Even for those of us who treasure their own personal music collections, streaming services like Spotify are a great method of discovery, and there's now a wealth of great video game music to be found there as well. So much that it can be hard to keep track of everything that's out there, which is what this post is about.
I've compiled all the great game music on Spotify I can find on STC's "Game Music Best" playlists. The Game Music Orchestral & Instrumental Best playlist has the largest number of tracks (and listeners), but I encourage everyone to also check out the Chiptune & Game Synth Best and other playlists for great OSTs and impressive official and fan arrangements in all genres.
You can access everything from Soundtrack Central's Spotify profile page:
- web player: https://open.spotify.com/user/soundtrackcentral.com
- via Spotify app: spotify:user:soundtrackcentral.com
Here's a sample of what's out there.
Western game music
- Most major studio OST releases from Microsoft, Activision, EA and more (Uncharted, The Witcher, Halo, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Dragon Age, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War)
- Several of the major Western-produced arranged albums (Final Symphony & Symphonic Fantasies, Distant Worlds, The Greatest Video Game Music)
- A huge number of indie OSTs (Shovel Knight, Journey, Braid, Ori and the Blind Forest, Shatter, Cuphead, Celeste)
- A similarly large number of fan arrangements, many of which are released as singles instead of albums (the playlists are your friend here)
Japanese game music
- Just about every OST and arranged album from Falcom (Ys, Sorcerian, Xanadu, Zanmai, the Falcom Specials, you name it)
- An impressive assortment of Sega OSTs (Nights, Sonic, Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, OutRun, Rez Infinite)
- A few dozen SNK OSTs, including Metal Slug and their fighting series
Several Capcom OSTs (every main series Mega Man, Street Fighter II & IV, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil V & VII)
- Some random surprises (Winter's End: I Am Setsuna, The Last Guardian, Kirby 25th Anniversary Orchestra Concert)
Unsurprisingly the Japanese game studios have been lagging behind when it comes to streaming music, but with Spotify slowly picking up steam in Japan and Apple Music also released there, I expect several more Japanese publishers to eventually come around.
If everyone could post here with any favorites and noteworthy releases I've missed I'll do my best to update the playlists accordingly. The focus here has been on Spotify as it's what I personally use, but I welcome anyone to chime in on how Apple Music or other streaming music services fare as well.