Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

FuryofFrog Oct 4, 2010

Does anyone else hate it when by some stroke of fate your jewel cases get cracked. I was sitting down in my room re-ripping some of my CastleVania OST collection when my brothers come in and trip on my lovely pile of OSTs. Now Gallery of Labyrinth and Dracula X/Bloodlines are both cracked. The inserts are still fine but to know that my collection is horribly marred is attacking my brain. Spending the kind of money on Drac X is not something I want to do again but I have this feeling that I might go out and replace them at some point.

With that being said does anyone know any places that sell the White Double Disc Jewel Cases or the Double Disc Gallery of Labyrinth style case? Does it bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? I remember buying a brand new copy of the Seiken Densetsu 3 OST and upon opening the teeth holding disc 3 were already busted. Stuff like that really disheartens me.

jb Oct 4, 2010

I'm a perfectionist and a completionist but there's only so much you can do you know?  I occasionally get cracked CDs casesin the mail and I just put them on the shelf as with any physical collection of any sorts things are bound to wear over time. Cases are just one of the easier things to break.

My brother took the stickers out of my ff7 sscx non le edition and used them on his notebook for school. I was pissed but what am I going to do about it? 

I'm sure you can buy replacement cases for them if you want. I've never gone that far though. wink

Ashley Winchester Oct 4, 2010

Actually, I know how you feel... I'll go to great lengths to satisfy my needs for perfection. I've pretty much replaced all the cases on all my PS1 games and will do everything in my power to make sure they are complete and non-greatest hits versions. OC? Most definately.

Still, for some reason I'll let stuff like that slide on carts - probably cause I know how hard it is to keep those boxes in good shape/around.

Pellasos Oct 4, 2010

yea, i bought a few older OSTs last month and on one of them had the front case cracked. luckily, it was a standard case so it's replacable.

what bothers me more is when used stuff is dirty and scratched. hard to fix that....

Tim JC Oct 4, 2010

Oh well, accidents happen. That stuff used to bug me so much also, but I just tell myself it's all going to perish one day anyway. Might as well not lose sleep over it. Still, the OCD side of me knows it's there....

If I'm responsible for the damage (I have dropped a few cases or accidentally leaned on them) then I accept the fact and try to be more careful. When they come from the store that way it's a bit more bothersome. Especially when you know it was somebody on the other end that shouldn't have packaged it that way. One time I got a CD that had the booklet creased and rumpled so badly I had a hard time pulling it out of the case.

It also bugs me the way other people treat their things. I don't put so much as a fingerprint on any of my discs, but the few I've lent out over the years have all come back (well, one didn't even make it back) with some type of permanent marking. I'm admittedly a neat freak, but I honestly don't know what people do to put this type of wear on their stuff. You take the disc out, you put the case on a shelf or table or the top of your TV, or at least a part of the floor out of the way of foot traffic. How hard is that? And where is the dirt coming from? Unless you have dogs or live in a tepee I don't know how to explain all that grime. Maybe I don't want to know. Couch crevices aren't the best places to store things, and neither is the floor of your car. Also, the trash can is where garbage goes, not those aforementioned places. Reminds me of that Friends episode where Ross ends up in a woman's apartment filled with crap and there's something moving underneath all the crap.

/soapbox

It's not so much the state of my material possessions that concerns me but the lack of respect some people show. They're just too lazy to care. Anyway, if you really want to damage a CD, the most fun way is, of course, the microwave.

Ashley Winchester Oct 4, 2010

Tim JC wrote:

It also bugs me the way other people treat their things. I don't put so much as a fingerprint on any of my discs, but the few I've lent out over the years have all come back (well, one didn't even make it back) with some type of permanent marking. I'm admittedly a neat freak, but I honestly don't know what people do to put this type of wear on their stuff. You take the disc out, you put the case on a shelf or table or the top of your TV, or at least a part of the floor out of the way of foot traffic. How hard is that? And where is the dirt coming from? Unless you have dogs or live in a tepee I don't know how to explain all that grime. Maybe I don't want to know. Couch crevices aren't the best places to store things, and neither is the floor of your car. Also, the trash can is where garbage goes, not those aforementioned places. Reminds me of that Friends episode where Ross ends up in a woman's apartment filled with crap and there's something moving underneath all the crap.

/soapbox

It's not so much the state of my material possessions that concerns me but the lack of respect some people show. They're just too lazy to care. Anyway, if you really want to damage a CD, the most fun way is, of course, the microwave.

I have to agree with all the above; stuff like this makes it really hard to find second-hand merchandise in decent condition sometimes.

Alcahest Oct 5, 2010

lolthread.
But then, is it better to keep the original cracked case, or to switch it for a mint case you know isn't the original?
Completionists & perfectionists (and both) out there, thoughts? ^^;

Ashley Winchester Oct 5, 2010

Moses wrote:

People, you're sick. Seek a doctor.

Hmmm... I have a hard time caring about what you say, I mean ever since you made it perflectly clear how you feel about homosexuals in that other thread. I think that's a bigger problem. You're sick, seek a doctor.

the_miker Oct 5, 2010

Alcahest wrote:

is it better to keep the original cracked case, or to switch it for a mint case you know isn't the original?
Completionists & perfectionists (and both) out there, thoughts? ^^;

Keep the original cracked case for sure.  Original cases with imperfections beat out new non-original cases any day.  Especially true if it's something you plan on keeping forever, be proud to show off those battle scars!

Quite a few of my VGM albums aren't even close to being "mint" anymore but they're mine and I don't plan on selling them, so I'm fine with it as long as the disc is still playable.  Back when I bought the FFVII OST (my first VGM purchase) I'd take it with me everywhere along with a Sony Discman, so naturally the outer case is pretty beat up.  Wouldn't have it any other way though. big_smile

Tim JC Oct 5, 2010

the_miker wrote:
Alcahest wrote:

is it better to keep the original cracked case, or to switch it for a mint case you know isn't the original?
Completionists & perfectionists (and both) out there, thoughts? ^^;

Keep the original cracked case for sure.  Original cases with imperfections beat out new non-original cases any day.  Especially true if it's something you plan on keeping forever, be proud to show off those battle scars!

Quite a few of my VGM albums aren't even close to being "mint" anymore but they're mine and I don't plan on selling them, so I'm fine with it as long as the disc is still playable.  Back when I bought the FFVII OST (my first VGM purchase) I'd take it with me everywhere along with a Sony Discman, so naturally the outer case is pretty beat up.  Wouldn't have it any other way though. big_smile

Right on, the music is what matters! But this reminds me, FFVII OST was my first purchase as well, and I wrote in the booklet with a pen all the English translations for the track titles. Looks horrible now. I did that with a number of my first soundtracks actually, until I started writing the names on a separate piece of paper. I just had to know the name of the song I was listening to.

Pellasos Oct 5, 2010

Alcahest wrote:

lolthread.
But then, is it better to keep the original cracked case, or to switch it for a mint case you know isn't the original?
Completionists & perfectionists (and both) out there, thoughts? ^^;

i keep the original cracked case if it isn't 100% identical to the regular jewel cases you find everywhere. i don't want to disturb the harmony wink

Moses Oct 6, 2010

Ashley Winchester wrote:
Moses wrote:

People, you're sick. Seek a doctor.

Hmmm... I have a hard time caring about what you say, I mean ever since you made it perflectly clear how you feel about homosexuals in that other thread. I think that's a bigger problem. You're sick, seek a doctor.

What, telling the truth instead of politically correct BS? Unlike you, I'm perfectly sane.

Ashley Winchester Oct 6, 2010 (edited Oct 6, 2010)

Moses wrote:
Ashley Winchester wrote:
Moses wrote:

People, you're sick. Seek a doctor.

Hmmm... I have a hard time caring about what you say, I mean ever since you made it perflectly clear how you feel about homosexuals in that other thread. I think that's a bigger problem. You're sick, seek a doctor.

What, telling the truth instead of politically correct BS? Unlike you, I'm perfectly sane.

I'd rather worry about a jewel case being cracked than what orifices people are making love to behind closed doors - at least I have control over the former. Sorry if that confuses you. If you feel like wasting time with the later, by all means beat that bible a little bit harder, you seem to have a nack for it. Real original for someone named Moses...

Ashley Winchester Oct 6, 2010 (edited Oct 6, 2010)

Moses wrote:

You're delusional.

Actually, keep this coming; it's fun....

And why am I delusional? For letting people live their lives and not stoning them because they f--- the "wrong" hole? If you believe in God, why would you bother wasting your time hating a group of people he's "supposedly" sending to hell for being "supposedly wicked" anyway?

I think that's delusional.

Moses Oct 6, 2010

You're delusional because you assume that someone who doesn't appreciate homosexuality and uses "Moses" as his nickname is a religious zealot. As a matter of a fact, I'm an atheist.

Razakin Oct 6, 2010

Moses wrote:

You're delusional because you assume that someone who doesn't appreciate homosexuality and uses "Moses" as his nickname is a religious zealot. As a matter of a fact, I'm an atheist.

Well, you're an asstheist if you don't appreciate homosexuality. Go away and stop ruining the 'reputation' of atheists, even if there's lots of more idiots in that silly bunch of people.

*Disclaimer: people who believe in some silly religion are also silly.

Ashley Winchester Oct 6, 2010 (edited Oct 6, 2010)

Moses wrote:

You're delusional because you assume that someone who doesn't appreciate homosexuality and uses "Moses" as his nickname is a religious zealot. As a matter of a fact, I'm an atheist.

I believe the word you're looking for is "ignorant." Yes, you can be "delusional" about things you don't know but it's not really a good fit in this case.

Anyway, I can't read minds and really, outside of your initial, "ignorant" post - which really gave anyone with eyes a glimpse of the real Moses – that’s all I really need to know about you. I'd rather be as obsessive compulsive geek than a bigot and that has nothing to do with being politically correct. I have some friends who don't like gays and that doesn't drive us apart because that's their opinion; the difference between them and you is they can present their opinion in a respectful manner.

As for making fun of your name, that was just in good fun and way too funny to pass up. If you're name was anything non-biblical, I wouldn't have gone there.

Additionally, I have to wonder, does your problem with gays perhaps stem from issues with your own sexual identity? It's always those with a grudge against homosexuals that get annoyed when their own sexuality is called into question, and quite frankly, that is simply hysterical.

Next you’ll tell me you’ve never had a homosexual thought.

Moses Oct 6, 2010

Moses wrote:

My disdain of homosexuals really stems from being disgusted by their sexual practices.

That's the original quote. Nothing's changed since then. It's just a honest opinion.

Ashley Winchester Oct 6, 2010

Moses wrote:
Moses wrote:

My disdain of homosexuals really stems from being disgusted by their sexual practices.

That's the original quote. Nothing's changed since then. It's just a honest opinion.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Bye.

Tim JC Oct 6, 2010

I propose that Moses and Ashley Winchester are actually one and the same, and are in fact offshoot personas of the original poster, FuryofFrog, who created this topic to hash out his conflicting thoughts over OCD and homophobia.

Looks like I've...

(puts on shades)

cracked another case.

.......
(No offense to any of the names above, good sirs.)

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB