Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

Ashley Winchester Apr 19, 2017 (edited Apr 19, 2017)

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I'm near the end of the Baten Kaitos let's play I'm watching. I'm going to check out some of the other albums above, but to be honest I'm just going to dive into Baten Kaitos Origins after this since I'm on a Sakuraba kick anyway. Seems logical to do so.

Okay, I can't help but think Origins is just plain weird. Compared to the first game everything about this one comes off as odd.

Ashley Winchester Apr 21, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:
The_Paladin wrote:

Also my favorite OST from 2015 just got released on cd recently, Undertale.

Oh wow! I didn't know there was a physical copy now. I'll have to look into that.

I doubt you're going to see this, and not that I doubt you, but I don't see an entry for this on VGMdb. Where can I buy this?

GoldfishX Apr 22, 2017

Just a few notes, from the past couple days...

-Went back and relistened to the Covenant of the Plume albums. I definitely prefer the remade tracks on this one. The songs have significantly more breathing room than the originals. Very noticeable in Hard Chain Reaction. Originals are hit or miss (mostly misses, I gutted a LOT of stuff out of this album), but the arrange album is actually REALLY solid from start to finish. Odd combination, since the arrange mostly focuses on newer tracks.

-The newer SO/VP band album is a cool idea, but WAY too much lead synth. It's out in front a lot and really hurts quite a few of the arrangements. This one ended up about 50/50 overall. I loved what he did with Dynamite...Totally different from the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6AcEdcltfI

I guess this one would be the lead single...It's exactly what I wanted from a "Stab the Sword of Justice" arrange. Way livelier than the SO2 Arrange Album version and it includes the whole song (it's a toss-up for me between the electric guitar synth of the SO2 arrange and the live guitar here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiH1LSBJYCs

And my favorite SO1 track makes an appearance. It's pretty good, but there's a few spots where that synth is just NASTY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv3QQGaTdfc

-DEFINITELY recommending Street Fighter V. I enjoyed the disc of stage themes nearly as much as the classic character themes. Each one, I expected kind of a shallow "regional" reference in the music, but there's a nice development into each theme that is just loaded with hooks. The New Zealand stage, Brazil stage and the India stage musics  are good examples. I'm having a lot of fun with this one (and I say this as someone that found Street Fighter IV's soundtrack obnoxious). My favorite fighting game soundtrack of this decade, by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLzCABrB9U

-Plants vs Zombies is a fantastic old-school soundtrack. A tad short, but very little goes to waste.

What got me to try this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

-Soma Bringer IS great, but it's Mitsuda on autopilot for 3 CD's pretty much. without the insane sound quality of Chrono Cross. I realized I wasn't gutting anything from this soundtrack, but very little was sticking out at the same time. Definitely a safe pick.

I think this ended up being my favorite track from the set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1k8DgAoEE

Ashley Winchester Apr 22, 2017

GoldfishX wrote:

Covenant of the Plume... but the arrange album is actually REALLY solid from start to finish. Odd combination, since the arrange mostly focuses on newer tracks.

It's the new tracks I'll probably be more concerned with when I get around to this.

GoldfishX wrote:

The newer SO/VP band album is a cool idea, but WAY too much lead synth. It's out in front a lot and really hurts quite a few of the arrangements.

Agreed.

GoldfishX wrote:

I loved what he did with Dynamite

I can appreciate what he did with Dynamite (never expected it to be taken in that direction) but the virility of the original is really important to me for some reason. I like that they did "Tangency" though.

GoldfishX wrote:

It's exactly what I wanted from a "Stab the Sword of Justice" arrange. Way livelier than the SO2 Arrange Album version

This is a rather sad admission, but I greatly enjoy the Stab the Sword of Justice remix on the arrange album for some reason. I like that it's a little slower and it was the key song in making me buy that album.

GoldfishX wrote:

-Plants vs Zombies is a fantastic old-school soundtrack. A tad short, but very little goes to waste.

What got me to try this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

That was surprisingly awesome. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that or is that just an isolated piece?

GoldfishX wrote:

Soma Bringer IS great, but it's Mitsuda on autopilot for 3 CD's pretty much. without the insane sound quality of Chrono Cross. I realized I wasn't gutting anything from this soundtrack, but very little was sticking out at the same time. Definitely a safe pick.

From the song you linked to I don't think the sound quality is going to be a problem with this when I get around to listening to this one. Sounded great to me.

Zane Apr 22, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:
The_Paladin wrote:

Also my favorite OST from 2015 just got released on cd recently, Undertale.

Oh wow! I didn't know there was a physical copy now. I'll have to look into that.

I doubt you're going to see this, and not that I doubt you, but I don't see an entry for this on VGMdb. Where can I buy this?

Maybe here? https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/album/undertale-soundtrack

Ashley Winchester Apr 22, 2017

Thanks. I did a search and all the results that came up were for the download.

Zane, my first hunch was bandcamp as well. But hey, at least they're giving us physical Ninja Gaiden soundtracks! May can't come fast enough.

Ashley Winchester Apr 25, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:
GoldfishX wrote:

-Plants vs Zombies is a fantastic old-school soundtrack. A tad short, but very little goes to waste.

What got me to try this one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

That was surprisingly awesome. Is the rest of the soundtrack like that or is that just an isolated piece?

I looked into this one. I think it's pretty damn good. I wish there was a version on physical media but for a mere four dollars the DL is more than worth it.

Ashley Winchester Apr 28, 2017 (edited Apr 29, 2017)

A few things:

- I'm I the only one who loves "Another Medium" on the Undertale OST? I love that track...

- Is there anyone else that loves the soundtrack to Castlevania 64? I know it's not run-of-the-mill CV but I like that this one is different. The soundtrack does a whole bunch of things I usually dislike and makes me like it.

- Does anyone else kind of get the VP vibe from the Tales of Destiny OST? I don't mean in a compositional sense, but in that sense that the synth is somewhat bizarre.

Edit:

- Might get chastised for this one, but I got to say it. I didn't play many of the Contra games growing up, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that I found the second Contra volume a little underwhelming. If I had a history with the games like I do Mega Man the opposite would probably hold true.

Ashley Winchester Apr 29, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:

and what was once titled "Radasan" (sp? looks like the translation changed; don't know what it's called now)

Okay, so it looks like this track is now called "Last Dungeon" on the Rue disc.

Zane Apr 29, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:

- Does anyone else kind of get the VP vibe from the Tales of Destiny OST? I don't mean in a compositional sense, but in that sense that the synth is somewhat bizarre.

Yup. ToD sounds like a VP demo to me. I mean, come on.

The_Paladin Apr 29, 2017

I think in general the boss themes get more attention in Undertale but  yeah Another Medium is great.  I think there is good stuff in the N64 Castlevania; I definitely see it more as a true successor to Super Castlevania musically as a lot is very subdued and not necessarily as memorable.

Ashley Winchester May 4, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:

- Does anyone else kind of get the VP vibe from the Tales of Destiny OST? I don't mean in a compositional sense, but in that sense that the synth is somewhat bizarre.

I dug into this one more. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this, but does anyone find this soundtrack kind of annoying? And when I say annoying I don't necessarily mean it in a bad way, I mean it in an almost "annoying, but good at the same time" kind of way.

I'd have to say this is my favorite track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkavH0 … F&index=12

Hardly surprising it's a battle theme.

Ashley Winchester May 6, 2017

http://vgmdb.net/album/1805

Curious question. The Tales of Destiny Soundtrack has it's classification listed as "arrangement" not "original soundtrack" but lists Sony PlayStation as the platform. Is that correct? Is the audio enhanced on the album or something?

Ashley Winchester May 6, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Curious question. The Tales of Destiny Soundtrack has it's classification listed as "arrangement" not "original soundtrack" but lists Sony PlayStation as the platform. Is that correct? Is the audio enhanced on the album or something?

Okay, figured this out. I guess I was listening to psfs on youtube, not the OST. Eh, I kind of liked the PS1 sound for what it was.

Ramza May 12, 2017

Personally, I'd recommend adding some Gust and Falcom to the mix.

If you want some "obvious" recommendations in Gust OST realm, the Atelier Viorate reprint and the first Atelier Iris Eternal Mana OST (projects A5 and A6, respectively) are among my favorites. Atelier Totori (A12) is also quite nice. A14-16 are a whole other set of stuff, but it's not quite the same.

As for Falcom ... My favorite might remain Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim. I'm also big on the Ys Origin OST, despite it being only about 50% new source material. Unfortunately, its physical version is out of stock everywhere, you'll pay 5000 minimum on YJ for it. But you could go digital, almost all Falcom is on iTunes.

If you want a classic Falcom OST, there have been a lot of prints and reprints of Sorcerian music. I'd recommend those. Oh, and some of the Brandish stuff. OH, and VM Japan (that one is newer, but really good).

Ashley Winchester May 12, 2017

Ramza wrote:

My favorite might remain Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim.

I had a friend play a track or two from this for me eons ago. I thought it was good but I never did get around to looking into this stuff more.

But yeah, I'll have to look into that stuff as well. I'm completely unfamiliar with that subsection of music.

I have a lot of the/my "no-brainer" picks out of the way so I'm going to have to leave my comfort zone at some point.

Zane May 12, 2017

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Ramza wrote:

My favorite might remain Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim.

I had a friend play a track or two from this for me eons ago. I thought it was good but I never did get around to looking into this stuff more.

It looks like the entirety of Falcom Sound Team's catalog is on Spotify NA.

Jodo Kast May 13, 2017

A few of my favorite Super Famicom soundtracks are FEDA: The Emblem of Justice, Shin Momotaro Densetsu and Bounty Sword. The FEDA and Shin MD albums each come with a disc of arrangements that get considerable playtime and the Bounty Sword album has a few outstanding vocal tracks - the ending theme is also epic.

I never got into the Tales Of... series or the Atelier, other than a few arrange albums, as they look intimidating to me (way too much music to absorb, and not enough time).

Ashley Winchester May 17, 2017

This may be a shot in the dark, but am I the only one who thinks the original RE score works better in-game than outside of it? In game I think it hits all the right notes even if it's a little unrefined, but outside of the game it just loses points with me for some reason.

And no, I don't believe it's the way the OST is set up with the voice clips. I like hearing that cheesy dialog.

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB