Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

XLord007 Sep 5, 2013 (edited Sep 7, 2013)

I decided to start Metal Gear Rising (PS3). The combat is very good (as you'd expect from Platinum Games), but I had to look up online how the parry system works since the game does a very poor job of teaching you how to do it. Outside of combat, the game feels like a Metal Gear game due to the unbelievable amount of recorded dialog for the optional codec conversations. I played the game for over four hours, and at least 75% of that time was spent listening to the optional dialog. I have no idea why they recorded so much additional content that few players will bother listening to, but if you ever wanted to be lectured about the history of the Georgian republic, this is your game.

I also tried three more demos:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (360)
-A good looking platformer with somewhat touchy controls and excessive voice narration. I've never played the original, so I can't comment on how it compares to the Genesis game.

TMNT: Out of the Shadows (360)
-Exceedingly mediocre brawler based on the Nickelodeon show. Avoid.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (360)
-A quiet game about two brothers looking for their father in a pastoral landscape. You control both brothers simultaneously; one is mapped to each stick and each has a context sensitive action that can be performed with the trigger closest to their stick. Seems pretty good, but the demo is too short to say for sure.

James O Sep 5, 2013

I've made my first MMO Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn (big surprise) =p

Despite the server issues, i'm enjoying it immensely so far.  I only play it when I have the time to so i'm not at a high level or anything like that yet.  Playing as an Arcanist.  I haven't had a chance to get on since they added more servers and increased the logon limits so i hope I don't have any more trouble trying to get on to play.

Qui-Gon Joe Sep 5, 2013

James O wrote:

I've made my first MMO Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn (big surprise) =p.

Also playing this, and LOVING it.  It fixes just about every problem I ever had with XI, and is in general a great game (and FAR exceeds my expectations of what I thought current Square was capable of).  I like that I can just pretty much solo through everything except for the dungeons and bosses, where the game starts to feel a little more like PSO (instanced with four people and run through the whole thing repeatedly for loot?  Yes yes yes).

VERY pleasantly surprised by how good this is.

James O Sep 6, 2013

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:
James O wrote:

I've made my first MMO Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn (big surprise) =p.

Also playing this, and LOVING it.  It fixes just about every problem I ever had with XI, and is in general a great game (and FAR exceeds my expectations of what I thought current Square was capable of).  I like that I can just pretty much solo through everything except for the dungeons and bosses, where the game starts to feel a little more like PSO (instanced with four people and run through the whole thing repeatedly for loot?  Yes yes yes).

VERY pleasantly surprised by how good this is.

What's your character's name and what server are you on?  I'm "Maximum Powerful" on Behemoth server right now. (Max Power was taken...

Qui-Gon Joe Sep 6, 2013

James O wrote:

What's your character's name and what server are you on?  I'm "Maximum Powerful" on Behemoth server right now. (Max Power was taken...

Pellasos Sep 7, 2013

another realm reborn player here. i went the marauder/warrior route. this game is pretty easy to start out even for novice players. the first 30 levels are free. you barely have to put any effort into anything. even the first few dungeons are just tutorial dungeons for beginners. the later levels need more coordination for dungeons. that's when things start to get more interesting for long time players. i'd like to continue playing for a while.

Jay Sep 7, 2013

I am resisting FF14 and instead playing Rayman Legends and I am loving it. Tons of fun and so many lovely touches. I enjoyed Origins and this isn't massively different and yet does feel like a good step up. And it seems to have tons of content. It helps that it looks gorgeous.

Also playing Animal Crossing of course.

GoldfishX Sep 7, 2013 (edited Sep 7, 2013)

My first Youtube video. Trying to really nail Ducktales. It's only the Moon because my USB controller crapped out (I played the Amazon after this and Scrooge wouldn't get off the vine!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWMG444rSww

Also trying to do NES Ninja Gaiden, but I'm not good enough yet. At some point, I want to be able to do a pacifist run (no sword, no weapons except for bosses).

I also started an Earthbound file up. Forgot how much fun this game was for an RPG.

vert1 Sep 8, 2013

That run will be a lot more frustrating than a fun challenge. Do you really want to go there? There is no way a pacifist is getting past all those birds... Are you feeling some sort-of new gen remorse (ala Ninja Gaiden 3) for killing things?

Qui-Gon Joe Sep 8, 2013

Some people just have fun with their favorite games by doing super challenges.  I've watched one of my friends make it to Ganon in the original NES Zelda without ever picking up a sword. Killing him is the only thing in the entire game that REQUIRES it, so you can't actually beat the game - you can make it there, though!

TerraEpon Sep 8, 2013 (edited Sep 8, 2013)

I've actually been doing swordless Zelda run myself, though I cheated a little 1) Money. Save states with the money making game rather than taking FOREVER with the candle and 2) Level 5 became such a bitch with bombs and I even just reloading when I got low on rupees or ran out of bombs I *still* couldn't do it (and it turns out I don't really need to get the flute yet anyway....I figured the red candle would help get the wand, but only bombs kill wizrobes anyway)

GoldfishX Sep 8, 2013

vert1 wrote:

That run will be a lot more frustrating than a fun challenge. Do you really want to go there? There is no way a pacifist is getting past all those birds... Are you feeling some sort-of new gen remorse (ala Ninja Gaiden 3) for killing things?

I was watching Sinister1 play it. You de-spawn the birds (make them fly offscreen). Made that one spot in 6-2 look easy, also 4-2.

Right now, my pain point is the last area of 2-2, with all the reapers.

And heh, I read about a near sword-less Zelda 1 run in old school Nintendo Power. I'm trying to think how you would do that, since you would need consumables to kill enemies (and at least 80 rupees to buy arrows)

TerraEpon Sep 8, 2013

Actually you can get 100 rupees for nothing in the very northeast corner, and then you go buy the candle. From there, well, you move back and forth between screens a lot...

XLord007 Sep 8, 2013

I finished Metal Gear Rising. It's a very solid action game with a way over-the-top story that gets surprisingly dark at times. The game itself is pretty short (~7 hours), but if you want to listen to the all of the codec conversations, it will more than double your time.

Qui-Gon Joe Sep 8, 2013

Bombs are required to kill a fair number of things, I recall.  There's a lot of luck involved with drops for consumables!

XLord007 Sep 11, 2013

Tried two more games:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U)
-Awful camera, awful combat, and a lousy demo that explains nothing. I don't understand why these games are so popular.

Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U)
-Played about an hour of this one, and I think I'll stick with it. It's already significantly better than RE6, but the primary gameplay mechanic is "Scan Boxes, Get Ammo."

Amazingu Sep 12, 2013

XLord007 wrote:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U)
-Awful camera, awful combat, and a lousy demo that explains nothing. I don't understand why these games are so popular.

The camera is notoriously bad and combat is definitely (deliberately?) clunky, but it's an EXTREMELY rewarding series once you get the hang of it.
It's amazingly deep and complex (I've poured 100s of hours into it and still don't understand most of it, haha) and it does boss battles better than pretty much anything else.

But yeah, there's a lot of frustration, very little explanation on anything and sometimes even plain trolling in these games.
It gets much better the more effort you put into it though. Some people like to describe it as "work" instead of a game, and they're not entirely wrong.

Wanderer Sep 13, 2013

I've been totally binging on Ys. It's nuts. Oath in Felghana was first (my favorite), and then Ark of Napishtim, Chronicles, and Origin. VII is next and then I'm sad to say that I'm out of games to play. sad Just love those intense battles...

James O Sep 13, 2013

Wanderer wrote:

I've been totally binging on Ys. It's nuts. Oath in Felghana was first (my favorite), and then Ark of Napishtim, Chronicles, and Origin. VII is next and then I'm sad to say that I'm out of games to play. sad Just love those intense battles...

You're in luck cause Ys Celceta is out in a couple months... if you have a Vita that is.

XLord007 Sep 14, 2013

Amazingu wrote:

but it's an EXTREMELY rewarding series once you get the hang of it.
It's amazingly deep and complex (I've poured 100s of hours into it and still don't understand most of it, haha)

I'm curious: Do you mostly play solo or with others when playing the MH games?

Wanderer Sep 15, 2013

James O wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

You're in luck cause Ys Celceta is out in a couple months... if you have a Vita that is.

No Vita, alas.

XLord007 Sep 21, 2013

I finished Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) yesterday. Really enjoyed it. It's not as good as RE4 (what is?), but it makes me feel better about the series after the ho-hum RE5 and disastrous RE6.

Amazingu Sep 22, 2013

XLord007 wrote:
Amazingu wrote:

but it's an EXTREMELY rewarding series once you get the hang of it.
It's amazingly deep and complex (I've poured 100s of hours into it and still don't understand most of it, haha)

I'm curious: Do you mostly play solo or with others when playing the MH games?

I play solo pretty much all the time.
I've been trying some online with MH4 though, and it works surprisingly well.

Razakin Sep 24, 2013

XLord007 wrote:

I finished Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) yesterday. Really enjoyed it. It's not as good as RE4 (what is?), but it makes me feel better about the series after the ho-hum RE5 and disastrous RE6.

Really don't understand the hate people have towards RE6. Even with all that QTE cry, for me, it feels that RE4 had more of them. tongue But yeah, Revelations is good, especially now that you can play it on bigger screen, really didn't work on 3DS at all.

And I've been enjoying GTA V a lot. I could throw hyperboles etc. towards it but I'll just resort saying that if you've enjoyed earlier titles, you will enjoy this. They've fixed some of the problems fourth did bring (plot issues), and have made some nice gameplay mechanic chances that makes things easier a bit. No more worrying if you flip your car, you can flip back and continue driving. And failing on missions? Fail three times and game let's you go onwards.

Also been playing some NHL 14, just because hockey. (And probably the last NHL game where Brodeur will be on Devils.)

Pellasos Sep 25, 2013

playing GTAV as well. i'm more impressed by the lighting than anything else. driving around is very moody.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB