Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

rein May 16, 2012

I recently learned that I've been using the wrong knot to tie my shoelaces all these years.  Since I switched over to the correct knot, my shoes have stopped coming untied.  This is a good reminder to me that even small, mundane tasks are worth reexamining once in a while.

James O May 17, 2012

rein wrote:

I recently learned that I've been using the wrong knot to tie my shoelaces all these years.  Since I switched over to the correct knot, my shoes have stopped coming untied.  This is a good reminder to me that even small, mundane tasks are worth reexamining once in a while.

I had that problem too... Then I switched to shoes with zippers instead =p

longhairmike Jun 4, 2012

after my uncle testified in a federal case against the polish mob, they put him in the witness protection program and his name was changed from Lech Tating to Brett Smilk

Dartannian Jun 4, 2012 (edited Jun 4, 2012)

James O wrote:
rein wrote:

I recently learned that I've been using the wrong knot to tie my shoelaces all these years.  Since I switched over to the correct knot, my shoes have stopped coming untied.  This is a good reminder to me that even small, mundane tasks are worth reexamining once in a while.

I had that problem too... Then I switched to shoes with zippers instead =p

I've got boots that open/close with zippers, and while they're easy on, easy off, no footwear provides comfort and support like footwear that requires laces/shoestrings.

Of course, I guess adjustable straps would provide a solution that's both easy on/easy off, but also adjusts to fit your feet. Still haven't found any boots like that, much less shoes. hmm

longhairmike Jun 7, 2012

back in the 80's, i lost a lot of money from a bad investment in a french roller-skaking venue,, it was called Rink le Bals

Dartannian Jun 7, 2012

Anyone know if there exist electric-powered lawn mowers, that run on a rechargeable battery that plugs into a wall outlet? I don't mind mowing lawns, but I can't stand the stench of gasoline that permeates my clothes and skin afterwards.

You'd think with, all the advances in technology, we'd take the more archaic tools, and modernize them more. Besides being powered by electricity, why not create lawn mowers that cut grass using LASERS? big_smile But that'd pretty deplete electricity more, than just one that uses rotating blades. Still...LASERS! big_smile

Razakin Jun 7, 2012

Just buy sheeps or goats. Nature's own lawnmovers, and really green to use.

Dartannian Jun 12, 2012 (edited Jun 12, 2012)

In Persona 3, your targeting reticule is shaped and patterned like the BMW logo...conspiracy?! Dun dun DUNNNN!!!

P.S. Dear Creators of Yu-Gi-Oh!, card games are NOT badass.

Jodo Kast Jun 17, 2012

I met someone today that has a master's degree in English. She told me she likes to read a lot of "magical realism". I made a very big mistake and asked her what that is. Wow. I didn't know whether to lecture her or just be ashamed to be a part of the United States. Apparently, universities are teaching people that improbable events in fantasies are realistic provided those events are kept to a minimum.

I then made another mistake and decided to see if I understood her completely. I asked if the movie "The Sixth Sense" qualifies as magical realism. Yes, it does. Apparently, the ability to see ghosts is minimalistic enough to disqualify it from being a fantasy.

Talking to women always, always just hurts my head.

Amazingu Jun 17, 2012

Jodo Kast wrote:

Talking to women always, always just hurts my head.

Because obviously she's dumb because she's a woman, right?

Razakin Jun 18, 2012

It also could be case of women being smarter than you and your lack of understanding making your head hurt. Or lupus.

Dartannian Jun 19, 2012 (edited Jun 19, 2012)

Smeg wrote:

It's never Lupus.

There was actually a TV spot awhile ago, rattling off symptoms and Lupus, and then saying... "If you experience any of these symptoms, you may have Lupus. Talk to your doctor today..." and, of course, having watched the first 4 seasons of House, I just laughed and said, "It's never Lupus!"

I got my juvenile sense of humor from watching the Pokemon anime too much when I was a kid.

Jodo Kast Jun 20, 2012

I thought of something today.

It is normal for me to think of things during the day.

It is abnormal for me to think of good, practical things.

So this thing I thought of is relevant enough to be a something.

This is what I thought of: There are hundreds, possibly thousands of churches in my city and surrounding area. But there is only one science center. Why not make a law requiring that churches and science centers be constructed in a 1:1 ratio?

The catalyst for my something idea came from this speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo

Also, I think I should be able to go to a building (for free) and learn about and study particle physics. Religious people get considerable luxuries, so why not rational people? Answer: religious people are in charge.

For every church I see, there should be a science center right next to it. The United States should be a science oriented country.

Dartannian Jun 21, 2012 (edited Jun 21, 2012)

Jodo Kast wrote:

This is what I thought of: There are hundreds, possibly thousands of churches in my city and surrounding area. But there is only one science center. Why not make a law requiring that churches and science centers be constructed in a 1:1 ratio?

Move out of Texas then, bigot. Or wherever you live. But I'm guessing Texas. They have a lot of churches. And chain restaurants. Probably more per square mile of land than any other state. big_smile

Jodo Kast wrote:

Answer: religious people are in charge.

Except that the world's supposed to be conquered and destroyed by the Anti-Christ. hmm

...

People of your mind only seemed to be offended by Christians. Never Buddhists, Hindis, or Muslims...even though the Muslims are always trying to BOMB US. Why is that? I'm just trying to understand.

Possessing any set of spiritualistic beliefs doesn't disallow a person from scientific thinking.

Razakin Jun 21, 2012

Dartannian wrote:

People of your mind only seemed to be offended by Christians. Never Buddhists, Hindis, or Muslims...even though the Muslims are always trying to BOMB US. Why is that? I'm just trying to understand.

Nice hyperbole with the muslims there buddy.

And what luxuries do religious people get? A church? Come on Jodo. And there's a place called library which does help a bit with the science study. Really don't understand the church / religion hate nowadays, especially if that side doesn't even try to shove their beliefs onto you. And seeing a church isn't shoving belief, and to be honest most of the churches are pretty nice looking in my eyes. But then, this also could be a cultural difference between US and Finland.

Dartannian Jun 21, 2012 (edited Jun 21, 2012)

Razakin wrote:
Dartannian wrote:

People of your mind only seemed to be offended by Christians. Never Buddhists, Hindis, or Muslims...even though the Muslims are always trying to BOMB US. Why is that? I'm just trying to understand.

Nice hyperbole with the muslims there buddy.

I'm stating that as a mocking point. There are a lot of people who blame the war in the Middle East on Islam vs. Christianity, or religion in general.

Razakin wrote:

Really don't understand the church / religion hate nowadays, especially if that side doesn't even try to shove their beliefs onto you.

I don't understand it, either, but bigotry AGAINST religion has become so popular these days, you can notice plenty instances of it in pop music, movies, TV, etc. People have created entire creative works of fiction just to denounce/indict religion. I think there's better uses of creative expression than bigotry.

And the part that really tears me apart, some of that music I actually like and find melodically pleasing, if only it weren't for its message.

Exhibit 1: Gotye "Don't Worry, We'll Be Watching You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6V_44ib … ature=plcp

Amazingu Jun 21, 2012

Dartannian wrote:

I'm stating that as a mocking point. There are a lot of people who blame the war in the Middle East on Islam vs. Christianity, or religion in general.

It might not be all of it, but you'd be stupid to think that has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand it, either, but bigotry AGAINST religion has become so popular these days, you can notice plenty instances of it in pop music, movies, TV, etc. People have created entire creative works of fiction just to denounce/indict religion. I think there's better uses of creative expression than bigotry.

People use art and media to convey messages, they have always done so, and they will always continue to do so.
Just because you don't like the message doesn't mean they should focus on something else.

I have no beef with people believing in some invisible dude in the sky. Belief what you want, be it the tooth fairy, leprechauns, smurfs, whatever. What I, and a lot of other people (including Jodo, I believe), have problems with is that these people who, in our eyes, believe in something completely ridiculous and unscientific are using their outdated and idiotic ideas to try and run the country/world in official matters.
And when their ideas are fueled by an ancient book with ancients beliefs, values and practices, a lot of other people are going to be frustrated.

People can believe whatever they want, but it becomes a major problem to others when they are given authority.

Jodo Kast Jun 22, 2012 (edited Jun 22, 2012)

Razakin wrote:

And what luxuries do religious people get? A church? Come on Jodo.

Yes. Precisely that. It's a bit silly, but here is how it plays out in my mind:

For free, religious people can choose amongst hundreds, thousands of buildings in which they may engage in their religious activities. The density of these buildings is so high that leisurely ambulation is sufficient.

Now, a person that wants to take part in particle physics must go through a university. There are no particle accelerators open to the public for non-specialists. Access to the world of science is difficult and expensive. Access to the religious world costs nothing other than the energy of ambulation.

This is the luxury I am referring to. The ease with which religious people may access their activities and further their understanding. The U.S. seems to be designed to facilitate the lives of religious people and hinder the lives of people interested in science.

Yes, there is a library in my area. A library. One library. Within easy walking distance of that library, there are 6 churches. And many, many more between that library and my condo. That library is roughly a 2 hour walk from my condo.

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB