Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages: 1

Bernhardt Feb 25, 2008 (edited Feb 25, 2008)

Carl wrote:

and since you're wondering about it's Style, here was my impressions post when it first came out:

http://altpop.com/stc/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2566

Forum search is helpful!

Uhh...somehow, with the flamboyant packaging, I kind of expected either some really chill or upbeat electronica, especially when I consider that Super Sweep is part of the project, I'd definitely expect electronica, after listening to their efforts on Phantom Kingdom, Nanosweep, and practically every thing else they have to offer...

Honestly, the cinematic tracks of a soundtrack are always the first parts that I just pitch; they're just not exciting enough for me.

Care to slip me some music samples?

Bernhardt Apr 2, 2008 (edited Apr 2, 2008)

Well, you guys are lousy are describing things, let alone reviewing.

What we practically got here is another Shadow Hearts soundtrack! Which is a good thing, just not what I expected.

I'll still hold that the bright cover graphic contrasts greatly with the dark, macabre nature of the game and its music.

Zane Apr 2, 2008

Bernhardt wrote:

What we practically got here is another Shadow Hearts soundtrack! Which is a good thing, just not what I expected.

Yeeeeeeah, no.

Bernhardt Apr 2, 2008

McCall wrote:
Bernhardt wrote:

Well, you guys are lousy are describing things, let alone reviewing.

o_0

Relax, I only mean it jokingly.

Chris Apr 2, 2008

Dark and macabre sums up the mood certainly. It doesn't remind me of Shadow Hearts stylistically and what Ramza said is more the case. I think it helps to have played the game to really appreciate the score here. I haven't, but I still think it's a great effort. I'm really surprised by how well Super Sweep composed the orchestral music here and felt they complemented Kenji Kawai well without creating a derivative cinematic soundtrack.

Ramza Apr 3, 2008

Chris wrote:

Dark and macabre sums up the mood certainly. It doesn't remind me of Shadow Hearts stylistically and what Ramza said is more the case. I think it helps to have played the game to really appreciate the score here. I haven't, but I still think it's a great effort. I'm really surprised by how well Super Sweep composed the orchestral music here and felt they complemented Kenji Kawai well without creating a derivative cinematic soundtrack.

Having played the game, it is certainly true. Associating the events and environments of this BEAUTIFUL, surrealistic game with the music certainly goes a long way.

The last Kenji Kawai soundtrack I really got into was Nobunaga's Ambition Online. And I think what he wrote for Folklore is much better than that.

Just to let y'all know, I have an upcoming interview with Shinji Hosoe otw for RPGFan. We will be discussing his contributions to Folklore, among other things. smile

Bernhardt Oct 11, 2008 (edited Oct 11, 2008)

Finally took the time to give this a full listen-through; there are indeed some very hauntingly beautiful soundscapes here, there are a few string solos, piano solos, etc.; it's orchestral style music, and rather chamber worthy, IMO. Also some nice choruses included in places.

So, if you want something orchestral to listen to, and very eerie at that, this'll fit the bill.

Come to think of it, it really reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus in some respects...

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB