Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages: 1

Angela Jan 15, 2010

A DS compilation of the four GBA titles was just announced for Japan.  3,990¥, due out on April 22, 2010.  No word yet on extras, refinements, or a domestic release:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/01/15/ … ero-again/

At the risk of sounding like a wuss-puss, I'd be all over this only if they decide to add an Easy Mode to all the games, a la Zero 4.  I'm not liable to have the patience to fight through these games again as is.

Smeg Jan 15, 2010

I've tried playing these games but I don't get far before I lose interest because there are too many words for a Mega Man game tongue I'll just keep listening to the soundtracks.

Razakin Jan 15, 2010

I so hope that you can remap the buttons to more X-style settings, so I could finally enjoy these games. Playing with GBA-style controls really made me loathe these gems.

Interesting to see/hear if they're remixing the tunes or not.

Idolores Jan 15, 2010

Razakin wrote:

I so hope that you can remap the buttons to more X-style settings, so I could finally enjoy these games. Playing with GBA-style controls really made me loathe these gems.

I can't say the controls were a deal breaker, but yeah, I agree. I really hope they add that.

Remaster the soundtracks, up the resolution a bit maybe. All I ask for.

Ashley Winchester Jan 15, 2010

No thank you. I love Zero as a character - in the X universe where he kicks's X's arse in coolness - but the Zero series is where I draw the line of not caring about Mega Man anymore. The difficulty of the games and the overdone amount of seriousness in the storyline chokes the fun out of it. Additionally, each game is so different in how power-ups are done it's like they never found what worked.

The music's the only thing I care about, but some of it has wilted over the years. The score for the original game is so outclassed by those that followed.

SonicPanda Jan 15, 2010

I don't think much of the first game, but 2 and 3 were great. 4 isn't quite as good, but it's much better than the first.

I'll import it AND buy it locally on the principle that if it sells well enough, Inti will be freed from their current yoke to work on ZX3, which I really, really want.

Pellasos Jan 15, 2010

the first game brought me back into the MM universe after the NES days, i've enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the difficulty level. i think the following sequels were toned down in that department when you've played them the classic way, i'm not talking about artificial challenges. but at least the music improved considerably.

Ashley Winchester Jan 15, 2010

Angela wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a wuss-puss, I'd be all over this only if they decide to add an Easy Mode to all the games, a la Zero 4.

I seriously doubt this because one of the things the Zero series has done since it's incarnation is tout it's high difficulty factor as one of it's main features, that it was intended for "hardcore players" who wanted "a real Mega Man game." When your perceived audience is appearing to shrink you grab onto the first thing you can and advertise it from the rooftops. Hell, first thing I think of when I think of the series is the difficulty, so it must have worked. When I think of what I like about it, it only comes to music.

Additionally, remember that Mega Man II actually had it's easy mode removed from the Mega Man Anniversary Collection - which bums me out since their is no one-shotting Metal Man and Wood Man (and removes some history as a result). I have (and take) the NES cart of 2 over it.

Angela Jan 15, 2010

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I seriously doubt this because one of the things the Zero series has done since it's incarnation is tout it's high difficulty factor as one of it's main features, that it was intended for "hardcore players" who wanted "a real Mega Man game." When your perceived audience is appearing to shrink you grab onto the first thing you can and advertise it from the rooftops. Hell, first thing I think of when I think of the series is the difficulty, so it must have worked.

True, but Capcom appears to be making strives toward catering to the more casual gamer with the series nowadays.  The upcoming Mega Man 10 is going to have an Easy Mode, so it's not a stretch to imagine them NOT wanting to alienate a potential new audience so soon after.

Amazingu Jan 16, 2010 (edited Jan 16, 2010)

Yeah, I already heard about this through the Capcom Newsletter I'm recieving on my Mobile Phone.
The Mobile site states that there WILL be a DS exclusive mode, but doesn't give any details.

The recent Battle Network port was EXTREMELY disappointing in that they didn't improve anything and just added one stupid boss, so I wouldn't expect anything in terms of improved graphics or music.

Still I'm gonna be all over this, I know that much.

Ugly Bob Jan 17, 2010

Nice insight, Ashley!

While I agree that Zero's story is overly serious, it is still compelling and interesting, especially with the ultimate fate of the characters and how the story ties into the X series. If any series is melodramatic, it is the X series, with a barely there plot, recycled from each game to the next.

Just think of how Squid Adler in X5 is like "I will avenge Launch Octopus!" Sure took him a long time no? Probably the best things in that series is the X VS Zero fight in X5, and that's mostly because of the music!

As for the Zero series being hard, I've never understood that. They are actually easier than the X series and especially the originals, mostly because of the Cyber Elves and how powerful the Z-Saber is. The boss patterns are very simple and with practice, it is easy to do no damage runs!

Ashley Winchester Jan 17, 2010

Ugly Bob wrote:

Nice insight, Ashley!
While I agree that Zero's story is overly serious, it is still compelling and interesting, especially with the ultimate fate of the characters and how the story ties into the X series. If any series is melodramatic, it is the X series, with a barely there plot, recycled from each game to the next.

When it comes to linking the X series into the Zero series, I'm not a very happy camper. While little tidbits have been revealed, it's not enough. Additionally, where is Axl? I have to admit I could have cared less about him until the ending of X8, where he becomes important for the first time ever.

Ugly Bob wrote:

Just think of how Squid Adler in X5 is like "I will avenge Launch Octopus!" Sure took him a long time no? Probably the best things in that series is the X VS Zero fight in X5, and that's mostly because of the music!

Totally agree to that being an awesome fight with more than approprate music, but I kind of like the Mavericks having some backstory - like The Skiver being angry with Zero for killing Colonel. X6 kind of got carried away with this stuff w/ the Gate (a useless enemy) and Alia stuff. Still, had the series ended with X5 I'd probably be a happier fan. The only thing X6~X8 provided was some more music, cool armors (Ninja Armor!) and more storyline confusion.

Angela Jan 17, 2010

Ugly Bob wrote:

As for the Zero series being hard, I've never understood that. They are actually easier than the X series and especially the originals,

Curious.  I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a Blue Bomber fan who doesn't believe the X series to be the easiest of the three.

Ugly Bob Jan 17, 2010

true, the X series is pretty easy as well, except parts of X4 with Sigma!

I've heard mostly people who started with the original series say that the X series is much harder. I can't see why, what with subtanks. Maybe it is because you start with less life/need to use your dodging abilities often?

Ashley Winchester Jan 17, 2010

Angela wrote:
Ugly Bob wrote:

As for the Zero series being hard, I've never understood that. They are actually easier than the X series and especially the originals,

Curious.  I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a Blue Bomber fan who doesn't believe the X series to be the easiest of the three.

Yeah, I don't really think the X series is that hard. X6 is more annoying than hard because it's such a freakin’ hatchet job and X7 can be as well because of some ill-fated design choices until you get X back (don't know why I'm hiding this, it's pretty much common knowledge now)and just rip bosses apart with his overpowered charge shot.

Mega Man 1 and 7 up the difficulty plateau on the original series a few notches higher IMO. 8's Wily Battles are no pick nick either.

Idolores Jan 17, 2010

My difficulty tier always looked like:

Zero, Classic, then X. The Zero series was just wholesomely difficult, and the grading system made it worse for a perfectionist like me, but I welcomed the challenge after breezing through the X series.

XLord007 Jan 20, 2010

Not sure I care too much about this.  I already finished all of these on GBA, and only because I had the hori pad for the GBP.  I don't think any version of the DS is really comfortable enough to make playing through these again worthwhile.  Plus, I still haven't bothered to play through the two ZX games yet.  That said, I would wholeheartedly recommend the collection to anyone who hasn't played these yet since they're very good (especially MMZ2 which is the only one with a balanced difficulty level -- the first one is insane and the last two are too easy).

Related Albums

Tags

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB