Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

LiquidAcid Aug 1, 2013

Back in November 2012 I posted that I did start playing Xenoblade with a friend. Today, after ~197 hrs of ingame play time, we finished the game. Truly a masterpiece. I'm a bit sad that it's over. We could still have aimed to defeat the lvl 120 superboss, and we also had like three heart-to-hearts which we didn't do. Except for some minor stuff, we pretty much maxed out everything.

We decided to go back in time a bit, and start with Xenogears next week. Which will be a replay for me, and a first for my friend.

Amazingu Aug 1, 2013

LiquidAcid wrote:

Back in November 2012 I posted that I did start playing Xenoblade with a friend. Today, after ~197 hrs of ingame play time, we finished the game. Truly a masterpiece. I'm a bit sad that it's over. We could still have aimed to defeat the lvl 120 superboss, and we also had like three heart-to-hearts which we didn't do. Except for some minor stuff, we pretty much maxed out everything.

We decided to go back in time a bit, and start with Xenogears next week. Which will be a replay for me, and a first for my friend.

I actually recently started replaying it (played the JP version twice and am now getting round to the EU one) and it's still a fantastic experience.
This might just be my favorite RPG, or favorite game period, ever.

LiquidAcid Aug 2, 2013

Amazingu wrote:

I actually recently started replaying it (played the JP version twice and am now getting round to the EU one) and it's still a fantastic experience.
This might just be my favorite RPG, or favorite game period, ever.

In fact we did load the "new game plus" savegame after the end credits, just to see how it plays like. I didn't even remember how good the intro sequence was and how it already shows a big chunk of the areas on Bionis. The enemies you encounter are however all killed with a single hit, which breaks immersion for me. Of course, that's not what NG+ is meant for. Killing the Avalanche Abaasy would be tempting, but I'd probably just use the last savegame in the first game for this.

Speaking about replay, I would definitely do this. Like I said, not NG+ style and also much later (a year or so). This really needs some time to "sink in". I always feel exhausted after finishing these grand games, in a good way though smile

Amazingu Aug 2, 2013

@GoldfishX
Do what I did (and a lot of other people, I'm sure): softmod your Wii or Wii U so that it runs games from all regions and get the PAL version.


LiquidAcid wrote:

In fact we did load the "new game plus" savegame after the end credits, just to see how it plays like. I didn't even remember how good the intro sequence was and how it already shows a big chunk of the areas on Bionis. The enemies you encounter are however all killed with a single hit, which breaks immersion for me. Of course, that's not what NG+ is meant for. Killing the Avalanche Abaasy would be tempting, but I'd probably just use the last savegame in the first game for this.

Speaking about replay, I would definitely do this. Like I said, not NG+ style and also much later (a year or so). This really needs some time to "sink in". I always feel exhausted after finishing these grand games, in a good way though smile

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try NG+, but that kind of thing just is no fun to me at all. Leveling up and becoming stronger is the whole point of RPGs for me. If you start with godlike stats, the game is no fun at all.
The only game that did this right was Chrono Trigger, since at least NG+ offered a whole bunch of new endings.

XLord007 Aug 3, 2013

I've been mostly playing Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 which is rather underrated in my opinion. It's not as classic as the first BCR, but it's pretty good game in its own right. I think I'm over 75% done, and I hope to finish it in a week or so.

I also tried out Narco Terror (PS3) which is a mediocre twin stick shooter where you blow stuff and get bored before the end of the demo.

GoldfishX Aug 3, 2013

Lol, I have my Wii softmodded already. I just meant I wish I could resell 100 copies at double the price. $$$

I thought Xenoblade was too obvious, but it jumped in value faster than I thought it would.

Amazingu Aug 3, 2013

GoldfishX wrote:

Lol, I have my Wii softmodded already. I just meant I wish I could resell 100 copies at double the price. $$$

I thought Xenoblade was too obvious, but it jumped in value faster than I thought it would.

Haha, fair enough wink

It's really too bad that they released the game in such a small quantity.
It's too bad that US gamers had to beg Nintendo to bring the game over in the first place.

Idolores Aug 5, 2013

Final Fantasy VI. Or as I have always known it, Final Fantasy 3.

Holy shit, I had never noticed how horribly broken this game is until this playthrough. I know that certain FF games are easy to abuse (FFV or VIII spring readily to mind), but FF6 is ridiculous. It`s SO easy to break this game. Not even gonna mention the copious amount of bugs.

Still just as good of a story as I remember, though. And dat soundtrack. Had I the time, I`d make a pilgrimage back to the Squaresoft days.

Jay Aug 6, 2013

I am mostly playing Animal Crossing New Leaf and have put in a ridiculous amount of time into it. Loving it though.

I also played through Attack of the Friday Monsters, which is lovely. It has such a childlike innocence to it, a beautiful world and a simple story that we get to play through as an adult but see through the eyes of the main character, a child. The game mechanics are somewhat archaic and clunky and that's unfortunate but I think that is more than made up for by the feel and just the experience of the game. Really loved it.

XLord007 Aug 17, 2013

I finished Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (what I said earlier still applies) and have been mostly playing Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3 which is simply fantastic. If Resident Evil 4 and Zelda had a baby, it would be this game, and I love it. It's one of those rare games that I just can't put down, wanting to explore every inch and see what's next. I'm almost 90% done, and hoping to finish it soon.

I also tried The Wonderful 101 (Wii U) demo. Take Platinum Games' skill at making great action games and mix it with their similar skill at making weird games, and the result is part Pikmin, part Devil May Cry, and part Viewtiful Joe. It's weird and fun, but I have no idea how Nintendo is going to sell this thing. Good luck to them.

Amazingu Aug 17, 2013

XLord007 wrote:

I finished Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (what I said earlier still applies) and have been mostly playing Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3 which is simply fantastic. If Resident Evil 4 and Zelda had a baby, it would be this game, and I love it. It's one of those rare games that I just can't put down, wanting to explore every inch and see what's next. I'm almost 90% done, and hoping to finish it soon.

I also tried The Wonderful 101 (Wii U) demo. Take Platinum Games' skill at making great action games and mix it with their similar skill at making weird games, and the result is part Pikmin, part Devil May Cry, and part Viewtiful Joe. It's weird and fun, but I have no idea how Nintendo is going to sell this thing. Good luck to them.

I like that Tomb Raider is garnering so much critical acclaim, even if I didn't think it was THAT good.
I don't know if calling it the baby of RE4 and Zelda is accurate, but I do know it's not as good as either series.
It's a good game, but it feels like a good series being dumbed down for the masses. It's more Uncharted than anything else now.

As for 101, I'm biased obviously, but I think it's a game that everyone should be paying very close attention to.

XLord007 Aug 17, 2013

Amazingu wrote:
XLord007 wrote:

I finished Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (what I said earlier still applies) and have been mostly playing Tomb Raider (2013) on PS3 which is simply fantastic. If Resident Evil 4 and Zelda had a baby, it would be this game, and I love it. It's one of those rare games that I just can't put down, wanting to explore every inch and see what's next. I'm almost 90% done, and hoping to finish it soon.

I like that Tomb Raider is garnering so much critical acclaim, even if I didn't think it was THAT good.
I don't know if calling it the baby of RE4 and Zelda is accurate, but I do know it's not as good as either series.
It's a good game, but it feels like a good series being dumbed down for the masses. It's more Uncharted than anything else now.

I don't think that Tomb Raider 2013 is quite as good as RE4 or a mainline 3D Zelda game, but it's damn good, and far, far better than any previous Tomb Raider game. I'd also say it's far better than any of the Uncharted games, mostly because the combat isn't atrocious like Uncharted's.

Wanderer Aug 17, 2013

Working on Ys: Oath in Felghana. It's so good, really scratching that action RPG itch I've had for a while. The rockin' music just makes the whole thing even better and more intense.

Pellasos Aug 20, 2013

currently enjoying Dragon's Crown. a big and pretty beat 'em up release in 2013.

sometimes we certainly can have nice things.

GoldfishX Aug 20, 2013

Pellasos wrote:

currently enjoying Dragon's Crown. a big and pretty beat 'em up release in 2013.

sometimes we certainly can have nice things.

They had this at Otakon. Was getting a lot of 4 player love.

Finally, a PS3 exclusive I'm somewhat envious of.

Amazingu Aug 20, 2013

GoldfishX wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

currently enjoying Dragon's Crown. a big and pretty beat 'em up release in 2013.

sometimes we certainly can have nice things.

They had this at Otakon. Was getting a lot of 4 player love.

Finally, a PS3 exclusive I'm somewhat envious of.

I've been playing this for the past couple of weeks.
It's quite entertaining, although at times it's hard to see what's going on, especially with multiple players on screen.

I find the game much more enjoyable when playing alone, but that's probably just me.

XLord007 Aug 21, 2013

I finished Tomb Raider (loved every minute of it) and started Trine, but I can't say I'm finding it all that engaging, so I may drop it for something else in the near future.

Pellasos Aug 23, 2013

GoldfishX wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

currently enjoying Dragon's Crown. a big and pretty beat 'em up release in 2013.

sometimes we certainly can have nice things.

They had this at Otakon. Was getting a lot of 4 player love.

Finally, a PS3 exclusive I'm somewhat envious of.

it's pretty easy to pick up and play. the artwork pulls people in as well. it's also on the vita btw.



Amazingu wrote:
GoldfishX wrote:
Pellasos wrote:

currently enjoying Dragon's Crown. a big and pretty beat 'em up release in 2013.

sometimes we certainly can have nice things.

They had this at Otakon. Was getting a lot of 4 player love.

Finally, a PS3 exclusive I'm somewhat envious of.

I've been playing this for the past couple of weeks.
It's quite entertaining, although at times it's hard to see what's going on, especially with multiple players on screen.

I find the game much more enjoyable when playing alone, but that's probably just me.

it can get a bit hectic, especially at the beginning when you aren't used to the battle effects. i think it'll be easier over time. i currently play this in local co-op. sometimes we add another cpu companion.

XLord007 Aug 25, 2013

Tried a bunch of games:

Ajare & Watch (360)
-Bad attempt at making a humorous Game & Watch clone.

Ascent of Kings (360)
-Mediocre side-scrolling adventure game.

DLC Quest: Live Freemium or Die (360)
-Just as charming as the original.

Loot Grinder (360)
-Makes a whole game out of the 16-bit FF battle system and shops. It's kind of ok, actually.

Spelunky (360)
-An interesting mix of a roguelike and La Mulana. I like La Mulana, but I'm no fan of roguelikes.

Voxel Runner (360)
-Ok for what it is.

Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition (360)
-Balls. Stinky, stinky balls.

Madden NFL 25 (360)
-Good, but I still wish I could skip the defense parts. Also, crazy uncanny valley Jim Nantz and Phil Simms.

Mega Man Unlimited (PC)
-It's ok, but Street Fighter x Mega Man is more fun.

Hotline Miami (PSV)
-Fun and challenging.

Rogue Legacy (PC)
-Not at all fun.

XLord007 Aug 27, 2013

The physical version of New Super Luigi U finally came out, so I picked it up. This game is HARD, especially if you want to collect the star coins. It's kinda fun to whip through the super short stages and ignore the star coins, but if you want the star coins, prepare to suffer. This is easily the hardest Mario platform game since Lost Levels, if not ever.

Jay Aug 30, 2013

Played through Miami Hotline on Vita. The soundtrack is superb and I loved the atmosphere but the gameplay didn't work for me at all early on. It felt twitchy, uncontrolled and too old school for its own good.

It did eventually click with me after around chapter five and I began to enjoy it and got into it more and more as it went on. By the end, yes, I liked it. But I still found myself wishing it was more controlled and that the enemies acted with more logic.

Still, a very interesting game.

XLord007 Sep 3, 2013 (edited Sep 4, 2013)

Tried a bunch of games at PAX Prime:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
-Looks and plays wonderfully. 3D effect is great, and the unified consumables meter simplifies gameplay in a good way. Easily my most wanted game at the moment. The Sideways New York mechanic is interesting, but its different art style is kind of dissonant with the rest of the game's art style.

Shantae & the Pirate's Curse (3DS)
-Like its predecessors, this one is absolutely gorgeous and it plays well to boot! I'm a little sad that Shantae won't have her genie powers in this one (she gains pirate weapons instead), but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

Forza Motorsport 5 (XB1)
-I wasn't too impressed with what little you could do in the demo for this one, and it just didn't feel that great to me.

Killer Instinct (XB1)
-Graphics are good, but I have no idea how to play a KI game, and it's hard to have fun playing a fighting game when you have no idea what's going on.

Puppeteer (PS3)
-I was expecting to like this one a lot more than I did. It's a single-screen platformer where you collect things using the right stick while jumping around, and it's really not much fun despite the lush graphics and interesting premise.

Rain (PS3)
-Super interesting 3D puzzle/platformer. Think Ico but instead of escorting a girl, you're an invisible boy who can only be seen when being rained on. I really like what I played, and I definitely intend to pick this one up when it lands on PSN.

Divekick (PS4)
-After all the hype and Tim Rogers' insane promo video, I was expecting more. I like the idea of a two-button fighting game, but I miss having stick controls. Without those, it's really not for me.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4)
-If you can imagine a 3D QWOP with a story about an Octopus, that's this game. It's delightfully weird, but the controls are too irritating to make it worth playing.

DriveClub (PS4)
-Surprisingly good for a launch racer.

Resogun (PS4)
-Very difficult twin stick shooter where you scroll around the outside of a cylinder.

Super Time Force (360)
-A Contra style game with multiple characters and a unique recording mechanic where your previous attempts help you along after they die. It's hard to explain, so seek out trailers if you want to see it in action. It's a very cool idea, but very difficult to play.

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
-If you like Heavy Rain, this one should be very high on your list. The demo I played focused on the more action oriented bits, but it still uses mostly Simon Says style gameplay and it's still intense and gripping, making you eager to play more.

Tearaway (PSV)
-A 3D platformer in a world made of paper, you interact with the world through both the touch screen and rear touch panel. I wasn't very impressed with it, but I could see kids getting a big kick out of it.

Owlboy (PC)
-Announced years ago, this one is coming along nicely. There wasn't a whole lot to do in the demo I tried, but the potential is there, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final game whenever it's done.

Escape Goat 2 (PC)
-I'm a huge fan of the first game on 360, and this one brings back my favorite goat and mouse team for more goodness. The new art style is more accessible (not sure how I feel about that), but the gameplay is rock solid, and I can't wait until this gets ported to console so I can pick it up.

Towerfall (PC)
-Widely recognized as the only good game on the Ouya, this PC port of Towerfall is a very fun 4-player battle game. I wasn't expecting to like it, but it really is a great deal of fun, and it should be a party favorite once it arrives on platforms with more sizable install bases.

Transistor (PC)
-The hotly anticipated follow up to Bastion, I love the crisp, warm art in Transistor, but I'm more ambivalent about the core attack queuing mechanic, and I flat out dislike the talking sword (no match for Bastion's narrator).

Gunpoint (PC)
-A 2D stealth infiltration game, Gunpoint is very interesting, but it currently lacks controller support which is a big negative in my book. Was funny to have one of the game's composers play the trumpet at me every time I died.

TerraEpon Sep 4, 2013

Shame to hear about Puppeteer as it looks great hmm

Nice to hear Shantae is shaping up though...

XLord007 Sep 4, 2013

TerraEpon wrote:

Shame to hear about Puppeteer as it looks great

It's visually lovely, but when you play it, it really comes across as a game meant for young children, and not much of a true platform game like I was hoping for.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB