Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

SonicPanda Dec 12, 2009

TheGazelMinistry wrote:

Some additional information: No female robot masters, no charge shot or slide, Commando Man, and a March release.

March, hmm? That's probably for the best. January's very busy, and February has one or two, but March is kind of wide open. The sandstorms idea stings a little personally, because when Nintendo Power had their boss contest I designed a Simoomman whose stage centered around that very gimmick. I was proud of my 11-year-old self. At least the idea finally made it in.

Ashley Winchester Dec 12, 2009

Amazingu wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

As for playable characters, I have some worry as to how Bass would be represented in an 8-bit fashion. He's more decorative in design than Mega or Protoman so I have to question how well he would look simplified.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/ws/a/rf.htm

I meant on the NES. I had no clue the Wonderswan was 8-bit.

Ashley Winchester Dec 14, 2009

I'm not as excited about the game as much as I am about getting more music, I hope to get some more stage tracks like the awesome themes for Magma Man and Plug Man.

Idolores Dec 14, 2009

I just hope we get another awesome arrange album like we got with Megaman 9.

SonicPanda Dec 14, 2009

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I hope to get some more stage tracks like the awesome themes for Magma Man and Plug Man.

I feel Kawakami understands the feel of Megaman music better than anyone else in the company.

Ashley Winchester Dec 14, 2009 (edited Dec 14, 2009)

SonicPanda wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

I hope to get some more stage tracks like the awesome themes for Magma Man and Plug Man.

I feel Kawakami understands the feel of Megaman music better than anyone else in the company.

Exactly, but I think Akemi Kimura had a good handle on MM music on X5~X8 as well.

Ashley Winchester Dec 17, 2009

This is a Mega Man related question, so I'll but it here: Has anyone noticed the parallels between the later entries in the original MM series and the X series?

Mega Man 7: Mega Man attempts to shoot Wily at the end of the game, almost breaking one of the laws of robotics. Kind of sounds like Maverick behavior don't you think?

Mega Man 9: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the eight Robot Masters in Mega Man 9 didn't want to be deactivated/recycled, so they rebelled. If so, did they rebel on their own, joining Wily after the fact or did they rebel with Dr. Wily help via reprogramming?

Mega Man 10: "Robotenza" just reminds me of the Maverick Virus, and if you’re gonna talk about vaccines, you can't forget Dr. Doppler's Neuro Computer which was really one big fat placebo.

Idolores Dec 17, 2009

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Mega Man 7: Mega Man attempts to shoot Wily at the end of the game, almost breaking one of the laws of robotics. Kind of sounds like Maverick behavior don't you think?

That would've blown my mind, save for one thing. Isn't the maverick behaviour, as it's called, exclusive to reploids? Megaman is just an ordinary robot.

SonicPanda Dec 17, 2009

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Mega Man 7: Mega Man attempts to shoot Wily at the end of the game, almost breaking one of the laws of robotics. Kind of sounds like Maverick behavior don't you think?

From what I understand that exchange was added by the translators, MM just doesn't respond to Wily's warning about robotic laws in the original.

But I wouldn't mind if they were toying with these plot elements to try to establish Classic canon as being separate from X and beyond. Divorcing them eliminate some of the wider contradictions (only Mavericks and beyond are supposed to have free will, but Classic characters act on their own all the time, including Rock's decision to be converted to a fighter) and open mysteries (what happens to the Classic characters by the time MMX starts?) while freeing the larger timeline to finally reach its finite conclusion and the Classic series to continue indefinitely.

There's a new trailer out, too, with RM silhouettes. Apparently there's a baseball boss coming.
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2009/12/17/ … ga-man-10/

Angela Dec 17, 2009

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Mega Man 9: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the eight Robot Masters in Mega Man 9 didn't want to be deactivated/recycled, so they rebelled. If so, did they rebel on their own, joining Wily after the fact or did they rebel with Dr. Wily help via reprogramming?

I wish those brief cinematic scenes weren't such a haze in my mind right now, but I'm almost certain they rebelled on their own accord.  No reprogramming on Wily's part was done, save for some verbal persuasion.

Ashley Winchester Dec 17, 2009

Idolores wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Mega Man 7: Mega Man attempts to shoot Wily at the end of the game, almost breaking one of the laws of robotics. Kind of sounds like Maverick behavior don't you think?

That would've blown my mind, save for one thing. Isn't the maverick behaviour, as it's called, exclusive to reploids? Megaman is just an ordinary robot.

From what I have taken from various sources, the robots in the original series seem to have had a certain amount of free will (this would explain things like Protoman not trusting Dr.Light to replace his defective core only to have Dr.Wily do it, only to bail on working for him in exchange - aka deception, which is also seen in the cartoon series when Rock lies to Wily in the episode "The Beginning") while the robots in the X universe have complete free will. Such an idea would support Angela's answer concerning Mega Man 9's robots in that a little coaching could turn a robot evil.

As for Maverick "behaviour" (love that extra "u" you eurys throw in - I'm very use to seeing it on metal CD track listings) it is indeed limited to Reploids, but in a certain, abstract sense Mega Man's actions can kind of be seen as a precursor to the Maverick state itself. Again, it's far from an infallible theory, but as a fan I think it's something worth noting.

Smeg Dec 17, 2009

Herrkotowski wrote:

Well, I must say, I"m absolutely digging the stage theme that is featured in the debut trailer. The stage theme where Easy mode is shown off is also quite lovely. I expect another soundtrack like Megaman 9! So excited.

http://kotaku.com/5428611/mega-man-10-debut-trailer

That video made me feel eight years old for a minute and a half.

Idolores Dec 17, 2009

I love classic Megaman, but goddamn, I'm hoping this will be the last of the 8-bit renaissance. I'd like to see an X9 done in 16-bit, though, assuming they can do it and not muck up the already messed up story (everyone tells me it was supposed to end at X5).

Angela Dec 17, 2009 (edited Dec 20, 2009)

Smeg wrote:
Herrkotowski wrote:

Well, I must say, I"m absolutely digging the stage theme that is featured in the debut trailer. The stage theme where Easy mode is shown off is also quite lovely. I expect another soundtrack like Megaman 9! So excited.

http://kotaku.com/5428611/mega-man-10-debut-trailer

That video made me feel eight years old for a minute and a half.

This calls for an mp3 recording:

Mega Man 10 Trailer Theme Preview (sans the opening cinema and Easy Mode clip):
http://www.mediafire.com/?tnntz00vzot

EDIT: Re-uploaded, now looped.

XLord007 Dec 20, 2009 (edited Dec 20, 2009)

As expected, the game looks awesome, but I wish they would cut out the secondary and tertiary playable characters.  Since they started doing this in the X series, I've always felt that it dilutes the experience.  You should only be able to play as Mega Man.  Period.

Ashley Winchester Dec 20, 2009

XLord007 wrote:

As expected, the game looks awesome, but I wish they would cut out the secondary and tertiary playable characters.  Since they started doing this in the X series, I've always felt that it dilutes the experience.  You should only be able to play as Mega Man.  Period.

Are you crazy? Ok, I'll totally give you Axl, since if the series ended at X5 as planned he wouldn't even exist (which wouldn't hurt my feelings in the slightest) but Zero totally kicks Mega Man X's butt. Also, I think having two protagonists in the X series is a good idea since X and Zero's demeanor are quite different, X being hesitant towards conflict and Zero being calm and collected and more willing to rip a Maverick's head off if the situation calls for it.

Additionally, look at Mega Man X4. It's true the game doesn't change that much depending on who you play as, but with X being a more long range fighter (good for novices) and Zero being a more up close (good for advanced players) it adds a ripple to the difficulty level not seen in the other games, though I'll admit in games like X5 and X6 the differences between X and Zero (and their weapons) are diluted enough where that difference isn't as relevant. That’s those game’s loss.

Idolores Dec 20, 2009

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Additionally, look at Mega Man X4. It's true the game doesn't change that much depending on who you play as, but with X being a more long range fighter (good for novices) and Zero being a more up close (good for advanced players) it adds a ripple to the difficulty level not seen in the other games, though I'll admit in games like X5 and X6 the differences between X and Zero (and their weapons) are diluted enough where that difference isn't as relevant. That’s those game’s loss.

I think the X series succeeded more in that department because they built Zero up to be a stronger secondary character right from the beginning; he always had a major role in the story. Protoman, at best, was just a character watching from the shadows, operating just outside the fringe.

I think Megaman classic should just be Megaman alone. Maybe Protoman as a bonus for DLC or something like Megaman 9.

absuplendous Dec 20, 2009

You can always just play as Megaman alone... if you don't want to play as other characters, you don't have to. I myself am looking forward to playing as Protoman again.

Ashley Winchester Dec 20, 2009

Idolores wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Additionally, look at Mega Man X4. It's true the game doesn't change that much depending on who you play as, but with X being a more long range fighter (good for novices) and Zero being a more up close (good for advanced players) it adds a ripple to the difficulty level not seen in the other games, though I'll admit in games like X5 and X6 the differences between X and Zero (and their weapons) are diluted enough where that difference isn't as relevant. That’s those game’s loss.

I think the X series succeeded more in that department because they built Zero up to be a stronger secondary character right from the beginning; he always had a major role in the story. Protoman, at best, was just a character watching from the shadows, operating just outside the fringe.

*Nods and agrees*

Additionally, when Protoman enters the fray in a canonical since he gets pwned (see Mega Man & Bass)

Related Albums

Tags

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB