Adam Corn May 16, 2011
This soundtrack has come up in passing several times in the new forums but with the repackaged re-release coming soon I thought it'd be a good time to dedicate a thread to the Sonic Adventure soundtrack. I've never heard it myself so a few of my own questions:
-The general impression I've always gotten is that it's a highly regarded soundtrack. How much did it impress you back in the day and has it stood the test of time?
-Is it closer in style to early 16-bit Sonic music or to more recent outings? Squarely between the two or completely its own thing?
-How well would you say the upcoming single-disc anniversary release encapsulates the best features of the soundtrack? Here's the new release's track list via VGMdb for reference:
01. Introduction ...featuring "Open Your Heart".
02. It Doesn't Matter ...Theme of "Sonic The Hedgehog".
03. Boss: CHAOS ver.0, 2, 4.
04. Azure Blue World ...for Emerald Coast.
05. Windy and Ripply ...for Emerald Coast.
06. Theme of "Dr. Eggman".
07. Egg Mobile ...Boss: Egg Hornet.
08. Windy Hill ...for Windy Valley.
09. The Air ...for Windy Valley.
10. Welcome to Station Square.
11. Blue Star ...for Casinopolis.
12. Mystic Ruin.
13. Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy ...for Ice Cap.
14. Twinkle Cart ...for Twinkle Park.
15. Pleasure Castle ...for Twinkle Park.
16. Theme of "CHAO".
17. Join Us 4 Happy Time ...for CHAO Race.
18. Run Through the Speed Highway ...for Speed Highway.
19. Mt. Red: a Symbol of Thrill ...for Red Mountain.
20. Egg Carrier - A Song That Keeps Us On The Move.
22. Skydeck A Go! Go! ...for Sky Deck.
23. Theme of "E-102y".
24. Crazy Robo ...Boss: E-101R.
25. Boss: CHAOS ver.6.
26. Tricky Maze ...for Lost World.
27. Theme of "Tikal".
28. Red Barrage Area ...for Hot Shelter.
29. Mechanical Resonance ...for Final Egg.
30. Perfect CHAOS Revival! ...Boss: Perfect CHAOS.
31. Open Your Heart - Main Theme of "Sonic Adventure" -
Judging from my limited recent Sonic experiences the absence of the event tracks seems like a good thing at least.