Please log in or register for the best forum experience.

Re: The size/nicheness of the Video Game Music market (or the lack of it)

Yotsuya wrote:

And champ may 'overprice' out of print albums, but a lot of forum members ask for similar prices for rare stuff!! Also champ does list new releases at their sticker price. Releases like Gyakuten Saiban soundbox that are hard to get over here, he isn't gouging on.

True, not ALL of his soundtracks are in the range of ridiculousness, but 70% of what I scanned through was.

If forum members here tried posting stuff with those prices, people would be jumping down their throats. I've seen it happen before.

Yotsuya wrote:
layzee wrote:

(Oh wait, it's a digital download only, not a CD release. Well I'll just leave the above intact anyway since I typed it out already and those are still valid points.)

No, Live A Live is a CD reprint. I got my copy!

Oh my mistake, I did a search for "Live A Live Original Sound Version" on vgmdb and confused the 2008 digital release as the 2012 CD one, as well as forgetting that it got renamed into "Original Soundtrack".

Yotsuya wrote:

And champ may 'overprice' out of print albums, but a lot of forum members ask for similar prices for rare stuff!!

Yes they do, and at the end of the day I laugh at them. Really, like I'm going to give someone $140 for the Rockman DASH Soundtrack.

There's a difference between a collector and a business man and it doesn't much/long to see the difference. Yeah, yeah blah blah blah they're free to list it at what ever they want but to be honest I'm gonna buy from the person who has a sense of sanity rather than the guy that's just trying to line his pockets.

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (May 10, 2012)

i, for one, WILL be purchasing the Live A Live reprint,, even though i've had a cd-r of it for like a decade. same with terranigma or rudra no hihou if they get reprinted.

digital be damned,, i want to thumb thru a booklet so i can glance over completely unreadable (to me) liner notes and hopefully see some in-game screen shots or artist renditions of characters.

Have to agree on accounts of picking up older stuff that's already been out awhile; the dearth/shortage of new releases just gives me time to pay attention to stuff I've missed.

Also: Anime soundtracks. Not playing games gives me time to catch up on anime. The vocal themes are always stand out, but many anime, the instrumental tracks in the background can be quite good, too. Soul Eater struck me as having a real good soundtrack; some of the stuff reminded me of tracks from the Persona 3 and 4 games.

Also also: Mainstream music that isn't MTV tripe. Don't want to sound like some kind of pretentious hipster - because those people annoy me too - but there's just so much pop music out there was just made to cash in on people's underdeveloped sense of good music, and who're swayed so easily by marketing.

One of the biggest shocks of my life occurred in 1999, when I discovered this website. Game Music Online and VGMdb did not yet exist, and I certainly didn't know about JGML. There was a large (searchable) list of game music albums here, and I remember being particularly stunned at seeing Double Dragon II. My curiosity was piqued and I had to find out more (it took me several years to find DDII in mp3 format and a while longer still to find the actual disc). I next started to read the reviews and learned about these game series called "Ys" and "Final Fantasy", which I never paid any attention to from 1987-1999.

I want to stress that when I first found out about game music, it was not well known which albums contained arranged music. As an example, I had no idea what was on the Double Dragon II album. There were no reviews, and it wasn't until I browsed Quasi's server that I heard mp3 files. And it was arranged!

This hobby has few mysteries left. Because of VGMdb, most of these albums are classified. Newcomers are on easy street when it comes to information. I did not have such luxuries when I first started. I did a lot of work and spent a lot of money trying to understand video game music.

I am more filled with thoughts of gratitude that this market exists, rather than thinking about how to define it. Whatever this market is, it perfectly fit my personality type, since much of it was unknown.

Jodo, your account there is so incredibly in line with my own history with this site and game music in general (ignoring the Double Dragon part!).  ESPECIALLY this part:

Jodo Kast wrote:

I am more filled with thoughts of gratitude that this market exists, rather than thinking about how to define it. Whatever this market is, it perfectly fit my personality type, since much of it was unknown.

Well said, sir.  Well said.

The way I see things:
The market is niche. For every official release of a game in some form there are like 10 games never officially accounted for and dropping quickly into obscurity after the release.
The audience is niche. Gaming the way we think of it is not mainstream. The amount of people remembering the music of that is small. The part of them actually remembering it fondly enough to actively want to hear it again is even smaller. Then those trying to get that music for being able to play it as stand alone music, and being lucky that its readily available through official channels (and not some huge jumps like importing from a foreign website) are the fewest.
The music is niche. Outside of very few overplayed music pieces which get pushed through plenty one-way media (like TV and radio) through the backing of rich corporations there is a lot of music being made that never leaves local obscurity. There are a lot of musicians that do new music all the time, much of which instantly dropping into obscurity again. In a way game music composers pretty well off, they often get paid with rather secure jobs like employees and their music is less likely to eternally fade into obscurity by being combined (and as thus intricately linked) with other media and entertainment.

Something I'd like to note: it's absolutely-useless to call the game music market a "niche" market, relative to the pop music market. Why? Simple: every other music market is practically a niche compared to the pop music market anyway, which just makes the classification meaningless. The way I see it: availability for game music albums is increasing, as is the proliferation of digital downloads (posing a threat to collectors, of which I am not right now), but the community's stagnated and gotten a lot less enthusiastic over the past couple of years.

When a lot of the initial excitement came from discovering new albums that can now be easily uncovered on VGMdb, it's understandable why a good number of VGM fans have discarded the scene. I missed a lot of discussion on this forum, in particular, and it's fun going back and viewing your old thoughts, all of you.