Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

absuplendous Mar 4, 2010

You think the Classic Controller is huge? It might be a little fuller-bodied than the more curvaceous SNES pad, but I'd say their size is on par with one another. It's certainly smaller and lighter than the other console alternatives. I think it's quite comfortable--if I made any complaints, "too large" certainly wouldn't be one of them. If you haven't tried it, palm one at a used game shop. Come to think of it, my local used shop has a black one in stock... better pick that up to match the black US Wii we'll apparently never have.

Ashley Winchester Mar 4, 2010

Virtual Boot wrote:

You think the Classic Controller is huge? It might be a little fuller-bodied than the more curvaceous SNES pad, but I'd say their size is on par with one another. It's certainly smaller and lighter than the other console alternatives. I think it's quite comfortable--if I made any complaints, "too large" certainly wouldn't be one of them. If you haven't tried it, palm one at a used game shop. Come to think of it, my local used shop has a black one in stock... better pick that up to match the black US Wii we'll apparently never have.

Well, I'm working from the picture in the link I posted; I'm pretty unfamilar with the Wii in almost all aspects. It's just that the d-pad and buttons seem so high up with so much below them.

Angela Mar 5, 2010

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Well, I'm working from the picture in the link I posted; I'm pretty unfamilar with the Wii in almost all aspects.

Isn't it kind of rash to proclaim liking the NES and SNES controllers a whole lot more, then? 

You really can't go by pictures alone when it comes to the most important aspect of controllers: their feel.  Ditto for portable gaming systems.

SonicPanda Mar 5, 2010

Sami wrote:

Re: A/B buttons - just how the heck do you guys hold your Wiimotes? (Pics if possible!)

Usually when I play NES games on Wii, I simply rest the B button underneath against my left-hand fingers, since the input doesn't affect those games. While playing MM10 I wound up training myself to spread and rest my first two fingers on opposite sides of the button (not that accidents didn't still occur.
As for the Classic Controller, I personally tend not to use it unless I'm playing SNES, Genesis or N64 games. Part of this is because Wiimote play feels more authentic with NES and TG16 games, and part of it is because I don't want batteries draining any faster than I can help.

Ashley Winchester Mar 5, 2010

Angela wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:

Well, I'm working from the picture in the link I posted; I'm pretty unfamilar with the Wii in almost all aspects.

Isn't it kind of rash to proclaim liking the NES and SNES controllers a whole lot more, then? 

You really can't go by pictures alone when it comes to the most important aspect of controllers: their feel.  Ditto for portable gaming systems.

Can't say I'm surprised you come to the controller's defense... I take it you've never judged a book by it's cover. Naw, you're beyond that, right?

Angela Mar 5, 2010 (edited Mar 5, 2010)

SonicPanda wrote:

As for the Classic Controller, I personally tend not to use it unless I'm playing SNES, Genesis or N64 games. Part of this is because Wiimote play feels more authentic with NES and TG16 games, and part of it is because I don't want batteries draining any faster than I can help.

The Wiimote tethering was always a disappointing design flaw of the Classic Controller.  I've often wondered if technical shortcomings was the reason why it couldn't just have its own proprietary GC-style port for direct plug in?

On the note of batteries, though, I'd definitely recommend Sanyo's Eneloop brand of rechargeables.  The low self-discharge is great for keeping well-charged spares on hand, and the life itself per charge is excellent.  Been using them for my digital camera and gaming controllers for a number of years now, and they still work swell.

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Can't say I'm surprised you come to the controller's defense... I take it you've never judged a book by it's cover. Naw, you're beyond that, right?

I'm not really defending it, per se.  Just that I wouldn't make such a conclusive claim on something that would be better defined in person.

the_miker Mar 5, 2010

Sami wrote:

Re: A/B buttons - just how the heck do you guys hold your Wiimotes? (Pics if possible!)

I held mine like this while playing MM10 and surprisingly I did fairly well.  Skillz.

Sami Mar 7, 2010

SonicPanda wrote:

Usually when I play NES games on Wii, I simply rest the B button underneath against my left-hand fingers, since the input doesn't affect those games. While playing MM10 I wound up training myself to spread and rest my first two fingers on opposite sides of the button (not that accidents didn't still occur.

I never thought people would have trouble holding the Wiimote. How curious!

Anyways, I just rest my index finger on the side of the Wiimote, and it rests against my relaxed middle finger and hand. Here's an actual pic. When there's use for the B button, I can put my index finger just at the base of the button for quick access but without any risk of triggering it unintentionally.

Amazingu Mar 10, 2010

I assume this thread is going to be flooded with ps3 users from tomorrow, so I'd best just get ahead and provide my 2 cents on the PS3 version, since it was released in Japan yesterday.
I finished the game today, completed about 30% of the challenges and am aiming for some of the trophies now. Christ, some of the trophies are INSANE and there isn't a single gold one among them.

Some random thoughts:

- Overall, although there are some EXTREMELY infuriating moments, MM10 seems slightly easier than 9.
I was lulled into a false sense of security by coincidentally starting with what turned out to be the easiest stage by far (Sheep man) but man, did the game punish me for that in other stages.
Strike Man and Solar Man seemed to be the hardest of the bunch.

- In terms of the Robot Masters Blade Man and Chill man can go to Hell. And ROT.
The rest of them are fairly easy though.
As has been said, I like how some Boss battles require you to use their weakness in a certain way for it to be most effective.

- The sand storms in Commando Man's stage never got me. It's those bloody goddamn parachute bombs popping up out of nowhere that did. God, I hate those.

- The hardest stage for me was probably Wily Stage 1 which is ironic considering how straightforward it is. Drove me crazy though.

- The hardest Boss was the Block Demon boss from Wily Stage 3.
GOD, do I ever hate bosses like that.
The easiest one on the other hand was The Giant Enemy Crab. You don't even need to KNOW his weak spot to do massive damage.

- I liked the ending. It made me go "dawwwwww".

- I also like how the new Challenge mode works. Much more fun than the challenges in MM9.

- I also also like how finishing the game rewards you with a Megaman T-shirt for your Home Avatar. More games should do that.

In short, the main game may not be quite as solid as MM9, but the added fun of the challenges and the fact that you get Protoman from the start makes it a better game as a whole to me.

I'll have MM11 in 16 bits please!

SonicPanda Mar 10, 2010

Amazingu wrote:

- In terms of the Robot Masters Blade Man and Chill man can go to Hell. And ROT.

- The sand storms in Commando Man's stage never got me. It's those bloody goddamn parachute bombs popping up out of nowhere that did. God, I hate those.

- The hardest stage for me was probably Wily Stage 1 which is ironic considering how straightforward it is. Drove me crazy though.

Regarding the first statement, if you play on Hard the bosses all have new attacks, a la Powered Up. Funny thing is, the first of the two you mentioned is easier to abuse on Hard Mode, at least in the Challenges. Strategy follows in white: His two new aspects are throwing five blades instead of three, and dashing into you blade-first one more time after diving at you. Assuming you're in Challenge Mode (Blademan H opens up when you reach him on Hard, naturally), MM should start the fight straddling a crack in the floor. DON'T MOVE, this is the perfect spot to avoid his first attack. Once the blade goes over your head, immediately run to straddle the crack nearest to the opposite wall - you'll dodge his ceiling spray on the way, and the other wall's spray once you arrive. Then he'll dive. Jump over, turn, shoot once or twice, and then jump over him again (the extra dash is here), shoot no more than twice and focus on returning to the corner crack you're closest to. Rinse and repeat.
Youtube videos suggest you can keep him jumping between walls by shooting when he's on them, but this didn't work as effectively for me as my (admittedly slower) strategy.

On second thought, reading your second statement, maybe you want to avoid Hard Mode altogether. The second of the end stages is pracrtically a shrine to those things on Hard.

I'm surprised you call the stage listed in your third comment straightforward, though. I think of that as having the most branches.

At this point, I'm have over 70% of the Challenges done (everything left of List One is boss-related now...grumble grumble), and I can tell you that all the ones on List Two can be accomplished on Easy except the obvious one. In fact, on Easy Mode, you can save between the end stages, making what was the highest mountain in 9 much more feasible here.

Amazingu Mar 10, 2010

SonicPanda wrote:

I'm surprised you call the stage listed in your third comment straightforward, though. I think of that as having the most branches.

At this point, I'm have over 70% of the Challenges done (everything left of List One is boss-related now...grumble grumble), and I can tell you that all the ones on List Two can be accomplished on Easy except the obvious one. In fact, on Easy Mode, you can save between the end stages, making what was the highest mountain in 9 much more feasible here.

Yeah, what I meant with 'straightforward' was not so much the path itself, as the fact that there aren't a lot of obsctructions in your way. Getting through the actual stage was quite easy. You know what makes it hard though.

I assume that what you call List Two would be the Trophy list on the PS3, and I did get them on Easy, yes.
Has anyone EVER managed to get through ANY Megaman game without getting damaged though?

Eirikr Mar 10, 2010

Amazingu wrote:

Has anyone EVER managed to get through ANY Megaman game without getting damaged though?

I got the Mr. Perfect achievement in MM10 the other night. Easy of course, but it was still aggravating. A friend of mine did it in MM9, but there's no way I'll have the patience for redoing the whole of Wily's castle every time.

Carl Mar 11, 2010

Eirikr wrote:
Amazingu wrote:

Has anyone EVER managed to get through ANY Megaman game without getting damaged though?

I got the Mr. Perfect achievement in MM10 the other night. Easy of course, but it was still aggravating. A friend of mine did it in MM9, but there's no way I'll have the patience for redoing the whole of Wily's castle every time.

Hats off to both of you, that's some crazy achievement.

the_miker Mar 12, 2010

Did anybody try the PS3 version yet?  There's a free demo up on PSN, you're limited to playing Strike Man's stage as Mega Man, but it gives you a good feel of the game.  I definitely love the shoulder buttons for weapon switching.  But I can't help but notice a tiny tiny bit of input lag between the controller and my TV, something that wasn't present in the Wii version, but it could just be my HD Box connected to the Wii that eliminates it for me.  The other thing I noticed is that the graphics seemed a little blurry to me, as opposed to the Wii one looking nice and crispy.  Again, it might just be that my HD Box is upscaling the visuals better on the Wii than native HDMI on the PS3.  Can anyone confirm?

Oh and what's with those distracting borders if you have a 16:9 TV?  I'm hoping there's an "all black" option in the full game or a future update, for people who are forced to play the PS3 version.

Wanderer Mar 12, 2010 (edited Mar 12, 2010)

I downloaded it for the PS3. Started with Blade Man, which promptly ended in my slaughter. Cursed a bit, tried Sheep Man and got through that one. And then I tried Solar Man, once again got slaughtered and decided that I'd save the game for a time when my blood pressure is more regulated.

Angela Mar 12, 2010 (edited Mar 12, 2010)

the_miker wrote:

Did anybody try the PS3 version yet?

Grabbed it last night, and gave it a quick test run.  Made it through Commando Man's and Solar Man's stages on Mega Man Normal (damn those ladder-knocking fire rings in Solar Man's level), and then I tried the same stages on Mega Man Easy.  Easy Mode is *insultingly* easy; platform handicaps, super minimal hit damage, obstacles removal, slower-moving enemies, full health refills peppered throughout..... it's sacrilegious, I tell ya.  Methinks I won't be touching this mode again, at least not with Mega Man.

I've only had experience with Mega Man 9 on PS3 and no other system, but the controls seem fine to me.  No noticeable lag to speak of.  Graphics look normal too, but yeah, the new borders are damned distracting.  At first, I thought it was a pixel glitch that was plaguing my game - until I took a closer examination, and realized that they were made up of a whole bunch of classic series sprites.  Neat idea, but it's still ugly as shit.  Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it to all-black.

I too find myself accidentally hitting the Dual Shock's shoulder buttons in the heat of action, resulting in unwanted weapon changing.  Kinda hoped there was an option to map them to L2/R2 instead.  In any case, I still find myself pressing Start to head into the pause menu out of habit. wink

SonicPanda Mar 12, 2010

Angela wrote:

In any case, I still find myself pressing Start to head into the pause menu out of habit. wink

Tactically, that still has its advantages. As in MM9, it erases any lingering projectiles, so if you misfire, or just want to increase shot rate, you can pause/unpause and fire again. Ostensibly you could also do this on the fly with quickswitching, but at that point you've already proven you're Neo and are just showing off.

Another point - the Interrupt menu (most likely Select on the PS3) will NOT erase those same projectiles, so if, say, you have a Water Shield up and want to fast-pause to see which way the boss is going to move without wasting time & weapon energy, there you go. Invaluable if you're trying to be Mr. Perfect.

Up to 80%, just gold-crowned Commando Hard last night (you'd better believe I celebrated) but now Chill Hard is giving me fresh ulcers.

Related Albums

Tags

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB