Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

    Pages:
  • 1
  • 2

avatar! Dec 11, 2016 (edited Dec 11, 2016)

Finally got around to playing this! It really is fantastic...
So, I am playing it on the hardest difficulty setting. The first 10 or so hours it is a bit like Dark Souls, in that unless you are very careful a group of "easy" enemies will make short work of you. You do of course get more powerful, and the enemies do too, but once you gain levels it's much easier to dispose of them! Still, you can't just press x through the game! Overall, I would call the setting, theme, felling, as a mix between Dark Souls and Skyrim. Definitely, a very mature game (much more so than Dark Souls), brutal at times, honest, lots of "moral" decisions that are not black and white, beautiful game.
Not perfect of course. Some of the quests I have done are asinine -fortunately most are good if not great, but some are really lame. Some of the mini-games are lame too. The boxing mini-games while cool, are lame. You just keep hitting strong attack and basically your opponent is helpless. On the other hand, the Gwent (card) mini-game may just be the best mini-game ever in any video game. Music as always is fabulous. And, you get to have sex on a unicorn smile
The latter definitely made Conan's day... or night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLRuE1CLw

jb Dec 11, 2016

Honestly I hated everything about this game. Played it for like 6 hours and threw it out.

avatar! Dec 11, 2016

jb wrote:

Honestly I hated everything about this game. Played it for like 6 hours and threw it out.

To each their own. I think this is one of the best RPGs to come in a long time, and I think the fact that it has won over 250 Game of the Year awards and over 800 various awards really says all that needs to be said.

Amazingu Dec 11, 2016

avatar! wrote:

To each their own. I think this is one of the best RPGs to come in a long time, and I think the fact that it has won over 250 Game of the Year awards and over 800 various awards really says all that needs to be said.

Because if a game wins hundreds of awards it is objectively good and YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT.

Come on now, avatar.

(Disclaimer: I loved it and it was my GOTY last year, but still)

Ashley Winchester Dec 12, 2016

avatar! wrote:

I think this is one of the best RPGs to come in a long time, and I think the fact that it has won over 250 Game of the Year awards and over 800 various awards really says all that needs to be said.

Eh, not to start a fight here, but I've honestly never placed any kind of value on video game awards; however, that might be because games receiving awards was something that was spawned after I gave up caring about games. All I care about is if I like the game or not. When a game touts that it has won hundreds of award on its cover I couldn't care less. Also, when half of those awards are given out for partially-completed games at events like E3 it also fuels my disinterest in the idea of "awards."

However, I don't really place much stock in awards given to entertainment mediums either. The only two I can think of is Goodfellas should have won best picture in 1990 and Ghost deserved their 2016 Grammy win for "Cirice" IMO. Beyond those two I don't think about Grammys, etc.

avatar! Dec 12, 2016 (edited Dec 12, 2016)

Amazingu wrote:
avatar! wrote:

To each their own. I think this is one of the best RPGs to come in a long time, and I think the fact that it has won over 250 Game of the Year awards and over 800 various awards really says all that needs to be said.

Because if a game wins hundreds of awards it is objectively good and YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT.

Come on now, avatar.

(Disclaimer: I loved it and it was my GOTY last year, but still)

Objectively it is a "good" game. In terms of "liking" the game that is always subjective. However, just like books, movies, art, etc., games in principle win awards/praise because they are objectively "good". So my statement still stands. Again, you can dislike anything in terms of personal taste, but any game that wins so many awards is worth looking into in my opinion.

avatar! Dec 13, 2016

Amazingu wrote:

There is no such thing as "objectively good."

Period.

I'm not going to argue philosophy with you, although I did study philosophy during college. Regardless, I'll say you're welcome to your world view and I'll stick with mine. Many philosophers/scholars would agree with you, but certainly many would also disagree.

"INTRODUCTION: SUBJECTIVISM AND OBJECTIVISM"

http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/1 … -chapter-8

Also, many scientists would argue that "good" can often be thought of as a statistical value. If a game wins over 100 game of the year awards, the chances of it being a "good" game are extremely high, we're talking easily over 5-sigma. Just because someone does not enjoy a game does not mean it's not good, and vise-versa. What you said above "Because if a game wins hundreds of awards it is objectively good and YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT." can be correctly rewritten as "If a game wins hundreds of awards, it is likely a good game." I never said anything about "liking" a game. There are great games I don't like and have no intention of playing, but I will admit they are excellent nonetheless.

Amazingu Dec 13, 2016

I don't think "good" is a statistical value. I think it's a subjective statement.
But no point in arguing if science can't agree on it, I guess.

avatar! wrote:

There are great games I don't like and have no intention of playing, but I will admit they are excellent nonetheless.

This is just weird though.
How can you say a game is excellent if you've never played it!?

A statement like "it's won hundreds of awards, so I/you might like it" makes sense, but why would you say "it's excellent" without ever playing it? You might hate it!

avatar! Dec 13, 2016 (edited Dec 13, 2016)

Amazingu wrote:

This is just weird though.
How can you say a game is excellent if you've never played it!?

A statement like "it's won hundreds of awards, so I/you might like it" makes sense, but why would you say "it's excellent" without ever playing it? You might hate it!

Sure, I can hate an excellent game. Not liking a game is just my personal opinion. However, it doesn't mean the game isn't excellent, beautiful, artistic, etc. For example, I played a little bit of Grand Theft Auto III and didn't like it. Not my game. Had no interest in IV. Yet, I saw enough of the game to know it's excellent. No contradiction. Analogy: I've come across people that have barely read any Shakespeare and don't necessarily like Shakespeare, yet they wouldn't argue that Shakespeare was one of the greatest English writers. Why? [rhetorical question]

avatar! Dec 13, 2016

avatar! wrote:
Amazingu wrote:

This is just weird though.
How can you say a game is excellent if you've never played it!?

A statement like "it's won hundreds of awards, so I/you might like it" makes sense, but why would you say "it's excellent" without ever playing it? You might hate it!

Sure, I can hate an excellent game. Not liking a game is just my personal opinion. However, it doesn't mean the game isn't excellent, beautiful, artistic, etc. For example, I played a little bit of Grand Theft Auto III and didn't like it. Not my game. Had no interest in IV. Yet, I saw enough of the game to know it's excellent. No contradiction. Analogy: I've come across people that have barely read any Shakespeare and don't necessarily like Shakespeare, yet they wouldn't argue that Shakespeare was one of the greatest English writers. Why? [rhetorical question]

ASIDE: Damn, I do love this Witcher's Lullaby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFUsPfuwjpw

Amazingu Dec 14, 2016

avatar! wrote:

Analogy: I've come across people that have barely read any Shakespeare and don't necessarily like Shakespeare, yet they wouldn't argue that Shakespeare was one of the greatest English writers. Why? [rhetorical question]

That may have been rhetorical, but you're getting an answer anyway.

I still think it's contradictory to say you don't like Shakespeare and say that he's one of the greatest English writers. Are you sure that's exactly what these people said?
Influential, yes, absolutely, because that's an objectively measurable quality.
If you think Shakespeare's an overrated hack, why would you NOT argue against him being a great writer?

The only thing you can't deny is that he was extremely influential. Whether you think he's good or not is entirely subjective, and there are plenty of people who don't like him.

avatar! Dec 14, 2016

Amazingu wrote:
avatar! wrote:

Analogy: I've come across people that have barely read any Shakespeare and don't necessarily like Shakespeare, yet they wouldn't argue that Shakespeare was one of the greatest English writers. Why? [rhetorical question]

That may have been rhetorical, but you're getting an answer anyway.

I still think it's contradictory to say you don't like Shakespeare and say that he's one of the greatest English writers. Are you sure that's exactly what these people said?
Influential, yes, absolutely, because that's an objectively measurable quality.
If you think Shakespeare's an overrated hack, why would you NOT argue against him being a great writer?

The only thing you can't deny is that he was extremely influential. Whether you think he's good or not is entirely subjective, and there are plenty of people who don't like him.

I think what you say is indicative of society as a whole, and it's not healthy. The attitude is "I don't like it, therefore it's "bad" and should be changed. And if it's not going to be changed then it's crap, because I don't like it." I can not make anyone understand that something can be great even if you do not like it. If you don't see that, more's the pity. Fortunately, many of my friends and colleagues understand. I'm sure a large part of it is dependent on how one is raised etc. since my parents made me appreciate something even if I didn't like it. Regardless, I don't feel like arguing about this. I don't think I'll be able to change your mind, and you certainly won't change mine on this. No hard feelings of course.

Amazingu Dec 14, 2016

avatar! wrote:

I think what you say is indicative of society as a whole, and it's not healthy. The attitude is "I don't like it, therefore it's "bad" and should be changed. And if it's not going to be changed then it's crap, because I don't like it."

Wait what?
That's not what I'm saying at all!
Where am I saying anything I dislike should be changed!?

All I'm saying is that widespread praise does not mean you have to like something, or that it is "objectively good."

avatar! Dec 15, 2016

Amazingu wrote:

All I'm saying is that widespread praise does not mean you have to like something, or that it is "objectively good."

I certainly did not get that from your previous posts. However, I do agree.

Amazingu Dec 15, 2016

avatar! wrote:

I certainly did not get that from your previous posts.

It is LITERALLY the first thing I said:

Amazingu wrote:

Because if a game wins hundreds of awards it is objectively good and YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT.

Was the sarcasm not obvious enough?

Idolores wrote:

Snip snip. I shouldn't post when I've been drinking.

Adam, is there a way to undo other users' edits? wink

avatar! Dec 16, 2016

Hopefully I can finish Witcher 3 by the end of the holidays. It's not my most important goal or anything, but looking forward to spending quality time with Yennifer wink
and it's such a huge game, I wonder if they put in too many quests?

avatar! Dec 27, 2016 (edited Dec 27, 2016)

Some of the most amazing quests and writing I have ever encountered in an RPG.
I still haven't finished the game, but all is coming along. I'm almost done with the first expansion, Heart of Stone, and it's epic. Truly, fabulous writing, voice acting, and some thought-provoking difficult decisions to make. I have to say though, play control is NOT a strong feature of this game. Fighting some enemies is fun, but it's not Dark Souls in that regards. As for horseback riding, I think it's ridiculously poor. It should be fun and epic riding a horse into battle, yet the control on horseback sucks so much that it's a waste of time, I'm not even bothering with the remaining horse races -they're just not fun. But, overall the game is totally worth it.

Amazingu Dec 27, 2016

Yeah, I love the game, but combat is definitely not its strong suit.

Never had any problems with Roach though!

XLord007 Dec 29, 2016

I personally have little to no interest in The Witcher 3, but I discovered something interesting when I demoed it a friend's house. The controls on the PC version using a gamepad are far superior to the PS4 version's controls. I tried both of them at the same time to confirm that I wasn't crazy. I have no idea why this is, and I certainly haven't experienced this with other games, but it was almost a night and day difference. I guess CD Projekt Red or whoever they outsourced the PS4 version to didn't optimize those controls properly. Really weird.

avatar! Jan 1, 2017

It was a great game in many ways, but honestly, fell short of Skyrim or Dark Souls. Oh, it had a far better story in my opinion, with better characters, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9e7GSdfow

"10 Things Witcher 3 Players HATE"

I don't agree with his entire list, I would add: too many quests, too many kill the monsters then witcher sense the treasure quests, and of course the horrible horrible horse control, but yeah, most of his complaints are pretty spot-on.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB