer wrote:
XLord007 wrote:

More demos:

Mass Effect 3 (360)

Honestly, I wouldn't judge the game by that demo. It's terrible.

Absolutely.

I'm a JRPG man at heart, but the Mass Effect series is fantastic.
I'd argue it's the closest thing to a JRPG the West has ever made, actually.

Amazingu wrote:

I thought of Septerra Core while I read that.

Playing Wario World (GC). Will put up a review of the game soon enough.

Re: Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Dear Magolor, your homeland is a hellish, infernal nightmare world.

Game reminds me of Kirby Superstar; controls a lot alike, and has many of the same Kirby abilities that a lot of the other games don't (e.g., Fighter, Ninja), with about 4 that were added just for this game (Whip, Spear, Leaf, Water) - which didn't seem so great first time around, but if you take the time to get used to them and learn them, they can be pretty useful.

Atmosphere of the game also seems kind of dark, bleak, and somber, especially when you start getting to the later levels in the game.

Nintendo seems obsessed with themes surrounding alternate dimensions as of late: First it was in Super Paper Mario, now it's this game, and other games between and since after.

They spam all your usual biomes: Grasslands, desert, ocean, tundra, urban wastelands, volcanoes...

Also: "Nutty Noon?"

I know that Nintendo likes to make the names of the regions of Dreamland parallelistic, and also be food-themed, but "Nutty Noon?" It's a tower that reaches so far into the sky, that you're actually able to observe the rotation of the planet from high up. The tower's still connected to the planet, so I don't know how you could observe planetary rotation relative to the tower when it's still based on that same planet, but whatever (Heck, have you ever even been able to observe planetary rotation when flying high up in an airplane?)

Still, they could've given it a better name, like...how's about...Toffee Tower? Both words start with "T," and it is food-related! Also: Egg Engines? Dangerous Dinner? They were really strapped for ideas in naming places in this game; either that, or they just didn't care.

Man, do I love me some old-fashioned side-scrollers. I paid the full $50 on this game, finished it 100% over the course of 3 days, and do not regret it at all. It's one of those games I can pop in really quickly, and have enough time to play through at least one of the worlds between the time I get home from work, and the time I should get to bed.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 13, 2012)

You know speaking of Kirby I've always wanted to play Kirby's Dream Land 2 on the Game Boy. I really like the original and every other Kirby game I've played has failed to stack up to it (but then I haven't played many others...)

Dartannian wrote:

Still, they could've given it a better name, like...how's about...Toffee Tower? Both words start with "T," and it is food-related! Also: Egg Engines? Dangerous Dinner? They were really strapped for ideas in naming places in this game; either that, or they just didn't care.

I don't know, I kind of like themes like this. Almost everything in Brave Fencer Musashi was food or drink related and I thought it was a hoot.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

You know speaking of Kirby I've always wanted to play Kirby's Dream Land 2 on the Game Boy. I really like the original and every other Kirby game I've played has failed to stack up to it (but then I haven't played many others...)

Kirby's Dream Land 2 is okay; what they added in that game were 3 animal friends that you can ride, and who also enhance your equipped special ability - those animal friends returned in Kirby's Dream Land 3 with 3 more animal friends, for a total of 6.

Rick the hamster can walk easily on desert sand (land mammal), Coo the owl can fly through fierce gusts that would otherwise push you back, and Kine the fish can swim quickly in water, is able to swim against ocean currents, and can jump around on land and survive out of water. Each animal friend gives you a different variation on each special ability, giving you the opportunity to mix-and-match and experiment with different special abilities for different situations.

The structure of Kirby's Dream Land 2 is a lot similar to Kirby's Adventure: You have different regions subdivided into other levels, and you can repeat each level however many time you desire; each region has a hidden Rainbow Drop in one of its levels; collect all 7, and you unlock the true final boss battle, and the true ending after it.

I'd totally go for Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dream Land 3 if you haven't already.

Kirby 64 is okay, but struck me as an obligatory title, since they hadn't released a main series Kirby title in awhile; in Kirby 64, you can combine any 2 special abilities at once in order to create a different or more powerful ability.

If you can't tell, Kirby's one of my favorite Nintendo characters and series; the games are easy, yes, but they're enjoyable to play, and you can turn any of them on for quick, easy enjoyment.

A game like Double Dragon or Ninja Gaiden, I feel like I have to do stretches before beginning, because those games run you through the wringer, and JRPGs just tax my patience.

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Dartannian wrote:

I don't know, I kind of like themes like this. Almost everything in Brave Fencer Musashi was food or drink related and I thought it was a hoot.

Not saying I had a problem with the theme itself, it's just some of the names they came up with within that restriction.

If someone said "Nutty Noon," I think the last thing on your mind would be that of an atmosphere-breaching world tower. And what's "Egg Engines" about? Engines made of eggs? The structural integrity of eggs is anything but sturdy, much less metallic, unless they have mercury in them, or somethin.

Last edited by Dartannian (May 13, 2012)

I have fond memories playing the pinball GB Kirby game. That one actually had difficulty from my remembrance. The Kirby franchise really deserves a challenging game. I'm sure someone at Nintendo has had a desire to make a sadistically hard Kirby game. Perhaps have it as an unlockable or an easter egg.

Idolores wrote:
Amazingu wrote:

I thought of Septerra Core while I read that.

Second place goes to Anachronox. wink

God of War: Chains of Olympus

good little game. not overly ambitious, but a smooth ride.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

felt like a full-fledged numbered title. had too many invincible frames on a couple of moves, which made the game easier than it should have been on hard. but i enjoyed this one more than part III from the gameplay perspective.

Picked up Mini Ninjas for 360. I enjoyed the PS3 demo I played many years ago, so I finally decided to pick it up. I love the art style and the gameplay is very solid, but there's not much story and little motivation to keep moving forward. I don't think it's supposed to be terribly long, so I'll keep at it for now.

I tried Max Payne 3 (360) at a friend's house. Like earlier games in the series, the story is much better than the gameplay, but the gameplay is solid. New additions are a cover mechanic, last chance mechanic, and some close up views of kill shots. It's enjoyable, and I may very well pick it up when it drops to $30 or less.

After months of slowly making my way through Skyward Sword (and 51 hours), I've finally made it to the final boss. I'm not sure why, as I hated the majority of the game, with its endless fetch quests and recycled locations. Hopefully I'll beat it tonight and then gleefully sell it.

Two more demos:

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II (PS3)
-Didn't enjoy this one very much. Sonic Generations is a lot more fun.

Batman: Arkham City (PS3)
-Interior gameplay is just as enjoyable as in Arkham Asylum, but I can't say I'm fan of the open world exterior stuff, at least not what was in the demo. I'll probably still buy the Game of the Year Edition once it gets cheap though.

It's been nostalgia week for me. I started with Super Mario Brothers 3, which I breezed through until World 5, which started to kick my ass. And this remained until Bowser, who I killed as small Mario with one life remaining. I haven't decided whether the game has always been this difficult or or I'm just getting rusty with age. It didn't help that I vowed to beat EVERY level, without warping.

Right now, I'm finishing up Super Mario World (going through every level and getting every secret) and I'd say as a whole, it's easier than the previous game. A few castles have given me major issues (especially the two with the goddamned snake platform above the lava) but having a power-up in reserve lowers the difficulty and the environments don't seem as tough.

Next up will be Yoshi's Island, which I feel is one of the best platformers ever made. This'll be a joy rediscovering it.

Wanderer wrote:

...is one of the best platformers ever made.

If not THE best platformer ever made.

XLord007 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

...is one of the best platformers ever made.

If not THE best platformer ever made.

I personally think it is (at least of the 2D genre). I just wanted to leave some wiggle room. wink

(Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite 3D platformer.)

Wanderer wrote:

I can't decide between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. I love them both so much, and I almost view them as one huge two part game.

XLord007 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

I can't decide between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. I love them both so much, and I almost view them as one huge two part game.

I almost flipped a coin. wink I enjoyed both games equally but decided that since the first game has the better music, it got my pick. wink

(That's also very debatable.)

Just ordered Xenoblade (Wii) directly from Nintendo; it's probably 1 of the last 2 Wii games I'll ever want to buy; ended up spending $10 more than expected, but Nintendo's really the only outlet to get it from, now.

Donkey Kong Country Returns, I'll probably wait for around Christmas time, see if the price drops off at all; enjoyed a romp through of the previous SNES games recently, and I watched footage of the game, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Absolutely NO inkling to toss cash on either New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Mario Galaxy 2; the former seems like a pale imitation of SMB3, and SMG2...is the same game as the first; might as well just stick with the first.

I've been hearing people railing Legend of Zelda ~ Skyward Sword for one reason, or another, most notably a game breaking glitch that Nintendo had to release a patch for. Other people have been just saying that it's really boring and uninteresting to play.

Saw a 2-hour Let's Play! of The Last Story, and all the poorly-done cliches they hit just made me face palm too much. Also, apparently, you don't even need to press the button to attack; you just approach the enemy, and you attack automatically. I like having button-mashing in my hack n' slash action RPG, thank you. In other words, probably won't bother with that, either, unless I'm that bored, don't have any other game to play, and feel like I can spend the money without bankrupting myself.

Steam rocks my world. Without it, I'd just be playing the same NES and SNES over and over again; I've actually managed to beat quite a few titles that I never was able to before.

From seeing numerous ROM hacks (but not actually having played one yet), I'd like to learn programming, if only so I can take my favorite NES and SNES games, create ROM hacks, and design my own levels, etc.

I'd like to create an RPG using the graphics from Final Fantasy II (SNES) or Secret of Mana (SNES). The Secret of Mana game I'd create would be about the world during the time that Mana was used widely as a power source, and the war that threatened the destruction of the world.

Speaking of Steam, I've come across 3 games that remind me a lot of the Atelier Iris series, not just from the anime look, but to the bright, cheerful fantasy medieval visuals and cheerful music; login into Steam, and you'll be able to download very generous demos of each game:

Chantelise ~ A Tale of Two Sisters: 3D action RPG; character sprites are 2D cel-shaded against 3D environments; camera centers around your character. Pretty basic hack n' slash mechanics. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70420/?snr=1_5_9__300)

Fortune Summoners: Pretty basic action RPG; controls might prove to be a little dodgy, seems to be a delay between the time you launch an attack, and recover from it, but the other aesthetics of the game make me willing to put up with it. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/20351 … 1_5_9__300)

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale: Top-down view, action RPG. Run a shop to pay off the family debt, obtain merchandise by trading and buying in town, or hiring adventurers to raid dungeons for you (who you play as while in the dungeon). This one came personally recommended from a friend, and I saw an internet review about it (if I could only remember where I saw that). (http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/)

I'm basically going to playthrough each demo for as long as it lets me, before buying the full version, but I've enjoyed each game so far.

Last edited by Dartannian (Jun 5, 2012)

Welcome to micmarketplace.com online wholesale platform, the leading China wholesale fast trading marketplace connecting millions of online bargain hunters from around the world with factory-direct China wholesale deals. micmarketplace.com offers over 10 million high quality products from more than 100,000 dedicated Chinese wholesalers and manufacturers. Our Escrow payment processes and fast global delivery guarantee you a great China wholesale shopping experience. Tradeic is also the best Wholesale Closeouts and Liquidations Source for bulk overstocks supplies and largest supplier for wholesale and resell for Ebay, Retail Stores, and Flea Markets.
baby einstein dvd wholesale
wholesale baby dvds
wholesale Tony Horton 10 minute
disney dvds wholesale
wholesale bose headphones
wholesale monster headphones

Dartannian wrote:

Saw a 2-hour Let's Play! of The Last Story, and all the poorly-done cliches they hit just made me face palm too much. Also, apparently, you don't even need to press the button to attack; you just approach the enemy, and you attack automatically. I like having button-mashing in my hack n' slash action RPG, thank you. In other words, probably won't bother with that, either, unless I'm that bored, don't have any other game to play, and feel like I can spend the money without bankrupting myself.

That really doesn't make me feel good about my paid-in-full preorder.