Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

XISMZERO Jun 20, 2016

avatar! wrote:

You're entitled to your own opinions of course. Personally, I think the game looks great! I really enjoyed Wind Waker, and this Breath doesn't look the same in my eyes.

It's undeniable that Nintendo has been using the backbone of Wind Waker onto every future Zelda game since Wind Waker. I don't know, this just seems extremely lazy to me not to build from the ground up after 15 years of using the same thing and truly make it look like a fresh new Zelda. Every Zelda after WW has had such a cartoony feel.

avatar! Jun 21, 2016

XISMZERO wrote:

It's undeniable that Nintendo has been using the backbone of Wind Waker onto every future Zelda game since Wind Waker. .

Do you have evidence for this, or are you merely making things up? If this is true, please provide a link (no pun intended, but I'll take it smile

XISMZERO wrote:

I don't know, this just seems extremely lazy to me not to build from the ground up after 15 years of using the same thing and truly make it look like a fresh new Zelda. Every Zelda after WW has had such a cartoony feel.

If I was a gaming company WHY would I build from the ground up every single time?? Seems like a waste of time and money to me. Ultimately you may simply not like the art style, but I'm hopeful that Breath will be the Zelda game that Nintendo has always envisioned. Heck, I'm old enough to remember playing the original Zelda, and this is the first Zelda game that really looks like it might capture that same magic. We'll wait and see...

Qui-Gon Joe Jun 21, 2016

XISMZERO wrote:

Am I just being shallow then? No one is annoyed that the game still look/runs/ like Wind Waker?

While it clearly uses a cel shaded look, it's definitely more advanced that Wind Waker's and the gameplay looks substantially evolved as well.  That said, I loved the look of Wind Waker and think that it has aged far better than Twilight Princess.  Breath of the Wild has a certain otherworldly quality to it as if a Ghibli film and a Fumito Ueda game had a baby.  And it's gorgeous.

XISMZERO Jun 22, 2016

avatar! wrote:

Do you have evidence for this, or are you merely making things up? If this is true, please provide a link (no pun intended, but I'll take it smile

Come on, man. Just look at how this game moves. The combat and the way the enemies scamper away. You can at least date it back to TP if you can't already see this. That's evidence enough. If you can't make that observation, I can't help you. Either way, OOT looked more realistic but I don't think Miyamoto & Co. wants to do anymore even remote gritty realism fans were obsessed with during OOT and the Spaceworld 2000 demo era. Oh well.

avatar! Jun 22, 2016

XISMZERO wrote:
avatar! wrote:

Do you have evidence for this, or are you merely making things up? If this is true, please provide a link (no pun intended, but I'll take it smile

Come on, man. Just look at how this game moves. The combat and the way the enemies scamper away. You can at least date it back to TP if you can't already see this. That's evidence enough. If you can't make that observation, I can't help you. Either way, OOT looked more realistic but I don't think Miyamoto & Co. wants to do anymore even remote gritty realism fans were obsessed with during OOT and the Spaceworld 2000 demo era. Oh well.

Sorry, but "just looking" at it is really not "evidence enough" to claim that "It's undeniable that Nintendo has been using the backbone of Wind Waker onto every future Zelda game". In fact, if I had to take bets, I would bet you are wrong. Still, you're certainly entitled to not like the art style of the game. I think you're in the minority here, but nothing wrong with that.

XISMZERO Jun 22, 2016 (edited Jun 22, 2016)

avatar! wrote:

"just looking" at it is really not "evidence enough" to claim that "It's undeniable that Nintendo has been using the backbone of Wind Waker onto every future Zelda game"

Then everybody's drinking the red potion. Again, I love the ideas behind this game but this game has a tired backbone of a toon Link engine. Go watch some footage of older games since you're just blind to it. If you don't care simply say so but this game moves like every console Zelda game since Wind Waker and I really don't think footage of WW, TP and SS would deny this game looks and feels the same outside of the open world created for it.

Here's Aonuma saying they used Wind Waker as a heavy influence. WW was already reused for TP but they made the game look dark and so many thought the game was realistic looking though the physics and realism were far better on the N64 for OOT and MM.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/aonuma-say … sion-of-th

Qui-Gon Joe Jun 23, 2016

XISMZERO wrote:

this game has a tired backbone of a toon Link engine.

Wait, are talking GAME ENGINE or art direction?  Because those two things are not the same.  From all the interviews I've read, Twilight Princess runs on the same ENGINE as Wind Waker without a cel shaded coat of paint over the top of it.  While I assume that Skyward Sword has some of its roots in the same engine, Link's actual control and the way the world moves and you interact with it feels different there than it did in Wind Waker.  All of the videos I've seen from this game look to be a step even farther away from the Gamecube titles (though technically yes, they might still be using the same code as a framework deep down underneath somewhere in the same way that Ocarina of Time was technically running on the same engine as Super Mario 64).

Ashley Winchester Oct 26, 2016

These will probably be fighting words, but I honestly don't think the original Zelda has held up unless you played it back in the day. I tired playing it for the first time a few years ago and all I wanted to do what was Link to the Past instead since it was the first Zelda I played. Often times nostalgia makes one overlook/influences your choices an awful lot and sometimes it doesn't. For example the original Metroid was pretty groundbreaking and is still important but I can easily admit it's aged kind of poorly despite loving the franchise.

However, by the same token, I do the same thing with the original Tomb Raider. I think the original PS1 Tomb Raider is still perfect but when I talked to a younger co-worker he had a lot of issues with it (controls, etc.) compared to the PS2 remake, which I thought was awful and nitpicked to death,

Anyway, sry. I'm not anything particularly original.

TerraEpon Oct 26, 2016

I actually disagree, I think the original Zelda is one of the least outdated games on the NES. Sure it has all the vague hints and things, but it controls well, and doesn't feel limited like a lot of NES games do.

raynebc Oct 26, 2016

I never understood how people could know how to proceed through Zelda 1 unless they already knew what to do.  Some of those old games are WAY too light on guidance.

Amazingu Oct 26, 2016

Agreed, I think the original Zelda was a great concept, but terribly executed.
I'm not someone who needs excessive hand-holding in my games, but I don't like having to figure out incredibly obscure things in order to process either.

Ashley Winchester Oct 26, 2016

Amazingu wrote:

Agreed, I think the original Zelda was a great concept, but terribly executed.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I mean if you compare the original Zelda to say, the original Hydlide, which actually came out before it on the MSX2, Zelda was an achievement in what it accomplished. What Hydlide did Zelda simply did much better.

Again, I don't think the original Zelda is bad, I just think time has thrown it's two cents into the equation. Even with time gnawing at its heels from a technical standpoint I don't think you can take anything away from it - like Metroid. I think I can say that with a pretty significant amount of confidence even though I never really connected with it.

However, I'd probably be singing a different tune had I grown up with it. I mean look at how I can  turn a blind eye to TR's problems solely based on it being my first 3D platformer.

GoldfishX Oct 26, 2016

See, I grew up with the game. smile I think the beauty of Zelda 1 was always that feeling of "Hmm, this looks slightly odd...I should investigate!" I remember burning the bush and was like "Holy shit! I'm on Level 8!" There were a couple discoveries like that, between the two quests. I think it was just the right size for what it tried to do. But I won't lie...I needed the guide to actually beat the game.

avatar! Oct 27, 2016 (edited Oct 27, 2016)

GoldfishX wrote:

See, I grew up with the game. smile I think the beauty of Zelda 1 was always that feeling of "Hmm, this looks slightly odd...I should investigate!" I remember burning the bush and was like "Holy shit! I'm on Level 8!" There were a couple discoveries like that, between the two quests. I think it was just the right size for what it tried to do. But I won't lie...I needed the guide to actually beat the game.

That's the thing. The original Zelda had a sense of exploration which you rarely find in most games. Most games are "go here to starter dungeon... then go here...then here... then here... here we give you a whole TWO choices! can you believe it? TWO. then go here..." whereas Zelda is as Goldfish said "woah! where should I go? let me try..." and I loved it. Honestly, one of the few modern games that made me feel the same is Dark Souls. All that said, and I keep repeating this, the Zelda hacks are SO much better than the original in execution. I've had more fun playing Zelda Outlands (hi-def too tongue  than I have many current gen games!

XLord007 Oct 30, 2016

raynebc wrote:

I never understood how people could know how to proceed through Zelda 1 unless they already knew what to do.  Some of those old games are WAY too light on guidance.

Couldn't agree more. Who has the time to try burning every bush and bombing every wall?

raynebc Oct 30, 2016

People that couldn't afford Nintendo Power or calling a game tip hotline, I suppose.

avatar! Jan 13, 2017 (edited Jan 13, 2017)

Maybe Nintendo read my rants, or maybe they finally decided to catch-up with, well, basically every single AAA game released in the past 10 years!! Better late than never...

"Breath of the Wild trailer reveals full voice acting"

http://zeldauniverse.net/2017/01/13/bre … ce-acting/

"The inclusion of voice acting brings Breath of the Wild closer to the standard set by the rest of the industry..."

Indeed. Glad to hear it tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Amazingu Jan 13, 2017

Hah, I didn't even stop to think about the fact that that's a series first.
I'm sure they still won't give Link any actual lines though.

Fantastic trailer, btw.

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB