Soundtrack Central The best of VGM and other great soundtracks

Please sign up or log in for the best forum experience!

Jodo Kast Jul 3, 2007

I don't know about everywhere else, but the theater near me decided to start showing it on July 2nd. I have no complaints and caught the 11:35 pm showing.

I would say that it helps, but is not necessary, to also be familiar with Beast Wars. This movie doesn't just draw from the original cartoon. If big explosions are what you want, then this will satisfy. The story was not good; it appears they took many liberties developing it. This is not meant to be thought-provoking.
I would give it a 10/10 for computer graphics mastery and 3/10 for the story. The puerile humor did not appeal to me; Michael Bay must still be 12 years old or something.

Ryu Jul 3, 2007

It was evident from the first picture released that this movie had little interest with following G1.  I've long since accepted that.

I have yet to see it and THE most important question bothering me is:  How does Starscream's voice actor sound?

avatar! Jul 3, 2007

*SIGH* I just knew with Bay directing that it would end up being explosions and dumb humor...grrr...

I fail to see why he keeps getting asked to direct! Oh well, at least this movie has brought Transformers into the limelight, so if any good comes out of it, perhaps we'll see a complete Transformers G1 DVD set released (I think thus far only bootleg complete sets were released)!

cheers,

-avatar!

XISMZERO Jul 3, 2007

Michael Bay productions always come off like movies that crap their own pants.

avatar! Jul 3, 2007 (edited Jul 3, 2007)

It actually received better reviews from critics than I anticipated

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808716430/info

of course, so far all the fans who saw it think it's great...which I know it isn't. Still, makes me ponder the sequels that will most likely come out. Maybe, the sequels will actually be good?? Yeah right! when has a sequel ever been as good as the original? (except with the Empire Strikes Back)

cheers,

-avatar!

Edit: Look at that, I just noticed apparently there's a movie based upon the Hitman video games coming out...meh!

Ryu Jul 3, 2007

You people are so damn bitter.  Regardless, I saw the movie and it is alright if you totally divorce the movie from G1.  Starscream's voice actor isn't right though.

And Olyphant might make a good Agent 47.

Angela Jul 3, 2007

avatar! wrote:

when has a sequel ever been as good as the original? (except with the Empire Strikes Back)

Aliens?  Terminator 2?  Toy Story 2?  Godfather II?

And, of course, the sequel to Jet Baby.  Because "part one was good too, but this one had more juice."

Jodo Kast Jul 3, 2007

avatar! wrote:

*SIGH* I just knew with Bay directing that it would end up being explosions and dumb humor...grrr...

I fail to see why he keeps getting asked to direct! Oh well, at least this movie has brought Transformers into the limelight, so if any good comes out of it, perhaps we'll see a complete Transformers G1 DVD set released (I think thus far only bootleg complete sets were released)!

cheers,

-avatar!

The Transformers G1 DVD sets have been out for more than 3 years now. I believe it was late 2004 when I finally got them all. But you did type 'complete'. In that sense, you are right. It's only possible to buy them season by season. But either way, it's complete, so I don't see the point in having them all in one box set. The price would probably still be the same.

Jodo Kast Jul 3, 2007

Ryu wrote:

You people are so damn bitter.  Regardless, I saw the movie and it is alright if you totally divorce the movie from G1.  Starscream's voice actor isn't right though.

And Olyphant might make a good Agent 47.

I did like the way Starscream 'acted'. His complete disregard for humanity was very true to his cartoon counterpart.

Kirin Lemon Jul 4, 2007

Jodo Kast wrote:

The Transformers G1 DVD sets have been out for more than 3 years now. I believe it was late 2004 when I finally got them all. But you did type 'complete'. In that sense, you are right. It's only possible to buy them season by season. But either way, it's complete, so I don't see the point in having them all in one box set. The price would probably still be the same.

The G1 DVDs are long out of print, after Rhino lost the license.  Right now it belongs to Sony, and with this movie and a new animated series on the way (which looks *awful*, by the way), I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony put out some new sets soon.

avatar! Jul 4, 2007

Angela wrote:
avatar! wrote:

when has a sequel ever been as good as the original? (except with the Empire Strikes Back)

Aliens?  Terminator 2?  Toy Story 2?  Godfather II?

And, of course, the sequel to Jet Baby.  Because "part one was good too, but this one had more juice."

Aliens was good, but I thought the original Alien had a much better, more frightening, and (obviously) more original story -although Aliens has a ton more action (and one liners), but I prefer a solid story. In my eyes Alien is the pinnacle of space monster movies.

I thought Terminator 2 was terrible. That is, if you're looking for substance... I have to agree with David Foster Wallace who called it “special effects porn”. Consequently, I think the first movie is much better, and has an original and strong storyline, whereas the second is all about special effects (which can be OK if that's what you're looking for, but personally I'm SO tired of computer graphics this and computer graphics that).

Haven't seen Toy Story 2, and can't remember anything from the Godfather II.

cheers,

-avatar!

avatar! Jul 4, 2007

Kirin Lemon wrote:
Jodo Kast wrote:

The Transformers G1 DVD sets have been out for more than 3 years now. I believe it was late 2004 when I finally got them all. But you did type 'complete'. In that sense, you are right. It's only possible to buy them season by season. But either way, it's complete, so I don't see the point in having them all in one box set. The price would probably still be the same.

The G1 DVDs are long out of print, after Rhino lost the license.  Right now it belongs to Sony, and with this movie and a new animated series on the way (which looks *awful*, by the way), I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony put out some new sets soon.

Well, it looks like people are asking an arm and half a leg for the G1 sets! I guess people figure now's the time to milk them for what they can... I do hope Sony releases a complete set, because it would be nice to have the entire collection in one compact box. Of course, knowing Sony they'll just release it on Blu-Ray and UMD tongue

cheers,

-avatar!

brandonk Jul 4, 2007

Released early?  You know what I thought when I saw that?  The movie company is trying to get a bigger 'July 4'th' take in...which is a total gimmick.  I think this movie is gone after the first week (no longevitiy)...

I had hoped Michael Bay would do something decent but that wasn't what happened.  First off...what was up with the pace of this movie?  It was all over the place.  Literal 'wait, what is happening now?' moments happened so frequently, I began to discredit this as an actual movie, and rather a flash of stuff on the screen by the hands of a disinterested story teller.  How much did Spielberg have in the production of this movie??

Probably the best moment, was when all of the autobots were introduced by Optimus  THAT is what the entire movie should have been like...I chuckled at a few things...'One Shall Stand, One Shall fall', or...'My Bad'...but it was too late at this point.  The problem with these types of movies, is that if you 'don't care' about the characters you introduce, there's no reason to 'go along for the ride'.   There wasn't much of a movie here, sadly.  I think it's embarrasing the release plan for the movie...this was well marketed in advance, you would think they could've spent more time creating a better picture.

1 Star

Idolores Jul 4, 2007

Angela wrote:
avatar! wrote:

when has a sequel ever been as good as the original? (except with the Empire Strikes Back)

Aliens?  Terminator 2?  Toy Story 2?  Godfather II?

And, of course, the sequel to Jet Baby.  Because "part one was good too, but this one had more juice."

Was that a Parappa reference?

Idolores Jul 4, 2007

I agree with Ryu, here. What the f--- were you people expecting? A Lord of the Rings epic grand scale world shaking experience? You all said before how much you hated Michael Bay (who doesn't deserve a lot of the shit said about him), and then you act affronted when this movie turns out to be not what you wanted.

Transformers has never really had a story to begin with. Good guys, bad guys, and some stuff gets blown up in the middle of it all. This is EXACTLY what the movie was. So technically, you can call it extremely faithful to the source material.

And so what if Optimus had flame decals? What of it?

In closing, as a popcorn filler summertime funride, I thought it succeeded beautifully.

brandonk Jul 4, 2007

Idolores wrote:

I agree with Ryu, here. What the f--- were you people expecting? A Lord of the Rings epic grand scale world shaking experience? You all said before how much you hated Michael Bay (who doesn't deserve a lot of the shit said about him), and then you act affronted when this movie turns out to be not what you wanted.Transformers has never really had a story to begin with. Good guys, bad guys, and some stuff gets blown up in the middle of it all. This is EXACTLY what the movie was. So technically, you can call it extremely faithful to the source material.

And so what if Optimus had flame decals? What of it?

In closing, as a popcorn filler summertime funride, I thought it succeeded beautifully.

I actually like some of Michael Bay's movies (The Island, Armageddon)...There was still hope after we found out who the director was..

Could be the extra '24' years of life, but this one didn't have any of the 'magic' the cartoon movie did.  Did ANYONE notice the soundtrack at all?  It was so buried, and what I did hear was instantly forgettable...This should have been a 'quiet' December release. instead of a Summer 4th of July. And did they really need to 'brain-wash' us for over 2.5 hours?  There are better  (and shorter) popcorn movies to be had.   It's refreshing to see a good movie every once in a while...1408 was such a movie

TerraEpon Jul 4, 2007

Kirin Lemon wrote:
Jodo Kast wrote:

The Transformers G1 DVD sets have been out for more than 3 years now. I believe it was late 2004 when I finally got them all. But you did type 'complete'. In that sense, you are right. It's only possible to buy them season by season. But either way, it's complete, so I don't see the point in having them all in one box set. The price would probably still be the same.

The G1 DVDs are long out of print, after Rhino lost the license.  Right now it belongs to Sony, and with this movie and a new animated series on the way (which looks *awful*, by the way), I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony put out some new sets soon.

I seem to remember that new releases are supposed to be coming. In a way, I hope they are exactly the same as the Rhino, so I have NO incentive to rebuy em...

-Joshua

Carl Jul 4, 2007

Ryu wrote:

...and it is alright if you totally divorce the movie from G1....

That's the main issue.  I'm choosing not to go see it at all, because to me Transformers *IS* Generation 1.  If everything from G1 is disregarded then it's not going to match MY vision of Transformers, so I'm not going to give Bay the reward of a ticket purchase.

Ryu Jul 4, 2007

Carl wrote:
Ryu wrote:

...and it is alright if you totally divorce the movie from G1....

That's the main issue.  I'm choosing not to go see it at all, because to me Transformers *IS* Generation 1.  If everything from G1 is disregarded then it's not going to match MY vision of Transformers, so I'm not going to give Bay the reward of a ticket purchase.

Honestly, it seems Hasbro and Takara both are quite interested in letting G1 go, as is evident from every version of Transformers released after Beast Wars (at least Beast Wars attempted to expand the timeline of G1).  However, if you watch any of the comic book movies you really have to do the same thing... even the much lauded Spider-man and Batman movies stray so far.

Angela Jul 4, 2007

avatar! wrote:

I thought Terminator 2 was terrible. That is, if you're looking for substance... I have to agree with David Foster Wallace who called it “special effects porn”. Consequently, I think the first movie is much better, and has an original and strong storyline, whereas the second is all about special effects (which can be OK if that's what you're looking for, but personally I'm SO tired of computer graphics this and computer graphics that).

I've known very few people who emphasize the special effects as Terminator 2's only merit, instead agreeing that it functions as a helpful asset in telling the story.  That you would call the original better because of its strong story is odd, as T2 is a sequel meant to further the existing plot.  If anything, it strengthened the first film's place as a preface to the conclusion of what's legitimately considered a two-part series.

I've read David's article before, and while I concur on some of his stated principles, there are others that I do not.  Quite obviously, I don't agree on the whole with his T2 review, but as for his tirade (and your own) on special effects and computer graphics..... Yes, it can be frustrating nowadays to see special effects used to such extents where it compromises a good story, but I hope you don't write off every movie with even a hint of CG as a bad one.   In the right hands, it can be an extremely useful tool for telling a great story.

avatar! Jul 5, 2007

Angela wrote:

I hope you don't write off every movie with even a hint of CG as a bad one.   In the right hands, it can be an extremely useful tool for telling a great story.

Oh, I totally agree! In fact, Pan's Labyrinth which is the best movie I've seen in a LONG time had some obvious CG here and there. In this case, the CG were used as an aid to the story, they did not the movie make! It's too bad that many movies these days are ALL about special effects, which just gets a yawn from me. However, interestingly enough, I've seen TV shows that make perfect use of CG! Two series that readily come to mind are "Band of Brothers" and "Walking with Dinosaurs". Both (two distinct television productions of very high quality) used CG in superb ways! In fact, I highly recommend both shows to anyone who hasn't seen them, and furthermore the music (available on CD) is top notch!!

cheers,

-avatar!

Jodo Kast Jul 5, 2007

Carl wrote:

That's the main issue.  I'm choosing not to go see it at all, because to me Transformers *IS* Generation 1.  If everything from G1 is disregarded then it's not going to match MY vision of Transformers, so I'm not going to give Bay the reward of a ticket purchase.

Carl, you'll live. There are far better movies out there without even a lick of CG. Heck, some of the low budget Korean movies I've seen from the 80s are better than any film with CG. I know that few people would side with me, but I prefer a movie that gives me something to think about. If you get a chance, find almost any movie by Kim Ki Duk or Hong Sang Soo or Lee Chang Dong.

Jodo Kast Jul 5, 2007

avatar! wrote:

I thought Terminator 2 was terrible.
-avatar!

I thought Terminator 3 was terrible. But part 2, how could anyone not like it? Up until that point, you had seen a liquid metal killing machine before? I have dreams about that damn thing. It's as cool as lightsabers or portable blackhole past viewers. How could you not like it? And without CG, how do you recommend creating a liquid metal terminator? Ask a large globule of mercury to cooperate for a while?

XLord007 Jul 5, 2007

Transformers
-I think the movie looks terrible, and while I had hoped to avoid seeing it, it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I'll post my impressions after I'm subjected to it.

T1 vs. T2
-Terminator 2 is a decent movie, but it is far inferior to the first one since the entire concept of the Terminator becoming a good guy flies in the face of what made the first one so good.

Latest Updates

Board footer

Forums powered by FluxBB